Lt. Commander
Hello!

Im purchasing the Excelsior for a new PVE solo ship. This is my first cruiser so i would appreciate advice.

First
Im a science officer
This will be a PVE solo ship for advanced difficulty.
I prefer beam arrays
I prefer regenerative shielding but I know most people use shields with a large capacity so am open to a change if you explain why these shields would be better.
I have a surplus of credits , 200+ emblems and 300 or so high end crafting data samples of each type.

My current theory lay out
Weapons: Not sure but there will be beams xD
Shields: Regenerative [Reg x 2]
Deflector: Aegis
Engines: My engine power I assume will be low so it will be combat impulse.

Consoles
Eng: Not really sure.
Tac: Bonus to what ever beam arrays I use x 3.
Sci: Halon , Bio monitor
I do own the Borg module just not sure where to place it.

Boffs
Science: Photonic Officer
Hazard emmiters or Polarize Hull I ( cant decide if I go polarize I will equip 2 bio monitors )
Science team II

Tactical: Not certain
Maybes : Beam array Overload , Tactical team , Attack pattern omega / Delta

Engineering:
Commander: Aenar
Emergency Power to shields
Reverse Shield polarity 1 - Or I could do boarding party/Directed energy modulation and have one or the other with my borg and equip Hull damaging torps but im not sure if this would be effective.
Aceton Field
Auxiliary to structural field 3

Lieutenant: Borg
Emergency power to shields
Engineering team 2

Ensign: Theres not allot of ensign abilities so im not certain what to get. Perhaps engineering team I.

What do you think? Have another set up ? Can you recommend changes to my current one?

Unrelated question: does the efficient ability stack ? If I had my borg and a Saurain on my crew would I get +10 to all subsytems?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-08-2011, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph_B
Hello!

Im purchasing the Excelsior for a new PVE solo ship. This is my first cruiser so i would appreciate advice.

First
Im a science officer
This will be a PVE solo ship for advanced difficulty.
I prefer beam arrays
I prefer regenerative shielding but I know most people use shields with a large capacity so am open to a change if you explain why these shields would be better.
I have a surplus of credits , 200+ emblems and 300 or so high end crafting data samples of each type.

My current theory lay out
Weapons: Not sure but there will be beams xD
Deflector: Aegis
Engines: My engine power I assume will be low so it will be combat impulse.
i would recommend a torp fore and aft, and maybe a dual beam bank fore as well.
coverient shields are better on a cruiser, because you dont have the damage normally to kill the enemy before they go right through your shields, plus you generally need weapons power, aux if you plan to tank/heal, and maybe a bit of engine for extra speed and turn rate.
deflector, your choice, fit around your science powers.
engine, i would consider the aegis engine, decent speed, and extra defence from the set bonus.

Quote:
Consoles
Tac: Bonus to what ever beam arrays I use x 3.
Eng, armor consoles, 35% shield cap booster (emblem store), maybe one to improve power for weapons/aux.
tac, looks good
sci, one that boosts hazard emitters, and borg console. watch you dont go over 125 weapons power with consoles and +5 from cruiser.

Quote:
Boffs
Hazard emmiters or Polarize Hull I ( cant decide if I go polarize I will equip 2 bio monitors )
Science team II

science, hazard emitter 2, science team 1. hazard emitter clears plasma, and the borg shield neuterlising torps.
tac, tactical team 1, beyond that, faw if you want to hit more things at once, BO if you want to hit someone very hard (suggest dual beam if you want this), THY if you standard torps (quanium), beta for the debuff, omega for the tractor resist and slight damage bonus.

Quote:
Engineering:
Reverse Shield polarity 1 - Or I could do boarding party/Directed energy modulation and have one or the other with my borg and equip Hull damaging torps but im not sure if this would be effective.
Aceton Field

Lieutenant: Borg
Emergency power to shields
Engineering team 2

Ensign: Theres not allot of ensign abilities so im not certain what to get. Perhaps engineering team I.

What do you think? Have another set up ? Can you recommend changes to my current one?

Unrelated question: does the efficient ability stack ? If I had my borg and a Saurain on my crew would I get +10 to all subsytems?
commander, AuxtSIF3, EPtS3, boarding party/dem1, EPtWea/aux1
lt: EptS2, EPtWep/Aux1 (can rotate 2 set of emerg power to's at once)
eng: enginnering team 1.
the efficent ability does stack, but it's not a straight +5 each. more like a +1.5 at 25 power.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Personally I'd recommend a covariant as a cruiser generally has enough shield heal abilities.
From best to worse:-
1. Covariant Mk X [cap]x3 (highest purchasable shield)
2. Aegis (if you have another piece of the set equipped)
3. Reman Shield Mk XI
4. Covariant Mk XI [cap]x2

Quote:
Consoles
Field Generator MK XI is excellent for it's +35% max shield capacity. For the rest either go for hull armour (I don't really use them as I hull tank), SIF consoles or consoles that boost shield power.

Quote:
I'd recommend replacing the Biofunction monitor with the Borg console. Crew, amusingly enough, isn't all that useful since cruiser heals are so effective.

Quote:
Boffs
Science team II
I'd pick hazard emitters personally.

Quote:
Since your using all beams, I'd suggest against beam overload as the weapon drain will make it ineffective. Maybe instead take another tact team as it'll make your shield pretty impervious (with a high enough shield power). If not then downgrade the tact team you already have and replace it with attack pattern beta.

If you are going to take a beam overload I suggest taking a EPS console.

Quote:
Engineering:
Aceton Field
I'm afraid Aceton field is a rather useless ability. Either replace it with RSP or Directed energy modulation 2. Also I wouldn't take boarding party, since it's pretty usless.

Personally my choice would be the following:-
Emergency Power to Weapons 1 (to keep weapon power up)
RSP 1
Emergency Power to Shields 3 (you'll need a helpful engineer to train that)

Engineering team 1
Emergency Power to Shields 2

Quote:
Either that or Emergency Power to Weapons (so you can cycle it).