Lt. Commander
# 11
07-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
Yeah, a game has to be 'finished' and people have to have confidence in it for it to go F2P.
The words "MMO" and "finished" go together like a square peg in a round hole. Isn't the hole point of playing an MMO is that things are constantly added?

That being said... no timeframe for this? I just sent out a referral email not too long ago, with no warning that it essentially useless until further notice :/
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-13-2011, 06:57 PM
I think if they played this right they would hold the demo until the new tutorial, academies, and perhaps even the Klingons being a starting race, then release the new demo. Those things alone, if done right, could really impress new players.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body_Surfer
Until we get a lot more content I don't think f2p is even on the radar. As the game is now too many people would play all the content in a month or less and drop it assuming features like foundry creation are still for paying customers only and the character slots are limited as they are in many f2p games.
I don't think it is really lack of existing content so much as they've not been able to stabilize a new content stream. They'd be fine starting now if they were making new episodes every week and new ship skins every month or so.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-13-2011, 07:17 PM
What if they are adding a feature episode to the Demo?
What if they are adding the academies to the demo?
What if they are adding Klingons to the demo?

No one has said anything about going F2P. The demo is basically the only thing in this game that still exists as it did in the pre-Dan days. It was due for an overhaul.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Many many bugs and a lot of complaints...

Demo turned off

You do the math.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
Yeah, a game has to be 'finished' and people have to have confidence in it for it to go F2P,

With no KDF content, bugs EVERYWHERE, no new content for 6 months (yes I know there is content coming) it isn't a good idea to go F2p now. Cryptic employees better not buy anything expensive if they want to go there now..
I counter your argument with Champions Online, and I win.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-13-2011, 08:41 PM
I do not see any connection to the OP and F2P.. however.. my thoughts on F2P are as follows.

I used to preach against F2P in almost every game I have played. Over the years, after watching and playing DDO, then LotRO and now CO & ***, my view has changed. I haven't delved into Funcom's new F2P for *** much but Turbine's model for DDO and LotRO have been doing extremely well. Champions Online as well seems to be doing well and even drew me back in despite me being against it prior to it going Live.

Even if STO went F2P, I'd most likely keep my subscription as I like CO's business model for Gold members and would expect similar. I have been wanting a second account here in STO however but cannot afford another monthly charge. If STO went F2P, I'd be willing to purchase a retail box in order to maintain a 2nd Free Account along with my current Paid Subscription.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
It could also be related to ST Academy and Klingon Academy. They are suppossed to give us new tutorials and having to play as the Federation for the first six levels in order to unlock the KDF will also be a thing of the past.
I hope that is what this is as well! And I guess we'll have more news on it soon.....
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-13-2011, 10:07 PM
There's always been talk from the day DStahl took over that he wanted to expand the STO Demo a bit, and allow Demo players to see more of the game in the Demo. With all the other bugfix stuff being done, they probably decided to "make it so."

How some folks read this a "F2P here we come..." is puzzling as if STO were going F2P; they'd just announce it openly like that did with Champions Online whe n that game made the switchover.

If anything, work on the Demo portion more likely means no plans to go F2P anytime soon, as if it were the case, there'd be no need for a 'Demo' any longer.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum-CIA
Many many bugs and a lot of complaints...

Demo turned off

You do the math.
Weren't you banned?