Lt. Commander
# 21
07-13-2011, 05:23 AM
I am a Foundry author of multiple missions, have been since jan. 2011. The Foundry still has its bugs ( hence the beta designation) however it is still a very impressive and intuitive piece of programming. I think it should be repaired and slowly and properly upgraded. Starting a new Foundry from stratch would take time away from other dev. endeavors i.e. Doff system, academies, ect. and it would leave some of the most loyal and die hard STO players (us authors) waiting for a totally new mission creator.
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-13-2011, 03:59 PM
I'd be in favor of having part of the crew fixing the Foundry, while maybe one person come up with some ideas to improve on it. Not necessarily a Foundry 2.0, but maybe a Foundry 1.1?
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
Folks, we're working on getting things sorted. It makes us incredibly happy and proud that so many of you are such intense fans of both creating missions and playing them.

Right now the Foundry is turned off to make sure things can be worked on and do not get worse. It is a preventive measure that very much serves us and you. We want to break as little as possible while at the same time working on how we can correct what has been broken.

The moment we have more updates on this we will share it with you. In the meantime we can but ask for you to stand by, as much as this is currently hard to do.
I have a concern with the foundry and the new ground combat. Knowing that people make private entrances into their missions and low level mobs have no shields due to new ground combat changes, what is it to prevent a fleet from making a private level grind catering to minigun/pulse-arcwave weapons to grind their way to level cap quickly? Its bad enough with the daily click to wins and how accolades from kills can be rendered meaningless...but now missions can be made to make fleets in a way powerlevel to win. And with pvp ladders possibly entering the game soon, I see a bleak future for those that like honest competition.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkonis
I'd be in favor of having part of the crew fixing the Foundry, while maybe one person come up with some ideas to improve on it. Not necessarily a Foundry 2.0, but maybe a Foundry 1.1?
Well, remember - the STO team isn't directly working on the Foundry per se - the Neverwinter team is. That said, when teh NW team add new functionality, the STO team adapts it for use in the STO version of the Foundry.

Givwen NW content (by all accounts WILL be mostly Foundry author generated, I'm sure teh NW team is happy something like thiis happened before the NW game was live; and hopefully BOTH teams will learn from this incident and change things so another incident of this scale is unlikely to happen again (baring any major hardware failure, etc.)
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPHAOMEGA1500 View Post
Just one quick question.
IF Dstalh asked the UGC community this?

We can repair the foundry with no promises of recovering all the loss or corrupted data or we can scrap the Foundry all together and rebuild it from scratch.
If ever a question like that were posted by "dStahl", I'd know with (99% certainty) that dStahl's account was hacked!

Rebuilding the Foundry from scratch isn't going to do any good to anyone, least of all to Cryptic. Integrated Development Environments are one of the most difficult applications to build and building one on top of the resources one has to control in an MMO is a nightmare to be faced by the brave and bold, especially considering you're eventually going to allow MMO players to mess up with your internal in-game engine by scripting and asset usage.

Sorry, but your question seems to me like the epitome of wishful thinking...
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
The moment we have more updates on this we will share it with you. In the meantime we can but ask for you to stand by, as much as this is currently hard to do.
Stand by, stand by the coffe machine, be calm, be patient.. hate those phrases

Even if you can't lighten up the current situation on the Foundry yet, I dare instead to ask:
Does the Foundry have a high priority at the moment to be fixed or is the team focused on more important stuff
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-23-2011, 09:50 AM
True,

But aren't fixing bugs like pulling on strings of a carpet or shirt. Doesn't begin to unravel or begin to break down. ?

Because it is all interconnected right. Their is going to be a point in time where Cryptic is going to have to create a new foundry model.

Because all the coding for foundry tools and such will be out of date or just plain unusable with all the coding chance to fix what has happended when Season 4 was introduced.
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPHAOMEGA1500
True,

But aren't fixing bugs like pulling on strings of a carpet or shirt. Doesn't begin to unravel or begin to break down. ?

Because it is all interconnected right. Their is going to be a point in time where Cryptic is going to have to create a new foundry model.

Because all the coding for foundry tools and such will be out of date or just plain unusable with all the coding chance to fix what has happended when Season 4 was introduced.
It goes both ways. Sometimes with debugging the bugs themselves can be interconnected, and finding the right thread to pull can aid in solving a vast majority of problems far more rapidly.
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-23-2011, 05:59 PM
But that means you have to know which tread to pull in the first place and even if you pull it totally apart.

They are learning more and more for the next verison of the foundry they have to build.

But one question guy and gals.

When do you call it quits and start over ??

Because their has to be a point of no positive return.

Where with the information you have gather in the past.. Will allow you create a totally new foundry.

Hopfully better than ever.
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-24-2011, 02:11 AM
The point where you ditch the present system in favour of a completely new system is when it would cost less resources to do so. Considering the R&D process involved in developing the foundry and the complexities involved in implementing it in STO and Neverwinter.

It would have to be a major system breakdown to warrent such drastic action to be taken, some data loss and file corruption while is indeed concerning is not anywhere near that scale yet. Assuming the Foundry is fixed and operational by the end of next week. It will be three weeks to repair the foundry. How long do you reckon it would take to rebuild the Foundry from scratch?

I'd say earliest... 6 months. For me there is no contest especially considering just how close we are getting to having it all repaired.