Lt. Commander
# 11
07-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Realy Great Idea overall, however, I would disagree with One Point. The OP's First List 1 through 5. Item Number 1 states that "Hints" would accompany a data base of creatures in game, suggesting areas they might be located in..

In True Star Trek, they Seek Out and Find, go Forth and Explore Strange New Worlds.

I never saw that as They follow a list of Hints to any given Object or place.

I would think the data base to work toward Accolades might have all species Info, but would not be made available for Player access until it is completed or the parts of it that have been found could be made available for player access as a Log of accomplishments.

There should not be a Guide that says "Gulios can be found in Delta Volanus" or any such directions to filling in gaps in the Accolade process.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Thankyou for your replies everyone

It would certainly be a big thing to implement, but looking at the changes they made to ground combat for season 4 and how it's faster and more fluid, and also the interface updates to the ship database for example, I can't help but feel if they gave the same attention and detail to exploration and 'filling' the universe with things, it would a huge step forward and there would be a lot more for players to do. Cryptic surely have a lot of art gathering dust in places that could be put to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_big_mad_boat_man
This is a great idea. I would be totally psyched if they implemented something like this.

Would be cool if:

The KDF version had the option to track and hunt the creatures. Have some Missions that culminated in a sort of boss battle against some of the rarer creatures.

Getting some big mastadon skull trophy's for my klingon cap's quarters would be ace.
That's an awesome idea! (As you can probably see by my screenshots my KDF character isn't too far developed so I don't have the greatest understanding of KDF gameplay or attitudes towards these matters ).
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Can we get a dev in here?

This is great stuff!

IT would make a wonderful enhancement to exploration!
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar_Searcher
Realy Great Idea overall, however, I would disagree with One Point. The OP's First List 1 through 5. Item Number 1 states that "Hints" would accompany a data base of creatures in game, suggesting areas they might be located in..

In True Star Trek, they Seek Out and Find, go Forth and Explore Strange New Worlds.

I never saw that as They follow a list of Hints to any given Object or place.

I would think the data base to work toward Accolades might have all species Info, but would not be made available for Player access until it is completed or the parts of it that have been found could be made available for player access as a Log of accomplishments.

There should not be a Guide that says "Gulios can be found in Delta Volanus" or any such directions to filling in gaps in the Accolade process.
Good point - and I really like the idea of completing parts of the database to unlock more, like finding clues. Say you find all of the common species of Targ (let's say there are three of them). This 'unlocks' a discovery that a few of them have some similar genetic traits, such that they have a common ancestor (a rarer version of that species in this case), and based on the knowledge of the genetic traits, behaviours, and habitats of those Targ, information appears in the database of where this rarer ancestor might reside - and eventually you work your way up to finding the 'Hamar Targ' in my example?

However I don't mean hints as in "you'll find them at these coordinates" so much as "they might be found in this area of space" or "in a volcanic environment" or some such. Without hints I see no way to help guide players that may be lost, who are looking for a certain type of creature or something.

As soon as anything is released in this game though there'll be a guide for it in a week, that can't be avoided :p
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-10-2011, 06:55 PM
I'd really like to see non-combat gameplay increased to add variety.

However, exobiology as its own career track?
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I'd really like to see non-combat gameplay increased to add variety.

However, exobiology as its own career track?
Yes, much like you have Diplomacy and Crafting. What's wrong with that? We're out there exploring, why not catalogue our finds?
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoom
Yes, much like you have Diplomacy and Crafting. What's wrong with that? We're out there exploring, why not catalogue our finds?
When you mentioned career track, I though you meant the character classes (they're called career tracks in STO).
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
When you mentioned career track, I though you meant the character classes (they're called career tracks in STO).
My mistake, sorry
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-10-2011, 08:58 PM
This sounds like a lot of fun - definitely something I'd want to play with on my science oficer! Hope the devs take a look at this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-10-2011, 10:33 PM
I have to say, the devs are spending a lot of time of the DOFF system, when I would much rather see something like this in game first, it's a fantastic idea. I hope the devs can find some way to impliment it, and I want to hear more than an "I will pass this idea on" from them when they do see this thread.

You could also get accolades or something too for finding rare creatures and plants that could be on the furthest edges of the current maps.
Closed Thread