Lt. Commander
# 1 What went wrong with season 4?
07-09-2011, 07:02 PM
I'll try to hide my rage while summing up what the much hyped up season 4 has ruined for me...

- Shooter Mode - Huge waste of dev time. You can't possibly be as effective as in RPG mode. You get less overview, you have difficulty buffing and debuffing allies and enemies, and you have to move by damned keyboard!
- Borg - Ever-spamming remodulation. Shoot-Shoot-Remodulate-Repeat. Heck, you can't even fire one cycle with a minigun without them adapting mid-way.
- Fleet Actions - I don't get why, but I've been unable to get a que to pop, after hours in que saturday night.
- Breen grenades - Are said to wipe entire teams on impact
- Explore Missions - Elite mode ground is now as easy as normal was... (at least vs Dominion and Hirogen)
- Weapons are mostly worse - Short range multi target exploit is gone (auto-targeting assault) with no replacement. Same goes for long range high damage expose (pulsewave).
- Ground PvP - has become a quick draw contest.
- Kit abilities - Don't have time to activate before you or your enemy is dead (because we die too fast)
- Hypos - are less efficient
- Infected can now be soloed up to bossroom (but I guess that will be fixed)

If I were to guess, I'd say ground mode is now tailored for tier 1 players, that don't have any kit or captain abilities to use. Just maneuvering and shooting keeps you plenty occupied, and reduces this game to a 1990s FPS game. I'm greatly disappointed...

Some good things I have seen though, that i appreciated:
- better textures
- some improved kit abilities (if only I had time to use them)
- the minigun action looks cool

All in all, I say we've traded away a lot of good gameplay for a few cosmetics... tsk tsk...
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Agreed on almost everything. Either these changes get rolled back, or I'm cancelling.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Yes things have gone a bit wrong. In fact terribly wrong and I hope wel see a fix soon. Though I like ground combat alot although its too easy
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
I'll try to hide my rage while summing up what the much hyped up season 4 has ruined for me...

- Shooter Mode - Huge waste of dev time. You can't possibly be as effective as in RPG mode. You get less overview, you have difficulty buffing and debuffing allies and enemies, and you have to move by damned keyboard!
- Borg - Ever-spamming remodulation. Shoot-Shoot-Remodulate-Repeat. Heck, you can't even fire one cycle with a minigun without them adapting mid-way.
- Fleet Actions - I don't get why, but I've been unable to get a que to pop, after hours in que saturday night.
- Breen grenades - Are said to wipe entire teams on impact
- Explore Missions - Elite mode ground is now as easy as normal was... (at least vs Dominion and Hirogen)
- Weapons are mostly worse - Short range multi target exploit is gone (auto-targeting assault) with no replacement. Same goes for long range high damage expose (pulsewave).
- Ground PvP - has become a quick draw contest.
- Kit abilities - Don't have time to activate before you or your enemy is dead (because we die too fast)
- Hypos - are less efficient
- Infected can now be soloed up to bossroom (but I guess that will be fixed)

If I were to guess, I'd say ground mode is now tailored for tier 1 players, that don't have any kit or captain abilities to use. Just maneuvering and shooting keeps you plenty occupied, and reduces this game to a 1990s FPS game. I'm greatly disappointed...

Some good things I have seen though, that i appreciated:
- better textures
- some improved kit abilities (if only I had time to use them)
- the minigun action looks cool

All in all, I say we've traded away a lot of good gameplay for a few cosmetics... tsk tsk...
It's like shades of the SWG combat update and NGE combined...and most of us know how well that went over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberC9000
Agreed on almost everything. Either these changes get rolled back, or I'm cancelling.
Currently I spend a lot of time kicking myself for buying a lifetime sub a couple of months ago and the embarrassing amount of money I've spent in the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Yeah not sure what cryptic was thinking when there were so many other things that could use improvement. End Game anyone? PVP? Welcome to lolground v2.0!
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Shields and armor for ground need to be tougher. "More realistic combat", meaning you die more often, is not always fun. Ground missions used to be tedious because it took too long to wipe out mobs. Now they are tedious because you have to respawn a few times to finish the mission. The action is more fun for sure, but players need to be tougher. Captain Kirk always kicked butt - players need to do the same except versus elite enemies like Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-09-2011, 08:01 PM
The Foundry doesn't seem to be working either. Can't use my test character and can't create a new one.

Also, how do you direct your away team whilst in the new shooter mode? Do you just have to keep switching back and forth?
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haglahay
Shields and armor for ground need to be tougher. "More realistic combat", meaning you die more often, is not always fun. Ground missions used to be tedious because it took too long to wipe out mobs. Now they are tedious because you have to respawn a few times to finish the mission. The action is more fun for sure, but players need to be tougher. Captain Kirk always kicked butt - players need to do the same except versus elite enemies like Borg.
This right here.

In simple terms...players like to feel powerful. This does away with that. Unless they do some pretty hardcore tweaks I can foresee STO joining the mountain of MMOs I've told to shove off in the past.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaumul View Post
The Foundry doesn't seem to be working either. Can't use my test character and can't create a new one.
The Foundry is down until further notice.
Lt. Commander
# 10 Agreed x2
07-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberC9000
Yeah its been like 4+ months, there is no actual new content just a fluffy new qo'nos, a new ground combat system that is broken beyond belief, pretty much all these big hyped up things now have either been completely destroyed or disabled. I saw keep the new weapons but give us back the ground as it was before all that has been done is added in a broken shooter mode that rips half our features, then nerfed all our ground stats. I'm tempted to just cancel myself right now. I would give some additional feedback but this forum does not accept feedback that will push this company in the right direction.
Closed Thread