Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
07-18-2011, 07:34 AM
i cant ever get that ability to work the right way. when is the time to use it?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
07-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I'm finding the use of Photonic Shockwave to be too good for an Escort in both PvE and PvP. So easy to stun a target and quickly finish it off with a nice BO3 shot or finished off by cannons.

I own both the MVAM and the BOP and am convinced this ability should be unavailable for these ships. And I trust Cryptic would review this and come to the same conclusion.
Really Azurian cmon lets remember for a long time the BoP was really the only science vessel available
to the klingons and you want to remove a science power from it........ Well no and as far as the MVAM
is concerned its fine to.

But on a side note I personally think its time to up the hull and shields on the BoP to Fed escort lvls
since and I may be wrong I dont think the battlecloak is that big a game changer anymore, I mean its
been a long time since anything has been done to the T5 BoP varient.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
07-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo80 View Post
Instead of calling for nerfs all the time, how about asking for help on how to counter these things? Either predict when it's coming and buff yourself accordingly, or after it hits, turn your strong shield facing to the attacking ship.
Instead of blindly skimming a post all the time, how about actually reading them? The OPs post indicates the the OP uses the tactic described, and that it should be banned since s/he knows how effectively s/he can use it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
07-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I'm finding the use of Photonic Shockwave to be too good for an Escort in both PvE and PvP. So easy to stun a target and quickly finish it off with a nice BO3 shot or finished off by cannons.

I own both the MVAM and the BOP and am convinced this ability should be unavailable for these ships. And I trust Cryptic would review this and come to the same conclusion.
I disagree.

The tactic itself can be effective but it's not overpowering You need some luck here. I'll explain.

Photonic Shockwave is less than a 4 second stun and can be as short as 2 seconds.

You need to act pretty quickly because the duration of the stun can be very short. This is not a tactic that works everytime otherwise I'd think differently. Player skill, the targets hull and luck play important factors here in determining success.

Only one ship can really use this tactic effectively in game and that is a B'Rel. I've had a few B'Rel pilots try to gank me in Kerrat with this tactic and I usually manage to nail them with a PSW or TBR first. 1 on 1 I've never been taken out using this tactic. I've had lot's of B'Rel's try it and a few have succeeded when they had help from others.

For the most part, B'Rel's can't handle a sustained fight so let them have their PSW I say. It may also help to increase their survivability. An MVAM using PSW simply wouldn't fall into the same category in my honest opinion. There's no element of surprise and you can defend much easier against that.

I've seen groups of people use this tactic on a single ship and not be successful. There's no guarantees. It doesn't work everytime even with an escort in the mix. Too many variables to take into account that the OP hasn't thought of. It's an OK tactic to use and you may have some success but that's no reason to say that escort's shouldn't be allowed to have a BOff with PSW.

I trust that Cryptic has already arrived to this conclusion.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
07-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Instead of blindly skimming a post all the time, how about actually reading them? The OPs post indicates the the OP uses the tactic described, and that it should be banned since s/he knows how effectively s/he can use it.
Just because someone indicates that they know something doesn't mean that they do. Case in point, as several others have indicated, those very tactics you dismiss work quite well. What makes the original poster's claims any more relevant than the responses of anyone else?

Not everyone is going to be good at it. It's about timing. It's about builds. Counters have counters. Nothing works all of the time, if it did it would be over powered. Anything can be effective against some people but not against others.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
07-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I strongly disagree. An ambushing BoP alone is powerful enough, but have it stun you in preventing you from countering is just bad gameplay. While you see a MVAM approaching and taking action, you don't with a BoP.

Some abilities should not be available on Escorts, and this is one of them. Else whats to prevent players from abandoning Science Ship's altogether?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
07-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Some abilities should not be available on Escorts, and this is one of them. Else whats to prevent players from abandoning Science Ship's altogether?
There are no real science ships in the KDf, though. Not at most tiers, anyway.

So taking away even more use of sci abilities from the KDF seems like a good idea to you?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
07-20-2011, 01:12 AM
Just because you struggle with something doesn't mean it's wrong. It means you need to work on your build to deal with it. And counters aren't always effective against everything, nor should they be. You are asking for ridiculous limitations in PvP. Sometimes you have to explode. There is nothing wrong with that, man.

Science ships aren't going anywhere. Please don't try to pretend this has anything to do with helping anyone but yourself or saving the science ships.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
07-21-2011, 09:20 PM
"shrugs" -hands azurian a copy of -aux2ID-
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18 AM.