Lt. Commander
# 1 New here!
07-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Hello everyone!

I just recently picked up the game and I am trying it out. I am curious as to how the guild / fleet thing works out? If there is any words of wisdom you can lay on me, I would appreciate it!

I am an Engineer, Lt.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhaenon
Hello everyone!

I just recently picked up the game and I am trying it out. I am curious as to how the guild / fleet thing works out? If there is any words of wisdom you can lay on me, I would appreciate it!

I am an Engineer, Lt.
Hey Dhaenon, and welcome to the game ^^
Fleets have their own bank, and possibility of various fleet ranks.
They have access to a Fleet chat channel and an Officer chat channel (If you're that high rank in fleet)
Fleets are administered in HUNDREDS of different ways. Sole-ruler, Council-based, democracy etc...
They also have different importance to players. Some only have a fleet for STF's, others for the social aspect. Fleets are many things. To find a fleet that suits you, first u need to think of some things.

# What kind of player are you?
# Want PvP, Roleplay, STF's, Teaming, Fleet Actions etc. ? (Most fleets have it all, but some are MORE specialized in only 1 thing)
# Big/Small fleet ? Big fleets CAN have advantages by activity. Small fleets allow you to get to know people.

Link to Starbase One (STO Federation Fleets) : http://forums.startrekonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79
Link to Qo'noS (STO Klingon Fleets) : http://forums.startrekonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80

Find out what you want. Then match with the existing fleets
(Or find 4 other guys, and make your own! )

Hope you enjoy the game with all that it offers. Let me know ingame if you want more info. Anything.
I'd like to help if you have any questions ... @Thiil

Check out our fleet at www.omegaparticles.com <- There you can read what kind of fleet WE are, and from that, form your own expectations to what YOU want in a fleet
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-18-2011, 01:03 PM
I have a couple more questions for anyone who knows. Where do I pick up some Dual Phasers for my away team? Also what are all these Mineral samples and such I keep getting from anomalies?
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-18-2011, 01:52 PM
away team weapons will drop as loot or can be purchased at starbases. I can't recall every having to buy gear for my officers to be honest.

The minerals are for crafting to build gear at Memory Alpha. There are a few hundred different recipes available, including special items such as an attack horta and the Delta Flyer shuttle. Save them up or sell them on the exchange, but what ever you do, don't discard them.

Welcome and enjoy the ride!
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Welcome to Star Trek Online!

Regarding fleets:
I would highly recommend taking time to choose the right one for you. Choosing the right one can make or break your gaming experience, so take time to learn about fleets you may like to join.

Some fleets are born out of community resources like podcasts and community sites for STO, so you can search for them out of game as well.

Take time to read on the forums, check out the guides sprinkled here and there, and lastly, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck, and enjoy
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-19-2011, 03:21 PM
I suppose I am very interested in a guild / fleet that is into everything but also RP. I like it when people have an interest in the character they are portraying. I remade and created an Ocampa, mind powers! But I found myself unable to think of a reason why an Ocampa would be in the Alpha Quadrant.