Lt. Commander
Hi guys and gals:

Just one quick question.

IF Dstalh asked the UGC community this?

When can repair the foundry with no promises of recovering all the loss or curropted data or we can scrap the Foundry all together and rebuild it from scrach.

Think of the foundry like a rough draft of a novel or a story your writting. Now with a rough draft of anything you know where all the faults. It also becomes a blueprint of thing to avoid and to improve upon.

Now rebuilding Foundry 2.0 will take alot of time and alot of hard work.Which could push back many planned projects like Fleet Starbases,ect

1. Would you be in favor of rebuilding the Foundry from scrach ???

2. How long would you give us to build Foundry 2.0

Also the foundry on tribble would stay up in the mean time.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-12-2011, 08:26 AM
No thanks. I haven't really used the Foundry all that much, but the only thing I could see that it sorely needs is a 3D map creator/editor. Having to constant pull up the map to check the placement of things is annoying. Otherwise, I found it to be a very robust tool considering it's made for MMO UGC production.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-12-2011, 08:30 AM
I haven't used it much, either to build a mission or play a whole lot. But on behalf of those who do, I would like to see it come back in some form, in a manner that doesn't force the players who already published their missions to have to rebuild them from scratch.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-12-2011, 08:30 AM
its fine as is..its currently still beta anyways.

IF it was scrapped and rebuilt from scratch what would the point of keeping the old one on tribble be??
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-12-2011, 08:34 AM
If they would take the time to prevent exploits, I'd certainly be all for a rebuilding of it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-12-2011, 08:35 AM
I think it is very unlikely that the foundry will come back online with all the missions lost. As far as I have read and understood, the issue is because of a backend update problem which didn't not update the foundry they way they wanted. They were asking people to republish their missions in advance of the patch and it seems there was an issue and I think they are trying to republish them all at the same time on their end and fill in the black holes.

I'd say as regards to the foundry we'll see a rollback a long time ahead of a potential data loss.

In my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-12-2011, 08:35 AM
I really like some of the player created mission. What I did not like was all the foreign language missions mixed in with the English ones and there was really no way to group them by story or author if a players had created more then one for their story line.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-12-2011, 08:36 AM
for others to field test missions and stories.

Consider foundry 1.0 what we have today as a legal pad for stories and graph paper for maps.

Foundry 2.0 is new and improved.

Hopefully with mission type sections, Language sections and a section divided along ranks (IE. LT,LT.Com,COM,CAPT,ECT)

Is where you put in your refined story or mission.

Until Foundry 3.0 comes along
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-12-2011, 08:37 AM
My follow-up question would be:

Should we throw the baby out with the bathwater?

Without knowing the extent of what is broken in the Foundry, rebuilding it from the ground up seems like a pretty extreme approach.

Considering the testing they did with porting missions on Tribble, IMPO, it doesn't seem like the Foundry is so broken that a rebuild would be necessary. I think they just want to ensure that players loose as little work as possible, which is why they're taking their time getting it fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-12-2011, 08:38 AM
This question is like saying should STO be repaired(from the incredibly buggy post S4 state its in) or rebuilt from scratch?