Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
All it would require is a map edit, which is a piece of cake compared to other solutions. Make the spawn points elevated off the ground, so you have to jump down to get to the play area. This would prevent spawn camping by breaking line of sight from below. You can fall quite a distance and take very little damage in this game - a short duration buff (15 sec after spawning or less, for example) to prevent you from taking this damage, while not needed, could be added, in case people are missing the few hitpoints they will lose falling. Progressively shorter platforms could do the same thing, as long as they are tall enough to prevent people from jumping up them, but short enough to minimize damage while falling down them. A ledge you could not fire over could also be added, with a ramp or stairs leading over the edge.

If all the enemies are waiting at the bottom, you can just sit in your safe zone until the whole team is together, and jump down safely or fire over the edge and run back out of line of sight, until the enemies get away from your spawn point or are killed. A ledge you could not fire over could also be added, with a ramp or stairs leading over the edge.

Even in the worst situation (a powerful premade group waiting below the spawn point), you still have that platform to break line of sight, and prevent them from ganking you the instant you spawn - you could all jump off together, or if teamwork is nonexistent in your team, each player would at least have a chance to buff up and prepare themselves for a fight.

Could people sit up there and not fight? Sure, but the same situation exists in space Cap & Hold matches, with people waiting at the turrets, except you couldn't get back on this platform without dying.

This is a simple solution for a problem as old as the game, and it would require very little time and effort from the devs compared to most fixes. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this - I know nothing about being a dev in an MMO - but seeing as players can make missions on their own, it is logical to assume that the devs could easily edit all the ground pvp maps in the game.

Other ideas such as non combat spawn areas or super powerful defensive turrets at the spawn points would be more difficult to implement, consuming more dev time and resources, and on top of that they could create places to lure enemies back to, to get promptly owned by the turrets. Both ideas also would be harder to test, and might be buggy or imbalanced.

Post if you approve or disapprove of this idea, and post ways to improve this idea, if you have any.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-10-2011, 04:07 AM
I thought of this as well. I think one addition to consider: Make each of these spawn points so that you can leave to a different area. Your appraoch would still allow people camping at the point the other player will fall down. But if the spawn point has 2-3 possibility exits, spawn camping cannot be done effectively anymore.

A more complex solution could be that a spawn point is only used if no enemy player s within a certain distance of the spawn point.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-10-2011, 01:13 PM
While it may seem like a piece of cake (which it is, really), consider how we've gotten no maps added to ground or space AT ALL... and all it would have needed was a simple matter of editing pre-existing PvE maps and slapping spawn points on them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I thought of this as well. I think one addition to consider: Make each of these spawn points so that you can leave to a different area. Your appraoch would still allow people camping at the point the other player will fall down. But if the spawn point has 2-3 possibility exits, spawn camping cannot be done effectively anymore.

A more complex solution could be that a spawn point is only used if no enemy player s within a certain distance of the spawn point.
Yeah, catwalks or tunnels leading to different locations would be nice, and would prevent the enemy from gathering around the spawn platform. Another solution is multiple random spawn points, each with its own platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVS5191
While it may seem like a piece of cake (which it is, really), consider how we've gotten no maps added to ground or space AT ALL... and all it would have needed was a simple matter of editing pre-existing PvE maps and slapping spawn points on them.
They wouldn't even need to introduce new maps, just edit the current ground pvp maps. You also have to think this: if they're too apathetic about pvp to edit existing maps in a pretty small way, then there is no hope for a spawn camping fix - I can't think of an easier fix than a little map editing. If anyone has an easier one, please tell us it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-10-2011, 02:17 PM
I mean, I definitely agree some work needs done. I just did a match again Fista Sistas and I kept spawning either right next to the whole group of them, or 2 feet away from where I died; right smack dab in the middle of a fire fight.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Knowing Cryptic, they will just tac on a Respawn invulnerability than actually fix the maps, which been asked for since Beta.

They need to have spawn points on both sides to be in a way where players cannot camp. For instance an airlock down a hallway that is protected by a force field where only the one side can go through or shoot through. That way if someone was trying to camp, it would end up being futile.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-10-2011, 09:06 PM
You know there is at least one good thing about this... for once now all these elite pvp players are on the receiving end of a spawn camp. Remember it when you do it the next time in space.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-10-2011, 11:34 PM
This is Startrek, right? We could all start on a transporter platform and select where we want to beam too. (Can be pre-determined locations, as long as we can choose.)

Mustrum "A man can dream, can he?" Ridcully
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-11-2011, 12:24 AM
What, we have multi-Arena PvP arenas where beaming is sometimes needed? Well it would be a bit of a unique twist, but seems like players would camp those spots like respawn points. Unless we had the ability to transport to a location that isn't a fixed point.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-11-2011, 02:34 AM
Quote:
What, we have multi-Arena PvP arenas where beaming is sometimes needed? Well it would be a bit of a unique twist, but seems like players would camp those spots like respawn points. Unless we had the ability to transport to a location that isn't a fixed point.
If there are a total of 5 spawn points, a team will have a hard time camping all 5 of them. I mean, they can send one to each, but the other team could organize and choose the same spawn point to overwhelm the lone camper (and anyone not in the transporter room could close in one the one you are going to choose.)