Lt. Commander
The patrols need lots of love. So many cookie-cutter killing 5/5 ships for half-baked reasons.

Here's an idea: How about letting us remaster them?

Give us the name of a system that has a lackluster bland kill 5/5 mission. Let us submit our version of a patrol that happens there. Then, pick the best one that can replace the official patrol.

Slowly, we'd be remastering a ton of content and a ton of systems together.

So, to sum, you'd get a workforce of authors remastering the lackluster patrols, and all you'd have to do is pick the best for each system and make it required playing.

If you need to, you could attach a disclaimer to each remastered indicating that it's a sample of "community-authored content."

Better yet, if you could turn the existing patrol into an importable Foundry project, then we'd get much to work with and not have to recreate the planets, etc.

How about it?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-10-2011, 06:46 PM
In principle, I love the idea. Those missions, all of them pretty much need some form of revamp or expansion. My only question, and I open this up to all parties, what method would be the best way to judge what would be worthy to replace these missions. And how do we guarantee that they are playable by all, and not just the elite?
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
In principle, I love the idea. Those missions, all of them pretty much need some form of revamp or expansion. My only question, and I open this up to all parties, what method would be the best way to judge what would be worthy to replace these missions. And how do we guarantee that they are playable by all, and not just the elite?
I'd say that a major requirement for any submission is level-dependent enemies and making sure that the system/mission matches the existing system descriptions. So, the devs could easily give us the requirements for the patrol, and we'd deliver a remastered version that meets the reqs.

Judging, I predict, would be done by some guy who makes sure that 1 patrol mission involving 4 systems has variety and isn't too time consuming. Instead of tasking him with redoing a patrol, he/she would simply be an arbiter, allowing the creation of many new missions in the time that it takes a dev to make one.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-10-2011, 08:57 PM
To try and make this more complicated, ideally, what I would prefer would be something similar to exploration zones where there are a bank of missions that are randomly chosen for the system. That way you could have multiple submissions in the rotation and a good chance to not do the same missions repeatedly. As I said though, I expect this is not as easy as I would hope, but it could improve the experience that much more.

With that said, it would probably be best if we crawled before we tried to start walking...
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-10-2011, 09:54 PM
I support this idea fully, Kirkfat! I am willing to put my time in for it!
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-10-2011, 10:48 PM
This is a very good idea. Let us make mini-one map missions (either just space, or space approaching the planet and then either interior or ground) and then have them approved to be new patrol content.

The patrols right now are some of the most uninspired content, with the exception of exploration which has cookie cutter missions that are far worse than the patrols. I actually think it would be better if exploration hooked up to the Foundry as well.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Ah, as in: Kill two groups, investigate a beacon, beam down to a derelict ship, kill two ground groups and a boss group, beam back to space and kill the battleship (alone) or even a dreadnought (with help of an allied battleship purrhaps).
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
I'd say that a major requirement for any submission is level-dependent enemies and making sure that the system/mission matches the existing system descriptions. So, the devs could easily give us the requirements for the patrol, and we'd deliver a remastered version that meets the reqs.

Judging, I predict, would be done by some guy who makes sure that 1 patrol mission involving 4 systems has variety and isn't too time consuming. Instead of tasking him with redoing a patrol, he/she would simply be an arbiter, allowing the creation of many new missions in the time that it takes a dev to make one.
Maybe it was those requirements that made the missions so bad lol
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
The patrols need lots of love. So many cookie-cutter killing 5/5 ships for half-baked reasons.

Here's an idea: How about letting us remaster them?

Give us the name of a system that has a lackluster bland kill 5/5 mission. Let us submit our version of a patrol that happens there. Then, pick the best one that can replace the official patrol.

Slowly, we'd be remastering a ton of content and a ton of systems together.

So, to sum, you'd get a workforce of authors remastering the lackluster patrols, and all you'd have to do is pick the best for each system and make it required playing.

If you need to, you could attach a disclaimer to each remastered indicating that it's a sample of "community-authored content."

Better yet, if you could turn the existing patrol into an importable Foundry project, then we'd get much to work with and not have to recreate the planets, etc.

How about it?
I love this idea, it will make me want to use the foundry, it will give players a say in the universe of Trek and also patrols will no longer seem like a grind

Quote:
To try and make this more complicated, ideally, what I would prefer would be something similar to exploration zones where there are a bank of missions that are randomly chosen for the system. That way you could have multiple submissions in the rotation and a good chance to not do the same missions repeatedly. As I said though, I expect this is not as easy as I would hope, but it could improve the experience that much more.

With that said, it would probably be best if we crawled before we tried to start walking...
I had a fimilar idea, but instead exploration, players can create content in 2 ways, one way is how we do it now or exploration way were you create a mission and when players enter a unknown system they do a random foundry mission
Lt. Commander
# 10 Patrol mission remastering
07-11-2011, 05:45 AM
Quote:

I too love the idea. It could be done with little effort and a little story could be written in to give them more life.
The mission should level as before I would hope, and auto level if you are a higher ranking officer that has never run the patrol to begin with, yet still have it in your Queue.

The only issue I could see for us that are also working in other UGC, would be the slot usage.

I would be willing to give up one slot for this effort if the Devs show interest, and if a mission is not chosen
we could delete it. A good idea KF! Worthy of a thought I would hope from the Devs.

Duke-of-Rock