Login

Lt. Commander
# 111
07-27-2011, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alendiak
What's the topic of this thread again?

What you guys need is:-
Rapid Firing Spinal Lance Mk C [Anti-PvP] x3 - Each shot is like a blast from the Doomsday Machine. There's a 100% chance proc that has a 1000 DOT that affects everyone who doesn't have boarding party as a Boff ability.

Expect it as the reward for the next featured episode.
I bet Klingons can't get that one either. Luls.
Lt. Commander
# 112
07-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Quote:

Rapid Firing Spinal Lance Mk C [Anti-PvP] x3 - Each shot is like a blast from the Doomsday Machine. There's a 100% chance proc that has a 1000 DOT that affects everyone who doesn't have boarding party as a Boff ability.

but what if I have the ENT-F with Voldermort 1 and 2 setup.
Lt. Commander
# 113
07-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Quote:

I tried that on Tribble, didn't like it too much. I forgot to have a BOFF with Boarding Parties, so I actually blew my own ship up...
Lt. Commander
# 114
07-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger
Greetings,

I would like to take the opportunity to respond to this one sentence since it is indicative of so much wrongheadedness.

Firstly, it seems that you challenge the very idea of Adapt or Die", when it has proven itself both in gameplay and over billions of years of evolution. To fully analyze this is beyond the scope of this, or any other, post. It is as close to an axiom as one can come in the martial arts, I will leave it at that and allow you to peruse the works of Musashi and Sun-Tzu at your leisure.

Secondly, it seems that your response and many peoples ideas in this thread are geared towards 1x1. Unfortunately STO does not have any system to allow any militarily significant combat to occur between only two combatants.
I say "militarily significant" on purpose because I know that some Mt Dew overdose victim will quickly scream "We do 1v1s all the time Stahr*Dagguh!" . To be militarily significant would require Cryptic to come up with a battle point value (BPV) system and assign each piece of gear a value, something they have not done yet, and due to its difficulty, might never happen. To be significant the values would have to be roughly equal, allowing both a theoretical and practical "level playing field", on which skill, pilot mastery of his weapons and excellence would be the determining factors in victory. The better side then takes their training, weapons and ships and make the playing field as unfair as possible, this is, of course, done within the game structure, eschewing any exploits because they also destroy any military value.

Thirdly, directly related to the second point, is that PvP in STO *ONLY* exists when there are 3 or more pilots per side (ideally 5), each completely familiar with the prevailing tactics and at very least proficient in piloting their ships; Commanded by a wing commander (orchestrating his forces like one fist poised to smash the enemy), ready to go head to head against another premade element who also are commanded by a WC, intent on nothing but victory. There is a universe of diversity in wing composition, if you fail to see, play more, train more, see more.
FvF, 1x1, 2x2, PuGs, "Oh we are just having fun pew pew", or Tournaments with idiotic time limits are not PvP. Until this simple fact has been digested by the "PvP" community the problem is not FAW, Har'pengs or the like but the lack of commitment to Excellence in Combat, the unremitting quest for victory.
The very sad fact is that there are very few in STO who have ever experienced a 5x5 premade and the education that it provides, I hope for you, the community and excellence in general that this changes.

Fourthly, "Boring". When properly administered a battle plan *should* be administrative not inspirational, that means "boredom" is a very good thing when you have annihilated the opposition 15-0. A Commander makes his plans as simply, clearly and logically as possible, knowing that in the heat of combat he will have to adapt, improvise and overcome. Only the worst sort of fool looks for an exciting battle. The "excitement" all too often will arrive of its own accord in unsought contingencies and dead comrades. Win before the battle begins, and celebrate after its conclusion. Always the focus must be on Victory and Killing the Enemy, anything else is to invite disaster.

Yours in "Victory is Fun" Plasma,
Star*Dagger
For your reading enjoyment, it seems that many were not applying this yesterday in Ker'rat.

S*D
Lt. Commander
# 115
07-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger
For your reading enjoyment, it seems that many were not applying this yesterday in Ker'rat.

Fourthly, "Boring". When properly administered a battle plan *should* be administrative not inspirational, that means "boredom" is a very good thing when you have annihilated the opposition 15-0. A Commander makes his plans as simply, clearly and logically as possible, knowing that in the heat of combat he will have to adapt, improvise and overcome. Only the worst sort of fool looks for an exciting battle. The "excitement" all too often will arrive of its own accord in unsought contingencies and dead comrades. Win before the battle begins, and celebrate after its conclusion. Always the focus must be on Victory and Killing the Enemy, anything else is to invite disaster.

S*D
I understand what you say, but remember this is a game to entertain us and for us to enjoy, I'm not looking for the min-max, or garaunteed victory. I am looking to have fun and excitement as well. If we wanted "administrative, not inspirational" things to do, we could all get jobs in forensic accounting. I will admit that McArthurs quote of : "There is no substitute for victory" , has its truth. But we are playing a game for entertainment, if we " Win before the battle begins", why even bother playing it out? Whats to "celebrate"?? If we were all to play this way, should we just be playing Puzzle Pirates instead?????

Yes, Star Dagger, I am looking forward to spending much of my time and resources to play an "administrative not inspirational" game. I am sure that all of those "worst sort of fool " (that) "looks for an exciting battle" types do too.

I agree that many players need to shake the PvE player mentality inPvP. People also need to learn to work together better. But the PvP needs to have more than a few "winning combinations" to make it enjoyable.