Lt. Commander
# 1 Kzinti
07-12-2011, 12:26 PM
I was fiddling with my fleet uniforms and just noticed that "Kzinti" is one of the preview options....
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Wouldnt it be nice to get Kzinti or Lyrans as a playable Klingon race? Maybe as part of a Kzinti or Lyran Featured Episode.

For those of you that dont know, Kzinti are a race of feline humanoids that use phasers, disruptors, and drones as primary weapons in Star Fleet Battles (very similar to Klingons but with more emphasis on Drones than Disruptors, gotta remember that Disruptors in SFB were a 'heavy' weapon)
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-12-2011, 01:59 PM
For copyright reasons, the Kzinti never made it into STO.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Yeah, even in StarFleet Command the name had to be changed to Mirak over copyright legal issues.
Apparently, David Niven, the author who originally came up with the name, wanted too much money or simply was unwilling to let them use the name in the game, despite letting in be used in StarFleet Battles board game that SFC was based off to begin with.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
For copyright reasons, the Kzinti never made it into STO.
This is my point. The race appears as a preview choice. I suspect copyright reasons have been overcome...
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
This is my point. The race appears as a preview choice. I suspect copyright reasons have been overcome...
Unlikely.
It's far more likely that someone put the neme in there when the copyright issues were not obvious
and it's another Season 4 glitch it now shows up.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-13-2011, 02:20 AM
I actually really hope the Kzinti do not make it in, ever.

They don't belong in ST. They are from a different universe, and it just doesn't work. The big thing with the Kzinti were the Kzin-Man Wars. I'm pretty sure no major interstellar wars occured in the early 22nd century. Last time I checked the ST history.

And without that? Why bother. We have Caitians. You already have your cat people. If you really want more playable species, look into canon Trek for them. Klingons could have stuff like Chalnoth or maybe a cool insect race like the Xindi Insectoids or Jarada. Or for something weird have the Klingons conquer the Sheliak. Also, Antedeans could be nifty too for something not humanoid.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-13-2011, 04:18 AM
You know what I liked the most about Niven's Kzin. The way they evolved from a race of war like morons ready to kill at the slightest provocation into a race of war like morons ready to kill at the slightest provocation, but with professional apologizers if a killing spree was undesirable at that moment.

I think of them every time I run into a group of Klingons or Starfleet who say one or two really stupid lines and then come at me to die in three to five waves.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmendel46 View Post
I actually really hope the Kzinti do not make it in, ever.

They don't belong in ST. They are from a different universe, and it just doesn't work. The big thing with the Kzinti were the Kzin-Man Wars. I'm pretty sure no major interstellar wars occured in the early 22nd century. Last time I checked the ST history.

And without that? Why bother. We have Caitians. You already have your cat people. If you really want more playable species, look into canon Trek for them. Klingons could have stuff like Chalnoth or maybe a cool insect race like the Xindi Insectoids or Jarada. Or for something weird have the Klingons conquer the Sheliak. Also, Antedeans could be nifty too for something not humanoid.
What about mirror universe caitians for the kdf they could reuse the same model.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-13-2011, 09:56 AM
What do you think of Anticans as a playable species for the KDF?

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Antican