Lt. Commander
# 1 UFP Interviews Dan Stahl
07-08-2011, 01:18 PM
The United Federation of Planets interviews Executive Producer Dan Stahl in the latest issue of their magazine, The Herald. Give it a read starting on page 10.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-08-2011, 01:59 PM
It's a great read!!
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Red-Ice - new Yellow name, 1st post!

Welcome to STO!
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-08-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm going to come out and say I think one of the most likely familiar faces would be Sisko.

Avery Brooks is pretty generous with his likeness from what I gather... and I suspect one of the big issues surrounding use of character likenesses is that some actors are holding out for voice work when things like residuals complicate how that works for a union actor working on an MMO. Brooks has frequently given his blessing to games that didn't utilize his voice work and even one that recast Sisko. He's also in Infinite Space.

I think it would be great to have him show up inside the wormhole in the new Featured Series and maybe use that opportunity to introduce him to the child he had by Kassidy Yates, who could go on to play a role in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Avery Brooks would be a great addition to the game. I agree that the "unfinished" storyline revolving around Ben Sisko in the last episode would make for a potentially fascinating storyline to introduce at some stage.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-09-2011, 04:42 AM
Showing some love for UFP
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-09-2011, 04:48 AM
I have the direct e-mail address of Molly Hagan, should I ask her to do a voice-act for Eris in STO? *giggles* Just thought of that when thinking about celebrities of Trek in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-09-2011, 08:47 AM
I want to talk to Odo on the founder homeworld
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErisTheVorta View Post
I have the direct e-mail address of Molly Hagan, should I ask her to do a voice-act for Eris in STO? *giggles* Just thought of that when thinking about celebrities of Trek in STO.
That's really cool but Cryptic generally advises against people directly contacting folks. I think a part of that is that union rules regarding residuals don't work terribly well with an MMO business model, in addition to the voiceover budget being limited, so they need to use a mix of non-union and fi-core union members. Guys like Nimoy who are retired or do a lot of voiceover (like Cryptic's stable of actors, which includes folks like Mercedes Rose) are more likely to be fi-core. (Which basically means, they're union but can waive individual union rules in negotiation and take non-union work.)

However, I'd imagine that's a touchy subject and the last thing Cryptic wants is Shatner to get offended when they said they could only afford to pay him double scale and they couldn't offer residuals and he'd need a special kind of union status to participate -- or drop the union. People who do it that I've talked to generally seem pretty happy with it. It gives them the opportunity to demand union rates and to take union jobs but doesn't require them to take exclusively union work. HOWEVER, it's a touchy subject and I'd imagine Cryptic tries to be discreet about its hiring practices, even if they are fairly standard for a gaming company their size.

Everything I know about Cryptic suggests they quite generously offer employees everything they can but dealing with people who are used to film means you'll have some actors who would get offended that they don't get 20 cents every time someone plays the mission where they do voiceover and if you pointed out that isn't financially viable, they'd just say Cryptic should setup a C-Store tollbooth at the mission hub or raise subscription rates or put ads on its loadscreens, none of which are really viable in THIS industry. But somebody from TV may have expectations based on that. (WoW benefited in some regards by having mostly voice actors on staff but the differences in business model between a console game and an MMO did cost them the original voice for Arthas and Clancy Brown as Thrall. They've had a pretty loyal group of fi-core actors, though, which overlaps some with STO.)

Now, if you stick with actors who I THINK are fi-core... I'd really like Cam Clarke (2000s He-Man, original Leonardo from Ninja Turtles, Solid Snake, male blood elves in ********) as a Vorta. :-) He has a very Vorta sound to my ear.

I THINK but am not sure, that it's generally a sign an actor is more realistic if they're actively doing MMO voicework. Which does include Wil Wheaton, Michael Dorn, and Dwight Schultz. Wheaton in particular has been in a few Grand Theft Auto games and DC Universe Online.

It seems to me there are less hoops for Cryptic to jump through with a character played by a deceased actor, as the union restrictions are lighter, there's no residual discussion, and the actor won't hinge negotiations on getting union voicework.

In general, I think it's probably very hard for Cryptic to approach actors tactfully and easier for them to approach a casting service or an agency who contacts actors THEY KNOW will work for what Cryptic can reasonably afford and whose union/contractual status doesn't pose any conflicts. (Take Shatener, as a spokesman for WoW, there's a chance that Blizzard has an exclusivity clause barring him from other MMO work.)
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Yea I think you raise some good points there Leviathan. Though I think if enough people are looking for, and prompting Cryptic for further voice actors from the series, they may consider it worthy enough to consider based on their current circumstances.
How much people want additional recognisable voice actors from characters in the series I'm not really sure. For me personally it aids with connecting Star Trek Online to the Star Trek universe, something I think Cryptic have at times struggled with. So I'd certainly welcome such news, and if timed correctly could be used to promote the game and bring back Star Trek gamers who perhaps passed on STO.
So how much do people really want to see additional voices/characters?