Lt. Commander
  • I understand that the Store is a good source of revenue.
  • I understand that for a product to be bought, it needs to be advertised.
  • I understand that people need to have their shopping experience as easy and painless as possible.

What I do not appreciate however is the recent, insidious branding of every pixel in this game with the Store.
The new launcher tells me how many points I have now? New adverts saying what's new in the store and not what's new in the game as the headline?

Really Cryptic, I *know* how many points I have. What are you going to do next? have a little "BUY POINTS" graphic attached to the mouse pointer? Are there going to be adverts on wall consoles on my bridge?

You are reaching your limit of my patience with this marketing push. If you are going F2P, then go already. Stop. Branding. Everything. Please. It's enough now.

~As with everything, this post is IMO and YMMV.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-13-2011, 02:50 PM
This looks now identical to the CO launcher that they've had for awhile. Probably makes a lot of sense to have them both the same with minor graphical changes. Easier to update both.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-13-2011, 02:56 PM
To adlib Quark, "Comes to C-Store,..C-Store's fun...come to C-Store, don't walk....run!!!!!!!!" lol. Now I guess I'll wait for the next ship in C-store to bust out the old credit card...heh.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-13-2011, 02:57 PM
i think ive bought everything from c-store...kinda feels like they havent got enough in there really....
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaTau
  • I understand that the Store is a good source of revenue.
  • I understand that for a product to be bought, it needs to be advertised.
  • I understand that people need to have their shopping experience as easy and painless as possible.

What I do not appreciate however is the recent, insidious branding of every pixel in this game with the Store.
The new launcher tells me how many points I have now? New adverts saying what's new in the store and not what's new in the game as the headline?

Really Cryptic, I *know* how many points I have. What are you going to do next? have a little "BUY POINTS" graphic attached to the mouse pointer? Are there going to be adverts on wall consoles on my bridge?

You are reaching your limit of my patience with this marketing push. If you are going F2P, then go already. Stop. Branding. Everything. Please. It's enough now.

~As with everything, this post is IMO and YMMV.
I am hoping that I can sell ad space on the side of my ship hull. Welcome aboard the USS Drink Pepsi

Branding, it's the future*

(*this future brought to you by Ford Motors. )
(Alternate futures are available for purchase at the C-Store.)
(Cryptic or its parent company are not responsible for any time paradoxes you may encounter by purchases of alternate futures.)
(Mileage may vary.)
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-13-2011, 03:14 PM
I have to admit, I don't mind the C-Store advertising in the launcher, but I preferred having server news/latest patch notes up there where I can check them as I log on and patch up.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
This looks now identical to the CO launcher that they've had for awhile. Probably makes a lot of sense to have them both the same with minor graphical changes. Easier to update both.
CO is also an f2p game. STO requires a subscription for the privelige of paying for content.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
I have to admit, I don't mind the C-Store advertising in the launcher, but I preferred having server news/latest patch notes up there where I can check them as I log on and patch up.
I agree, they need to add latest news and patch info back.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
CO is also an f2p game. STO requires a subscription for the privelige of paying for content.
STO needs to just go F2P, they're already pushing the store hard. next update'll proably replace loading screens with c-store advertisements
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-14-2011, 03:08 PM
I quite agree. I actually have a thread going on a very similar subject, though my critique is more on my disappointment that C-Store functionality - the text window that allowed you to glimpse at current server info and with release notes being a click-on-a-tab away. Right here:

Before, we had the lefhand image, and the small banner on the upper-right being giving out information of promotions. And with the latest update, we lost launcher functionality in favor of even more advertising space (something which already had more than adequate display before). The textwindow replacement to the latest promotion with a big 'VISIT THE C-STORE' button is simply redundant.