Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
07-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
It is totally random, though many ground maps are broken in that the scanning-minigame doesn´t affect the drops. Happens in space sometimes as well. This is more frequent on the KDF it seems, for no apparent reasons.

I managed to get 0 rare particles while scanning like 40 anomalies, and on the next day I find 3 Chronos and 1 Vertion in a row, in the same system.
Well thanks for your candor and heads up. I guess they meant my "lifetime subscription" was actually for a life time of farming. I'm NOT kidding. I have spent most all of my time on STO this summer (read since May) on farming, and as of tonight came up with the ONE Vertion PT trace. Tonight. After months of farming. This just ain't gonna keep me logging in after this. As much.

Before and since the IMO lackluster (content wise, yeah I know new shooter mode was supposed to satiate me) S4 update I have spent ALL of my online time farming. One "rare" particle trace since May (and that is when I started paying attention to how much time I was spending farming) is NOT going to cut it. Particularly given the current death of Foundry missions, the only other part of STO that has kept me playing.

I'm a lifetimer (obviously) and I truly hope the powers that be have made note not only of my C-Store purchase history, but my recent time spent playing the game. I'll say this, I am a big fan of the game and my stats will prove that. Of late, I am starting to drift away. This inability to craft based upon the inability to farm the needed materials, despite doing nothing but that? Frustrating, even maddening. Of course I can come and go as I want and I'm their beotch in the C-Store.

That is changing though. Sadly it looks like my suspicions are correct. Still NOT AMUSED.

LLAP
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Best success due to sheer number of sources would be the Raid Missions in Pi Canis on KDF side.
IF one of the freighters carries rare particles I always got a stack of 5.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia
Best success due to sheer number of sources would be the Raid Missions in Pi Canis on KDF side.
Wow - I didn't know you could get rare particles from those Frieghters.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Alas I have not started a KDF toon yet. I started to do that recently, because I was bored with farming and current end game content. I started one KDF a couple days ago, but it was late and there was too much tranya. So I deleted it. I've had 3 FED toons so far, one deleted and two current. So replaying content holds little allure for me. Though I will probably do the KDF eventually.

Unfortunately your info only confirms what I am NOT AMUSED about. Rare in STO "online" game seems to resemble far too much what rare in RL means. The hubris from STO to expect me to spend that much time is almost Romulan. Jokes aside, I've already spent far too much time not enjoying the farming to keep on Trekking for it. Still I have enjoyed the game a lot up to now. So maybe it is break time. Time to finally install Arkham Asylum?

As before, too much tranya. Must sleep.......................
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman1701 View Post
Well thanks for your candor and heads up. I guess they meant my "lifetime subscription" was actually for a life time of farming. I'm NOT kidding. I have spent most all of my time on STO this summer (read since May) on farming, and as of tonight came up with the ONE Vertion PT trace. Tonight. After months of farming. This just ain't gonna keep me logging in after this. As much.

Before and since the IMO lackluster (content wise, yeah I know new shooter mode was supposed to satiate me) S4 update I have spent ALL of my online time farming. One "rare" particle trace since May (and that is when I started paying attention to how much time I was spending farming) is NOT going to cut it. Particularly given the current death of Foundry missions, the only other part of STO that has kept me playing.

I'm a lifetimer (obviously) and I truly hope the powers that be have made note not only of my C-Store purchase history, but my recent time spent playing the game. I'll say this, I am a big fan of the game and my stats will prove that. Of late, I am starting to drift away. This inability to craft based upon the inability to farm the needed materials, despite doing nothing but that? Frustrating, even maddening. Of course I can come and go as I want and I'm their beotch in the C-Store.

That is changing though. Sadly it looks like my suspicions are correct. Still NOT AMUSED.

LLAP
While nothing drops for you that you want, stuff drops, that can be sold. You then buy the mats you need. Personally, I have never had the bad luck you do, I find my drops "adequate" . (I'll spare you details)

No offense but to bring up your status and what you spent on this game just over farming is kinda, well...lame. I know each to his own, but you have ways to farm and get what you want without them being drops, just a thought.

Farmers can earn what they want by farming for cash, take your game to the next level, if you're willing to spend the time repeating scans looking for one or two types of mats, spend the time selling what you got, and buy the mats you can't find.

SIDE NOTE. Several games I've play'd have had a code built into it that reduces drops based on "farming". Many don't tell you, Guild Wars did (as well as a couple of ftp games.) I'm not saying STO does, just throwing that out.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maina View Post
While nothing drops for you that you want, stuff drops, that can be sold. You then buy the mats you need. Personally, I have never had the bad luck you do, I find my drops "adequate" . (I'll spare you details)

No offense but to bring up your status and what you spent on this game just over farming is kinda, well...lame. I know each to his own, but you have ways to farm and get what you want without them being drops, just a thought.

Farmers can earn what they want by farming for cash, take your game to the next level, if you're willing to spend the time repeating scans looking for one or two types of mats, spend the time selling what you got, and buy the mats you can't find.

SIDE NOTE. Several games I've play'd have had a code built into it that reduces drops based on "farming". Many don't tell you, Guild Wars did (as well as a couple of ftp games.) I'm not saying STO does, just throwing that out.
Sorry, Just throwing this in... I love your sig.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-15-2011, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maina View Post

Secret codes to reduce farming in other games are pretty useless to me here! I guess if I had said that the reason I might take a *break* were based only on farming it might be lame. I did not bring up or state how much I have spent on this game either. Sure though, bringing up the fact that like any VET I'm maxed out and looking for end game content is LAME.

I've had no luck with trying to sell on the exchange. Buy PTs on it for that matter too! In fact for some time now have I not been able to get it (the exchange interface) to even display available PTs for purchase. Otherwise I might have bought my way out of this morass! I'll certainly take your suggestion into account and try again as soon as the exchange is ready. Recently read this *issue* was related to the aforementioned lackluster S4 release.

Lame-LLAP
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-15-2011, 12:51 AM
Your best bet for getting particle traces is scanning in sector space in the exploration clusters (see here). It will grant you more anomalies, on average, than scanning on (system) space or ground.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-15-2011, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrexianHero
Your best bet for getting particle traces is scanning in sector space in the exploration clusters (see here). It will grant you more anomalies, on average, than scanning on (system) space or ground.
Many thanks for your kind reply! I'll get back to you here when I try this again!

LLAP
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Quote:
I've never checked if it's a regular thing, but I definitely have gotten rare traces from the raid missions.

Of course that requires to have a KDF character (but you don't have to build him for crafting, just mail yourself the anomalies).

If the planned Open PvP raids also yield a lot of rare traces, that would be an excellent reason to farm them, I suppose.