Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
07-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post
IMO, I think a redone interior to DS9 or a redone interior of the wormhole itself would be a better use of resources than more work on the wormhole open/close animation.
I second this, although I'm happy with any improvements in things like the wormhole. Seeing the scale of DS9 brought back to reality (the lift door is three times the height of a character) would be amazing. I also still think it would be fantastic if they could get rights to the DS9 theme so that they could use it for the music of the space zone for DS9.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-15-2011, 12:19 PM
I think we all need to get just a tiny bit of perspective. Seriously.. All this for a Wormhole effect?

The last thing we need to do is put this much time & effort into complaining about something this menial. Perspective. Seriously.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarksunG View Post
I think we all need to get just a tiny bit of perspective. .
I couldn't agree more, the perspective is wrong. The Wormhole is not straight-facing DS9, it's tilted.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-15-2011, 01:27 PM
With all the effects work going into the Bajoran wormhole...I sincerely hope fluidic space can get this much love.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmattson View Post
Thanks for the feedback! The wormhole effect is a WIP. Our goal is to get it as close as we can using the tools we have available. There are some major differences between the way our VFX are created and rendered and the systems used to create the VFX in the show but I'm confident we'll be able to get it pretty close.
From watching the vid linked by Kas, I have one real suggestion: Slow it down.

Th Wormhole on DS9 always took 3-4 seconds to open and expand, the new wormhole in STO opens in a second and a half.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Well thought out ideas. I'm all for getting it right, but only if they do everything else involving DS9 right...including adjusting the size of DS9, inside and out.

But what I'd really love to see is them drop the brown nebula background in the system so it's just black stars (which is how it looked in the show) or at the very least change it to something much more subtle then is there now.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmattson View Post
Thanks for the feedback! The wormhole effect is a WIP. Our goal is to get it as close as we can using the tools we have available. There are some major differences between the way our VFX are created and rendered and the systems used to create the VFX in the show but I'm confident we'll be able to get it pretty close.
Keep up the good work! DS9 is a fav of mine - glad this is getting some love.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
From watching the vid linked by Kas, I have one real suggestion: Slow it down.

Th Wormhole on DS9 always took 3-4 seconds to open and expand, the new wormhole in STO opens in a second and a half.
Completely agree. It feels to rushed and less awe inspiring. The graphics still need a bit of work and I understand the wormhole is a WIP.

I also agree that the video seems too centered on the wormhole mouth, it was always at an angle on STS9.

Great work, so far!
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-15-2011, 08:45 PM
there are a few points i would like to see

1. the opening when it stabilizes:
---A. it needs more light rays.. it seems a little to solid around the inner "rim"
---B (more theoretical) there was never an IP viewing of what happens behind the opening. what happens if you pass behind it? nothing? if you used some science logic, wormholes consisting of gravitational forces at work, i would think there would be invisible distortions behind the opening (probably in a vortex cone) it would probably be more apparent if you flew into the back of the wormhole where light would probably be bent. probably something fluid-like and subtle.

2. the sound fx are still off. sounds more like an explosion than the IP wormhole sound

3. the inside of the wormhole in the game always bothered me in the one mission.. it totally didnt do any justice to the IP look
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-16-2011, 12:34 AM
I think the funky brown nebula background doesn't help the wormhole look good, it would be nice to have a background more in keeping with the show, black space with a purple nebula.