Lt. Commander
After a thread on my fleet forums (as well as experiance with this ticket system), I felt it was time a thread was made to discuss ways the system could be improved, since it seem apparent that it is not currently working as smoothly as it could.

At this current time, the ticket system does not allow you to search for tickets (this feature was turned off 'along' time ago), also, from what a dev said a few months ago in TTS, the number of tickets were overwealming to the point that it was impossable to wade though them, thus, I thought I'd not a few key points that need fixing and adjusting.
  • Players 'need' to be able to search tickets and be able to click 'I also have this issue', this will reduce the number of tickets, if a ticket gets more than say 50 people having the issue, it should get stickied in the appropriate area so its easy for people to see (to prevent more duplicate tickets).
  • Players need to be able to see there already submitted tickets (ingame) and be able to add to them, currently players are submitting multiple tickets for an issue because they can't add extra information and worse, its not easy to refer to the previous ticket.
  • The UI needs to be more clear in regards to 'bugs' and 'GM assistance' so that people that actually require more immediate assistance can get it in a more timely fashion instead of getting lumped into the piles of bug reports
  • There needs to be a rewrite of the canned responces, they are currently far to impersonal and far to general, currently it just feels like you are getting brushed off, more so when the canned message have nothing at all to do with your ticket, which makes players like myslef feel less inclined to bother making tickets.

Would it be possable for the dev team to put a little time aside to work on getting the ticket system fixed and running smoothly? I know this is probably something many players don't see as important, but right now, its highly inefficent to post bug reports and, as has been seen with season 4, many issues which were bug reported on tribble seemed to get un-noticed and made it to holodeck, which I fear the current ticket system has a part to play in. The more ways that can be developed to keep ticket numbers down, the better for the GM's and Devs who have to wade though them.

Perhaps a wipe of the entire system to remove all the backlogged tickets (I say wipe, but mean archive, as they'd still need sweeping though), and then start the system clean and get it all under control again?

Any suggestions for ways to further improve the system would be greatly appriciated, such as adding the 'live chat' support to the game's UI as well, so you don't have to goto the Atari website (which to be honest confuses me somewhat with the recent sale of Cryptic by Atari).
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-20-2011, 03:42 AM
This is something that really does need to be addressed. At times it seems that the only way to get a bug the attention it deserves is to file a ticket, wait until a dev is online and in TTS, and then tell them what's up with the bug and give them the ticket number.

As for the GM tickets, this needs a complete overhaul. I would get into more detail, but I'm heading out the door.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-20-2011, 10:30 AM
I'll love seeing the feedback coming in this thread.
However: The moment anyone starts ranting off, badmouting the staff or posts ticket conversations - I will need to close.

Please help keep the thread clean, right folks?
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-20-2011, 10:42 AM
My suggestions.

You cant reply to a ticket on the atari website, but you can edit a ticket in game. Even when you do press edit in game its not immediately clear where you should write the amendment. at the top? at the bottom?

Also as people are used to e-mail's so a reply button sounds better than edit, as many people will assume they are just editing the original question and not replying. This could be cleaned up slightly as its not clear if you are doing it correctly.

Sometimes you need to have a conversation with people and sometimes you want to do it out of game on the atari help page but its just not set up to let you reply, meaning i have to log in to do it.

You also now cant see bug tickets now. I dont know why they changed it but i would like the ability to see and edit tickets i have written to add details, or to close them if i later discover it was not a bug but something i did by mistake or the feature is working as intended. Its also hard to tell if you have already sent one or not, meaning duplicate bug reports will be sent.

Its possible to raise a bug ticket then find a related problem that would be best placed in the old ticket by adding to it, rather than starting a new one.

Also you cant see the ticket number now, in case someone on the forums like zero wants the ticket number, or if you want to add the number to a bug report.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Totally needs a revamp. There needs to be some way to see that your issue has at least been seen by a human, otherwise it is very discouraging and makes me avoid bug submission. Also, you feel like you are probably the millionth person to submit a bug report so you avoid it because of that too.

Honestly right now I feel like the only way bugs get resolved is by people making spamming posts on the forums. It is heavily discouraged by the mods, but it actually seems to work more reliably than any other method.
-----------------
My guess (and I might be totally wrong on this) is the internal system used to track bugs is probably a mess and/or overwhelmed and that bleeds over into how players perceive the system since bug reports don't seem to do anything. The S4 stuff is a prime example since every major bug was heavily ticketed (at least I know I submitted tickets for all of them) but there was no acknowledgment. That's frustrating as a tester (effort seems wasted), but it's also frustrating as a player (no reason for some bugs to make it to holodeck).
-----------------
Tl;dr- My guess is the best thing would be for an internal rework of issue tracking, along with a revamp of player submission so we can track what we have submitted as well as linking our particular bug report with an existing issue if one exists.

It would be nice to see a public bug tracking tool too, although I can see some reasons why the devs wouldn't want to do this. Like DF: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ma..._view_page.php
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
some general thoughts:

when it comes to tickets, these are your 1st line of correspondence and support for your players.
While they are not always meant to be resolved right then, it does need immediate attention when they come in as to where it should go and be categorized. some things will end up on a development queue, others need immediate attention. somethings may not need to have been ticketed in the first place.

in the case of long term fixes like items placed on a development queue, they should be lumped together and not closed until a patch is released fixing the issue then the ticket or lump of tickets can be closed so the user is notified when the issue has been resolved.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-20-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm in agreement with this. The entire system needs some major attention. All of the suggestions above are good, and well thought out. I would like to add a couple minor suggestions. The first is easy. Make the window larger, as it is its small, hard to read, and not resizeable. Second, when you Resolve a bug that someone reports, if possible, send them a short mail that says so, or tells them to check their bug reports. That will get the word out as well as here on the forums. Small things like that, make a difference. Either way the system does need help, make it easier for us to report things and interact with you on those reports, and all we (devs and players both) are doing, is making the game better, both by making the process easier to do, and by making it easier to understand and help you fix things.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Asking for detailed feedback on an in-game ticket just isn't going to happen.

But... it would be helpful if you could view your tickets and see a status like "Flagged For Review" with a timestamp as soon as someone (a human) from Cryptic has opened it to look at it.

Really, shouldn't that be enough? There's no guarantee that any dev is going to act on YOUR specific ticket, but knowing that somebody actually read the ticket tells you that your issue wasn't totally lost in the noise. If it takes six months for somebody to glance at your bug report, then that's a flag that something is wrong and the process is broken somehow.

Even that would be a big improvement over the current "File, Forget, and Fret" we have right now.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-20-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't like that there is no way to see that a bug has been addressed ever. It should not be so impossible to lead back from whatever bug database the developer team uses back to the bug ticket system. It might certainly be disappointing to see no activity for a long time, but seeing no activity ever and the tickets just disappearing to nowhere doesn't feel better at all.

I also think the policy on reporting exploits is troublesome. It causes a lot of discontent and distrust, within the community as well as towards Cryptic. Maybe we need a thread collecting potential exploits, maybe just with ticket ids, not even any descriptions. If people try to abuse it to get their "pet" issues speed up, the forum policy could lead to warnings and eventually infractions over repeated abuse.
Anyway, the current suggested policy of submitting a bug ticket and then submitting a GM ticket to highlight the issue is just too indirect and not open enough to make people feel secure about the issue.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Yea, I wouldn't expect any actual 'feedback' but at a minimum you should see when it has been read and then it would be nice to see a status of "open, merged (and what ticket ID it was merged with), deferred, closed, resolved or whatever.

As one of the above posters alluded to, right now I think many of us feel like our tickets are never really read or catagorized, or if they are it takes months to even get a cursory glance.

1. If that isn't the case then some transparency would help alleviate player concerns and we wouldn't feel so helpless.

2. If it *is* the case then there is a problem with the way tickets are handled internally and it would be a good idea to rethink the system.