Lt. Commander
# 1 Alter these effects!
07-16-2011, 05:03 PM
This game looks and feels the part of Star Trek quite well, yet there are some effects in the game that don't quite measure up to the IP. This includes sound effects and visual effects. The following is a short list, feel free to add on:

1. Dual heavy phaser cannons need to sound like the pulse cannons from the Defiant displayed on DS9 countless times.

2. Quantum torpedoes need to match the IP sound effect better.

3. Warp nacells should "blink" when your ship hull integrity is below a certain threshold to indicate damage or power transfer issues. (A cool effect we've seen countless times on the shows)

4. Borg ground disruptors should sound .."harsher" like they do from Unification Part II and other Borg episodes where they fire a weapon.

5. All in-game music needs a touch-up.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykotion View Post
This game looks and feels the part of Star Trek quite well, yet there are some effects in the game that don't quite measure up to the IP. This includes sound effects and visual effects. The following is a short list, feel free to add on:

1. Dual heavy phaser cannons need to sound like the pulse cannons from the Defiant displayed on DS9 countless times.
I'd argue you could do so for both the dual and dual heavies.
(I personally feel like its the duals that match better, either way they should both match the SFX/VFX)

Quote:
Amen. Love my Quantums, would love em better if they sounded more intimidating.

Quote:
3. Warp nacells should "blink" when your ship hull integrity is below a certain threshold to indicate damage or power transfer issues. (A cool effect we've seen countless times on the shows)
This is an awesome idea. +1.

Quote:
4. Borg ground disruptors should sound .."harsher" like they do from Unification Part II and other Borg episodes where they fire a weapon.
Sure, why not? anything to make the Borg meaner and scarier is a good idea...

Quote:
Thats a huge request to make, but I won't argue with it.
I just use the media-player controller tie in thinga-ma-bob these days.
I have a specific STO playlist made up of my favorite Trek OST tracks, roughly arranged;
  • Theme Music/Titles
  • Some Exploration Music
  • Combat Music
  • Victory Music
  • Some more themes

And I skip around based on situation.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-16-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure there's been an official response to the "sound effects" issue regarding some of the space weapons in the game. They did a nice job with the ground weapon effects, though I still maintain that the Borg disruptor is a harsher sound and is quite amazing in the IP.

I want blinking nacells in this game, I think it's an amazing thing to add to a ship that is slightly damaged, maybe 85% hull integrity.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-17-2011, 02:39 AM
Emergency Power to Shields should be changed like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRMPGQ0BWI

Actually ANY power that fixes up shields should look like that.... enough with the silly *blinking MMO rings* everywhere already (not visually appealing).

The *Red Blop* still has to go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNH1WVduiUQ

but that is more of a bug
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-17-2011, 07:17 AM
Quote:
I half expected this thread to be about the silly reman/borg visuals on federation ships. Especially when i started to read. Strangely enough they arent on your list.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Small Fact: Borg are not in Unification Part 1 or 2.
Another Small Fact: The Events in Unification Parts 1 and 2 are good examples of what lead to the storyline with Countdown and This game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-17-2011, 07:49 AM
I'd like to see an enhanced sense of scale in space combat.

Weapon effects are scaled very large against the size of the ships. While at a distance it works fine to gauge what's happening but generally speaking it makes the ships feel like toys.

My biggest gripe is the shield effects, or rather the horrible blue ring ripple impact effect. It would be a vast improvement if shield impacts occurred in real time and if the shield squares around the ships could be toggled off.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Quote:

Sounds good, would be a nice addition.

About the first point, i think i remember that there was a quote about adding Defiant Pulse Phasers with the DS9 Episode as a reward. Which implies the actual Dual Phaser Cannons are not meant to be the Puls Phaser Cannons from the show?!?!

The Borg episodes might be Descent part 1 and 2? Those were mean Borg under control of Lore with the wrist disruptor thingys.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekronus View Post
My biggest gripe is the shield effects, or rather the horrible blue ring ripple impact effect. It would be a vast improvement if shield impacts occurred in real time and if the shield squares around the ships could be toggled off.
This is what impact weapon and shield VFX need to be;

http://www.fleetops.net/component/op.../topic,6931.0/

(If you just want a single image example; http://www.fleetops.net/images/Galle...201_191801.png )

Also, it would enhance the feel of shields if they looked different depending on type and were colored differently on a per-race basis.

Reddish shields for Klingons, Blueish for feds, et al, bubble shields for resilient, skin-tight for co-variant, etc etc.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Really can't argue with the OP... and I was coming in here expecting to do just that. <o.O>b

For the record though: I think there's a very good chance we'll see at least number 1 happen. They said they were intending to change the visuals on space cannon weapons to be like the updated ground Bolt weapons; and if you've seen the ground bolt phasers, they look a lot like the Defiant's pulse cannons. (Sound is different, but they can choose a different sound for space of course.)