Lt. Commander
# 31
07-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred

snippage of the non-pertinent stuff...
So i would like to see another but still "excelsior" -ish styled ship.
(this one was one of the concept ship that where made to be the excelsior)
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Ex..._Rodis_bis.jpg
I think it looks like a great compromise for everyone, the Excelsior fans and those who don't like the Excelsior design.
(at least it looks real powerful and fast IMO)

Someone made this ship for the "next Enterprise Contest", it reminds me of the concept excelsior ship, just much more modern.
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...t-F_Vektor.jpg
I think something like this could be a real good alternative Excelsior.
What do you guys think?

Live long and prosper.
Interesting designs, but I hate the four engine cruisers about as much as you hate the Excelsior. So much so that when I was leveling up (before they put in the Excelsior) I used my LT Cmdr ship (Connie refit) until Captain (Galaxy).

So yeah -- not a fan of the 4-nacelle ship.
Lt. Commander
# 32
07-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Interesting designs, but I hate the four engine cruisers about as much as you hate the Excelsior. So much so that when I was leveling up (before they put in the Excelsior) I used my LT Cmdr ship (Connie refit) until Captain (Galaxy).

So yeah -- not a fan of the 4-nacelle ship.
the point of them is to be variants, meaning you don't have to use them if you don't want to (and if they were put in-game, you would just have to handle seeing them fly around, which shouldn't be that bad)
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Ironically enough, a variant of the 4-nacelle prototype of the Excelsior would be the perfect alternate skin for the Tier 3 Heavy Cruiser. It has the saucer forward, the hull attached to the back of the saucer (there's still a large underside in that second design, but it could be "fudged") and nacelles top and bottom mounted on the pylons (pylon, but it could just be two plates on top of each other) mounted on the hull.

I think it would be possible to make the Excelsior's hull and nacelles less "stretched", but in effect that would just reduce it down to the original Constitution dimensions. You could go with dimensions more like the Star Cruiser, though, an extremely broad and elongated hull, with small warp engines mounted at the tail. Kind of the prototype design with only the upper or lower nacelles.
Lt. Commander
# 34
07-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-A-T-H-F-I-N-D-E-R
I would like to make a request for another skin that we can select at T5 that would give the Excelsior a more modern look.

I love the traditional look, but would be thrilled with more design options for her.
^^^^^^this^^^^ make it so
Lt. Commander
# 35
07-13-2011, 05:58 PM
I agree there needs to be more skins for the Excelsior class. They need more skins and new classes for the game period. I want to see newer designs to make me feel like it really is 2409.
Lt. Commander
# 36
07-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Quote:
I agree there needs to be more skins for the Excelsior class. They need more skins and new classes for the game period. I want to see newer designs to make me feel like it really is 2409.
completely and 100% agree
the only thing i wish for this (when it does happen) is that ALL of the ship designs cover a wide variety of tastes, so people don't complain that their favorite is puke-worthy
Lt. Commander
# 37
07-13-2011, 09:06 PM
I would love to see a modernized Excelsior skin.
Lt. Commander
# 38
07-14-2011, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayyde
...You could go with dimensions more like the Star Cruiser, though, an extremely broad and elongated hull, with small warp engines mounted at the tail. Kind of the prototype design with only the upper or lower nacelles.
This sounds like pure awesomeness...
I was always hoping that Federations ship design would become more and more fluid and organic looking, but since the Enterprise -E and the Prometheus where introduced the trend goes more to skinny and angular designs, sadly.
I would love if there could be some alternative ship costumes that follow more a organic and fluid, maybe even aquadynamic design philosophy, something that has begun with the Galaxy Class and the Intrepid and continues with the star cruisers.
(maybe influences from the aquatic Xindi who are part of the federation (?))

I think there should be more variety in the availlable ship costumes that we have and not just more small variations of the design we already have, there should be enough room for both ship design philosophies for every ship class IMHO.
Personally i find it really demotivating to fly a ship that fits perfectly to my playstyle but looks direful in my eyes.
Especially since STO has so much customization possibilities i find it really sad that there are still to little options for the Excelsior and other fun to fly ships.

Perhaps the devs could make the Perpedual Excalibur ship parts availlable to the Excelsior, i know some hate that ship but i think that the ship parts alone combined with the Excelsior would make some great designs possible.

Another ship i always loved to have as a alternative costume for the Excelsior is the Insignia Class, especially since that ship is quite small and looks compact, but still very different than the excelsior.
Here some picture of that ship, for those how don't know it yet.
I always loved that ship, it looks compact (one unit, unlike some other starfleet ships that look like they would snap apart every second), not too big, and NOT streched ( ).
What i also like on that ship is the fact that the nacelles/pylons are not as wide as the saucer, which i hate on the assault cruisers.
The only thing i would change is the saucer, i would smoothen it and remove the segmentation.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 39
07-15-2011, 02:48 AM
Lt. Commander
# 40
07-15-2011, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaNine
Wow , much better than the original design, it looks now much more harmonious than before.
Althrough the nacelles are still very long, the new neck/hull combination looks very elegant.
The only thing i would do is to make the nacelles a bit more narrow to the rear.

Anyway, this is a perfect example that only small alterations can make a huge difference.

Live long and prosper.