Lt. Commander
# 11
07-11-2011, 08:40 AM
All of these comments assume that the borg Klingon actually got as far as being fully assimilated. What if during the assualt on the borg cube the Klingon got infected but the medics at the scene managed to halt the advance of the nanites before too much damage was done?

In our missions we can all get assimilated but get better so its not beyond the realms of possibility.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-11-2011, 08:43 AM
The same question was raised in DS9's "In Purgatory's Shadow" when Worf and Garak found out Martok had not killed himself when he was captured.
And there are some conditions regarding suicide explained in that episode: Not when there are still enemies to fight or there is hope of escape.
So when you can liberate one of your own, he has that hope of escape.
And as long as there are still Borg around, there are still enemies to fight.
From the soft-canon perspective there is also the issue with Klag from TNG "A Matter of Honor" who who is a main character in several novels: he found neither the fact that his father had been captured by the Romulans distateful nor the fact he managed to escape.
He was unhappy with the fact that his father chose to stay home and die "like an old woman".
Klag wanted his father to return to duty and reclaim his honor.
So that is indeed possible to do when you survive captivity.
Since when you play a liberated Borg you don't go home to die of old age, but return to duty (or join the KDF after your liberation) so you can continue the fight, I'd say it's well within Klingon behaviour to liberate people from the Borg when they can.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Perhaps it wasn't a Klingon that liberated another Klingon from the collective?

In fact, that is how I play my liberated Borg Klingon character. He was liberated by the Federation when the liberated countless drones. My Liberated Borg had attempted to go down fighting the Borg and was more than a little surprised to discover he had not died. Since his liberation, he created a new name and a new life for himself. I also have a Liberated Borg Klingon officer. I pretend they were liberated under similar circumstances. They now work with others that have had stains against their honor to regain their former glory.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
thats not realy in the spirit of why i made this thread, i have 2 lib borg klingons and said in the OP i dont want anything to actually change), i was just asking if klingons would do it, knowing what we know about klingons
In that case, then: I don't think the Empire would casually throw away the resources that a liberated Klingon might have to bring with them in regards to the fight against the Borg.

Seven of Nine was of great use to Voyager, after all.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Klingons aren't stupid. They would not throw away a potential source of tactical information about an enemy.

In fact, I would wager that the Empire would consider a Warrior who is assimilated but then liberated an asset, and his assistance with developing anti-Borg technologies and tactics to be meritorious service deserving of praise, and redeeming his honor.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-11-2011, 10:52 AM
I think that Klingons would consider the assimilated Klingons petaQ for being assimilated in the first place, & would exterminate the scum.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-11-2011, 11:30 AM
There is a difference between being assimilated and being captured. A captured Klingon is dishonorable, because he has chosen to submit and live rather than resist and die. An assimilated Klingon did not have that choice, and the moment he is given a chance to fight back in any way, he does. Is it any surprise that there were so many Klingons in Unimatrix Zero, ready to battle when the Queen invaded? Or that the first liberated ship encountered in that episode was commanded by a Klingon?

But to die a drone, your whole being still tied into the collective, there is no greater dishonor because they'll still have you. All your memories, every fiber of your being will belong to no one but the Borg, and you will never be free. No glory of Sto-vo-kor. Not even Gre'thor can have you. You exist as a cybernetic ghost for eternity.

These Klingons are still warriors, aching to fight at the first opportunity and more powerful than they ever could have been before. They bring a decisive advantage to the Empire and to throw it away and increase their risk of defeat would be foolhardy. There is no honor in defeat if you held back, and no honor in striking down valuable warriors who could easily regain their own.

And that is why they are allowed to serve.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resz
There is a difference between being assimilated and being captured. A captured Klingon is dishonorable, because he has chosen to submit and live rather than resist and die. An assimilated Klingon did not have that choice, and the moment he is given a chance to fight back in any way, he does. Is it any surprise that there were so many Klingons in Unimatrix Zero, ready to battle when the Queen invaded? Or that the first liberated ship encountered in that episode was commanded by a Klingon?

But to die a drone, your whole being still tied into the collective, there is no greater dishonor because they'll still have you. All your memories, every fiber of your being will belong to no one but the Borg, and you will never be free. No glory of Sto-vo-kor. Not even Gre'thor can have you. You exist as a cybernetic ghost for eternity.

These Klingons are still warriors, aching to fight at the first opportunity and more powerful than they ever could have been before. They bring a decisive advantage to the Empire and to throw it away and increase their risk of defeat would be foolhardy. There is no honor in defeat if you held back, and no honor in striking down valuable warriors who could easily regain their own.

And that is why they are allowed to serve.
if you are knocked unconsious and then captured it's a dishonor (sourced from birthright) that is not choosing not to die fighting and with the borg if you resist they are more likely to kill than assimilate so i can only assume the klingons who are borg would not be considered to have any honor once liberated as they didnt put enough of a fight for the borg to see killing them a better plan than assimilating them
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-11-2011, 01:29 PM
If you go by the Klingon system of value, being assimilated would bring them dishonor(because they would not have died in the battle, they would be effectively "taken prisoner... Killing them while in this state means they are doomed to forever be locked out of Sto'vo'kor. The ways to regain their honor would be to have a battle fought in their name, or have the relatives perform some sort of heroic deed. Liberating a Klingon Borg (essentially freeing him), means that that Klingon lives to fight another day. He is dishonored by allowing himself to be captured, but he can regain his honor when he returns to battle.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Klingon Honor is such a wonderfully situational thing that I'm sure "honor" can be found in whatever turns out to be the most expedient course.