Lt. Commander
# 21
07-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_big_mad_boat_man
This is a great idea. I would be totally psyched if they implemented something like this.

Would be cool if:

The KDF version had the option to track and hunt the creatures. Have some Missions that culminated in a sort of boss battle against some of the rarer creatures.

Getting some big mastadon skull trophy's for my klingon cap's quarters would be ace.
I've updated the post with an idea how this might work at the end of it. If you successfully defeat it then you get a trophy alongside your exobiology entry!

Quote:
1. Accepting the mission < (Clickable link to photobucket).
2. Encountering the creature < (Clickable link to photobucket).
3. Dealing with the consequences < (Clickable link to photobucket).
4. Turning the mission in < (Clickable link to photobucket) (either way you get your exobiology entry). In order to make the it replayable like FIrst Contact missions, there is a lame excuse that it's not the 'white whale' that he was looking for, which allows you to go out and hunt more of them next time you get the mission the first time you defeat it, you get a trophy or something to hang on your wall - one of its horns maybe?
Is this anything like you were thinking of?
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-11-2011, 09:14 PM
One more thing I'd like to mention is that I think it would be cool if Exobiology could take you to the moons we see - when we visit a system, it may not always be the planet that we're interested in, but instead its moon. However rather than scanning it from space, we beam down and collect samples of whatever's there (extremophile life, machine life that doesn't need an atmosphere.. whatever). It's all good stuff for a databse on these strange new lives and civilizations! For this we could have an 'EVA Suit' costume that we would select from a variety in the tailor (Wrath of Khan style, First Contact style, Enterprise style...).

This could also open up more missions within one solar system, as you may have business on both the moon and its parent planet. Maybe a planet tried to launch a probe, and it went wrong and crashed into its moon, so you go and pick up the pieces and tell them back on their planet where they went wrong.

Another thing that would bring some more life to STO's universe.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-12-2011, 04:38 PM
rly awesome work, keep it up I reckon moons will probably (or hopefully) be featured when they bring in environment suits in S5 onward.

Would be nice to get word of how likely it is that something like this would be implemented. If they're looking for new unique content that requires no additinal gameplay mechanics (esp for the kdf) it's sidequests just like what you've suggested that will make the lvl grind that much more pleasant if you ask me.

Another thought: for a trophy from a creature you track and kill.. it would be rly cool if it unlocked additional textures for your toon's costumes since the klinks seem to be into their fur shoulderpads etc

I mean how great would it be if you could reskin your veteran cape with the scales of a giant endangered reptile that you personally tracked down and dropkicked in the face! (cos let's face it that thing makes klingons look a bit "evil knievil" and could really do wi some more options)

final thought:... cool reward for completing exobiology/hunting mission track could be a hirogen boff?
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_big_mad_boat_man
rly awesome work, keep it up I reckon moons will probably (or hopefully) be featured when they bring in environment suits in S5 onward.

Would be nice to get word of how likely it is that something like this would be implemented. If they're looking for new unique content that requires no additinal gameplay mechanics (esp for the kdf) it's sidequests just like what you've suggested that will make the lvl grind that much more pleasant if you ask me.

Another thought: for a trophy from a creature you track and kill.. it would be rly cool if it unlocked additional textures for your toon's costumes since the klinks seem to be into their fur shoulderpads etc

I mean how great would it be if you could reskin your veteran cape with the scales of a giant endangered reptile that you personally tracked down and dropkicked in the face! (cos let's face it that thing makes klingons look a bit "evil knievil" and could really do wi some more options)

final thought:... cool reward for completing exobiology/hunting mission track could be a hirogen boff?
Nice idea -.what better trophy than to wear that which you defeated! (unless you're an ancient mariner).

Giving rewards like Boffs through achieving certain things in Exobiology (discovering every species or something) would make it much more appealing to collectors that want every type of Boff they can get, whcih is good as the system would get used more
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-14-2011, 02:01 PM
This is a very cool idea!

Really hope something like this will make it ingame.

Season 5? Maby wishfull thinking
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Interesting. Very well thought out. I could go for something like this.

Make it so.

Lt. Commander
# 27
07-14-2011, 03:19 PM
I rely like this idea. I think it could be a great addition in STO. Because the one thing that always bothered me in STO is the fact we can't pend hours in ONE system doing things, and I feel that if this system was implemented, you (we) may be able to spend an hour in "system FJ-Alpha" scanning lifeforms, anomalies, and doing small tasks for native humanoids.

Also, I want to see a 3rd type of space: "System Space"

This would give us: Sector Space -> System Space -> Planetary Space

System Space would be about the size of a sector or two in sector space, and would allow you to travel to diffident planets in that particular system. (Sol for instance) You then could choose to beam down, enter "planet A's air space", or move on to another planet.
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-14-2011, 04:17 PM
this is over my head apparently , can someone tell me why this would be fun lol
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canmore
this is over my head apparently , can someone tell me why this would be fun lol
That depends on what you consider 'fun' I guess Basically when doing an exploration mission, rather than beaming down solely to scan 5 alien devices that are threatening the planet's (invisible) civilization (that has no houses), and possibly scan a few anomalies, all on an otherwise empty, lifeless and unpopulated map, there would at least be the probability of other kinds of life there - animal and plant life.

These, we could discover and they'd get entered into a database where we can read up on them ("These are Targs, they come from Qo'Nos and are popular with Klingons!"). This would both populate the maps and give us more to do on a single map/exploration mission, and it would flesh out STO's universe in the process as maps would never be deathly empty like they are now.

Exploring more will find you more and rarer creatures, which might give you accolades or trophies, and the rarest of them definitely would. It would be like a parallel to Diplomacy or Crafting in that it's another thing you could do but certainly not something you'd have to do. But it's another thing you could do, and why is that bad thing?

TL;DR?:
  • Stick more things (life!) on maps that we can discover. Give us a reason to explore these maps.
  • Reward this exploration.
  • Give us a place where we can read about our discoveries in detail like we can about our ships in the Ship Database (the Exobiology Database).
  • Track our discoveries and reward us appropriately with accolades/titles/trophies/new costume components/pets/stuff..

Even Picard is sick of all the fighting :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Luc Picard
Do you remember when we used to be explorers?
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-15-2011, 08:08 AM
I'd like these missions..it would give me more to do.
Closed Thread