Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Will there be a version of the new Enterprise that is fit for a Science ship captain? I'm thinking something in the Miranda and Nebula line of "research ships that share a lot of parts of the current Enterprise".

I've seen something similar on the Drex Files site for a modern version of the Miranda, the U.S.S. Planck: http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2011/...ark-rademaker/

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
07-12-2011, 08:00 PM
I think the physical properties of geometries of the ship will be set. They've made it clear that this is "The Enterprise" and I don't see why they'd make three geometrically different versions of the ship. The one you picture varies drastically from the direction they're taking. On the flip side that could make a nice variant of the Luna (RSV?) class. There's been discussion of having different BOff slots and abilities based on career path but we're a ways from any decision there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
07-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Will there be a version of the new Enterprise that is fit for a Science ship captain? I'm thinking something in the Miranda and Nebula line of "research ships that share a lot of parts of the current Enterprise".
The term I prefer to use when talking about that type of ship is Catamaran style

Usually an Enterprise ( what ever era) has a Catamaran sister ship(basically a kit bashed with Enterprises saucer with the nacelles under instead over usually more compact)

1701/1701-A Constitution (refit) has the Miranda class(some say TOS era has Mirandas too)
1701-B Excelsior has the Centaur class
1701-C unknown
1701-D Galaxy has the nebula class
1701-E Sovereign some say the akira class or Luna class fills this role.
1701-F.... Cap Logan could have a bit of fun with it also a make a version for the Ambassador

I saw that the other day, I was going to ask if can STO get the rights to the "Ships of the Line" Designs from pocket books, cause Drex as awesome his re imagining of the Ambassador class would make a nice Variant

http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com...assador_08.jpg

http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com...d_2012_r06.jpg

Also this star ship would be nice as a variant for the Galaxy instead of the Envoy
http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com...ance_class.jpg
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
07-13-2011, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trone
I think the physical properties of geometries of the ship will be set. They've made it clear that this is "The Enterprise" and I don't see why they'd make three geometrically different versions of the ship. The one you picture varies drastically from the direction they're taking. On the flip side that could make a nice variant of the Luna (RSV?) class. There's been discussion of having different BOff slots and abilities based on career path but we're a ways from any decision there.
It's true that the Enterprise will be more closely representative of the winning concept art. Although what players can do with their own copy of the class needn't, IMO, be limited to only one variant.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
07-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Ah, thank you NeoSaturn, "sister ship" and "kitbash" were the words I was looking for. I'm specced for science ships and I assume the new Enterprise will require cruiser skills. I would like to fly a cutting edge tech ship, but I don't want to respec for cruisers. I don't expect they will make the new Enterprise a generic spec, so I hope they will make a sister ship (like the Miranda and Nebula are for their respective Enterprises) that is science specced.

The general design for a sister science ship seems to be:
  • Same saucer
  • Same nacelles, but underslung
  • Trimmed down eng. section or "roll bar"
  • Sensor pod above the saucer

A new science ship that followed that design philosophy would make me a happy captain.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
07-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winin
A new science ship that followed that design philosophy would make me a happy captain.

Wow How can I forget the most important part, the roll bar makes it look sporty.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
07-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winin
Ah, thank you NeoSaturn, "sister ship" and "kitbash" were the words I was looking for. I'm specced for science ships and I assume the new Enterprise will require cruiser skills. I would like to fly a cutting edge tech ship, but I don't want to respec for cruisers. I don't expect they will make the new Enterprise a generic spec, so I hope they will make a sister ship (like the Miranda and Nebula are for their respective Enterprises) that is science specced.

The general design for a sister science ship seems to be:
  • Same saucer
  • Same nacelles, but underslung
  • Trimmed down eng. section or "roll bar"
  • Sensor pod above the saucer

A new science ship that followed that design philosophy would make me a happy captain.
Ah, okay. I understand now what you're suggesting. A lineage of starships based upon a primary aesthetic. Not a variant within a specific class as STO currently interprets. And not necessarily a starship of the same tier as the original?
  • Constitution > Miranda
  • Excelsior > Centaur
  • Soveriegn > ???
  • Enterprise-F mystery class > ???
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
07-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi'a Meese
Ah, okay. I understand now what you're suggesting. A lineage of starships based upon a primary aesthetic. Not a variant within a specific class as STO currently interprets. And not necessarily a starship of the same tier as the original?
  • Constitution > Miranda
  • Excelsior > Centaur
  • Soveriegn > ???
  • Enterprise-F mystery class > ???
Exactly. And don't forget Galaxy > Nebula

Here is a quicky pic of what I'm thinking of:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...iranda-F02.png
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
07-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi'a Meese
Ah, okay. I understand now what you're suggesting. A lineage of starships based upon a primary aesthetic. Not a variant within a specific class as STO currently interprets. And not necessarily a starship of the same tier as the original?
  • Constitution > Miranda
  • Excelsior > Centaur
  • Soveriegn > ???
  • Enterprise-F mystery class > ???

Pretty much this,

Following the Catamaran Aesthetic Version rule,(CAV that what I call it) I could see a few new ship added to STO.

Sovereign> I say the Luna class in spirit. However, I could see a new ship costume variant in game using Sovie parts for the Recon science vessel )

Ambassador(what it comes and assuming it is a cruiser)> So if they released the bassy at tier 4 and vice(which I think will happen)could have CAV as a science vessel as an option at those tiers aswell

Enterprise-F >assuming it a cruiser too fallowing the CAV rule could have an SV at it tier aswell.


Funny thing, we would have had none of these ships if someone didn't read the Miranda plans upside down for Star Trek 2 :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
07-13-2011, 01:51 PM
They will have to provide an Escort and Science Vessel, at the latest with the next tier of starships.

So yeah, why not make an escort or science version inspired by the looks of the Cruiser Enterprise F.


Now start praying the Enterprise F will look good ingame.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:12 PM.