Lt. Commander
# 1 Dev Diary: DTNE, Part 2
06-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Part 2 of our Design the Next Enterprise Dev Diary Series is brought to you by STO Art Lead, Jeremy Mattson. Follow Jeremy and his team as they outline the process of bringing the next Enterprise from concept to game art.

Link to the Dev Diary
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Awesome. Even if it's not my favourite (admittedly didn't really have a *favourite*) I'm fascinated by the design process.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Very interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-21-2011, 02:13 PM
The draft rendering looks awesome. Keep up the good work!
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-21-2011, 02:15 PM
I like what they did with the neck
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-21-2011, 02:16 PM
The modifications to the dual-neck make sense. They look far more substantial and able to do the job. Technobabble-wise, you could have that design "increase quantum slipstream drive efficiency by channeling subspace field lines between warp field regulators, creating propulsive laminar flow."
Lt. Commander
# 7
They messed up the design, the original concept was classic...awesome. But they went in and totally ruined the deflector dish and saucer. The ship has lots its flow now, its become...an overdeveloped Cryptic designed ship. I am almost not looking forward to it anymore if its gonna look like that concept art. Its got that modular look that all those other horrible looking Cryptic SF ships have thanks for the block deflector, the weirdness on top of the saucer.

The saucer should be more round when viewed from above as well, I dont like the oval shape. Well, thats just my thoughts on it...I really wish the deflector was closer to the original design, more rounded on the bottom lip...and without the dumb overbite...but I guess we will see how this pans out. And aside from what ive mentioned, everything else about it is great. Maybe it will grow on me...who knows.

Adams model looks pretty good, but there is some weirdness going on on the tops of the nacelles. I like the open top Sovereign style nacelles that the concept art has. It should be familiar, but not overdone or insane. I also wouldnt mind seeing some variants added for the ship either, nothing wrong having a couple nacelle options in the ship tailor.
Lt. Commander
# 8
This is my own personal opinion but when i see the Thomas Marrone's Paint-Over of the Enterprise F Clay Model image.
I have to say thats the ugliest federation star ship iv ever seen.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-21-2011, 02:17 PM
I've never had a problem with the design that won. I've been anxious to see how it would be fleshed out by the Devs. I like where it is going.

I really like the design diaries. I can't wait to see the next one.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Hohwow!

I was cringing a little over the first 'paint over' in that Dev Diary, (To be frank, I hate that take on the deflector dish and just how thin and narrow the Saucer looks, compared to the neck, from the bow elevation)

...But then I saw the draft render at the bottom of the page...

Oh wow.

I'm starting to like this evolution!

Hanging out for part 3!