Lt. Commander
# 21
07-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breygorn View Post
a cool down of that could make it a bit too powerful,
although, it'd still have to turn to line up which doesn't happen very well. lol

I'd rather see a turn rate improvement over anything else on the ship.
Even if it was only a 1 point improvement!
Definately!!! I can barely line my ship up for a direct on shot half the time. I have to keep asking myself why it can have dual(and heavy) cannons. I usually run singles and maybe on DHC
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-17-2011, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
Definately!!! I can barely line my ship up for a direct on shot half the time. I have to keep asking myself why it can have dual(and heavy) cannons. I usually run singles and maybe on DHC
Yeah I find the DHCs to be a bit useless on the Galaxy X given the small firing arc. I normally use the single cannons or a combo of dual beam banks and beam arrays. Seems to be much more effective that way.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-17-2011, 01:38 AM
I rarely PvP, and during PvE, and both of my Fed characters have a GalaxyX. (a Sci and and Eng)
For my Sci character, II usually make a full stop and let the other guy come to me, tractor beam once they come in range, and once the shields drop I fire off the lance.

My Eng currently doesn't have a BOff that uses tractor beams so I make due with what's available and I've been using a Low-Impulse Evasive Pivot to get my Lance and Cannons facing the enemy.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Lau
I rarely PvP, and during PvE, and both of my Fed characters have a GalaxyX. (a Sci and and Eng)
For my Sci character, II usually make a full stop and let the other guy come to me, tractor beam once they come in range, and once the shields drop I fire off the lance.

My Eng currently doesn't have a BOff that uses tractor beams so I make due with what's available and I've been using a Low-Impulse Evasive Pivot to get my Lance and Cannons facing the enemy.
A nice thing I've learned about the Galaxy-X (and this probably goes for the T4/T5 Galaxy) is that it maintains its maximum turn rate even at 1/4 impulse unlike other ships. Granted my ship only turns at 9.7 degrees per second it's still somewhat of an advantage and disadvantage. You pretty much have no defensive bonus but add into the equation Aux to Dampeners 2 and she will turn like an Excelsior even at 1/4 impulse. With only a 15 second down time on Dampener. Now of course being an Engineer I have EPS Power Transfer and then throw in EPtA. Or use an Aux battery. She can almost hit 18 degrees per second. My power levels are also thus: 125/73/59/55. Yes with Dampeners you lose what you might think is a necessary tanking ability but not so much. I have an even mix of shield and hull heals (comprised of both science and engineering abilities) and I can still last a decent amount of time.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Lau

Problem with slowing down or stopping is that it decreases your already low "defence" stats so you ending up opening yourself to even more damage that way.
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Problem with slowing down or stopping is that it decreases your already low "defence" stats so you ending up opening yourself to even more damage that way.
Perhaps but I consider it to be good if you can survive 5 ships pounding away at your for 10+ seconds either at 1/4 impulse or a dead stop
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-19-2011, 01:31 PM
My suggestion is to make the phaser lance an aft firing weapon, thats where the baddies are in regards to the Galaxy-X.
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Quote:
My suggestion is to make the phaser lance an aft firing weapon, thats where the baddies are in regards to the Galaxy-X.
Reverse+Evasive Maneuvers+EPtE or APtID will do just fine.
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-23-2011, 02:56 PM
so what is the best technique for using the PSL?

Ive only just got a Gal-X and the PSL isnt blowing my socks off, probably coz im not using it right...

So as a Tac (with SP in phasers), what buffs should i use, what enemies arethe best target and when should i use it...on shields or hull?
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugster View Post
so what is the best technique for using the PSL?

Ive only just got a Gal-X and the PSL isnt blowing my socks off, probably coz im not using it right...

So as a Tac (with SP in phasers), what buffs should i use, what enemies arethe best target and when should i use it...on shields or hull?
You want to use it on Hull, it's kind of a wasted shot on the sheilds although will do a bit of bleedthrough damage.

Energy weapons, Beam and Phaser training skills all increase the abilities of the lance but as far as I know BO skills like Beam Overload and Beam Fire at Will do not do anything for it. Emergency Power to Weapons may, but I honestly don't know.

I've found it's great for an opening shot on the biggest enemy threat when you get in range. I normally buf up, let my Cannons and DBB get their sheilds down, then pop off the Lance, normally you can take your enemy out in one shot, and if anybody else is lined up around or behind they might catch some of the damage from the lance shots.