Lt. Commander
# 31
07-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
F2P here we come! This is exciting.
Historically, the Champions P2P demo was playable right up until the day before it switched over to F2P.

The F2P changes were publically tested on the Tribble-equivalent for a few months prior to release.

I doubt even Cryptic would try to instantly switch STO to F2P without warning, even if they've got the systems in place.
Lt. Commander
# 32
07-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhelm View Post
I counter your argument with Champions Online, and I win.
**Snap, "I know you didnt"

lol
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Isn't the 'tutorial' being changed to Starfleet Academy and Klingons now get one at their equilv? They could be nearing the release of this and thus need to change how the demo interacts with it.
Lt. Commander
# 34 Free 2 Play
07-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
F2P here we come! This is exciting.

Free 2 play i sure hope your wrong !
Lt. Commander
# 35
07-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
I'm personally not in favor of F2P and everygame I've seen transition to that model has made a negative impact on me - it's mostly ambiance related for me, I think. There are also, generally, things subscription-paying clients lose and need to purchase after the transition which they could take for granted before.

A better demo would certainly be desirable, though.
Lord of the Rings Online being a notable exception. The f2p conversion for that game has been a huge success. It's basically a three tiered system, subscribers, who get acess to the entire game & expansions that they have purchased, in addition to 500 Turbine points a month to spend in the store. Premium, who are players that have purchased content but are not currently subscribers. These players have acess to any content they previously purchased. And the f2pers, these players have acess to the first 2 or three zones, in addition to the epic story line, and will need to buy content for additional zones as the want them. A model like this has been proven effective.
Lt. Commander
# 36
07-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th0rh4mm3r
Lord of the Rings Online being a notable exception. The f2p conversion for that game has been a huge success. It's basically a three tiered system, subscribers, who get acess to the entire game & expansions that they have purchased, in addition to 500 Turbine points a month to spend in the store. Premium, who are players that have purchased content but are not currently subscribers. These players have acess to any content they previously purchased. And the f2pers, these players have acess to the first 2 or three zones, in addition to the epic story line, and will need to buy content for additional zones as the want them. A model like this has been proven effective.
I actually really like this model. If indeed, at any point in the future, STO went F2P I would definitely like to see this. I would continue my paid subscription, most definitely. The 500 Cryptic Points/Month incentive would be very nice.
Lt. Commander
# 37
07-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainThraxx
If it's done like CO. I won't do it. I will stop playing STO. CO has to have the WORST F2P model i have ever seen.

Now if it's done like turbine. maybe. just maybe.

Um, the CO model is very much like the Turbine model. If you want your feedback to mean something you need to delve into details.
Lt. Commander
# 38
07-14-2011, 03:05 PM
if they would only keep a F2P version of Galaxies online instead of killing it for TOR.

I have always wanted a F2P with reduced access for unsubeds to allow atleast some in game interaction for most MMO.

if STO goes F2P i'mhoping the same stipends that are true for CO lifers is true for STO Lifers.
Lt. Commander
# 39
07-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99

I'd look at making it Ensign 1-5 (covered in the tutorial with the ability to swap to C-Store starter ships), Lt 1-5, Lt. Cmdr 1-5, Cmdr 1-5, Captain 1-20, Rear Admiral LH 1-5, Rear Admiral UH 1-5, Vice Admiral 1.
Probably, the levels will look like Cadet 1-5, Ensign 1-5 and then the higher levels.

You could always have the 5 levels of cadet be basic mechanics (including ship interiors--which are now semi functional with the "shuttle switch" capability), Ensign 1-5 be both the current orientation but with a more engaging story element and less orientation and the SS Azura.

I think they want the Academy to actually be a place for cadets, with the C-Store cadet uniforms.
Lt. Commander
# 40 HUH odd?
07-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Anyone think instead all this F2P jumping to conclusions, it may be that next week the new CADET uniforms come out???

Maybe?

It would make sense that the Cadet uniforms would come out with the new Tutorials and possibly then the new Demo Account access?

Just my observations, you may now go back to your F2P nonsense discussion.

PS. Every time Cryptic does something with the account servers or the Demo access does not mean F2P is coming. I mean we still are waiting on the info on the Perfect World purchase of Cryptic, I think that would come before any major changes in subscriptions and account systems hit.