Lt. Commander
# 31
07-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Why not allow people who have reached the 'Ambassador' rank in the diplomacy system vote for the president in-game, it'd give them something to do.
Lt. Commander
# 32
07-19-2011, 09:20 AM
oo, Sarah Palin for UFP president!!!

*feels a slight burning sensation*
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
It doesn't HAVE to come in the form of appeasement. But I think it's more interesting if the leader does something that has us storm into his office and tell him or her they're making a mistake. In MMO terms, I think ********'s story got more interesting when players were thrust into a position contrary to the racial leaders instead of having a big love fest of pride and support for them. NPCs and leaders don't have to be people you happily support.

I just think one compelling and fairly logical stance for a politician in STO is:

"We can't be fighting to put out brushfires everywhere. We need peace on at least one front, even if that comes at a price. Heaven help me if I'm wrong. I don't like it. It's a costly peace. But compromises have to be made somewhere."

DS9 gave us a war with a handful of closely allied enemies and most of this half of the galaxy on Starfleet's side and it required tremendous sacrifices and consequences. I feel like we need to feel that. We should be getting casualty lists in we post for our crews. We should feel stretched thin. We can't have instability on all sides without being crushed and we or our leaders should be forced to make weak, morally questionable, politically questionable, or dangerous decisions.
the problem is you're thinking that a MMO is the same as a TV show..

it's not.

what creates tension in one just creates frustration and eye rolling at stupidity in the other.

we CAN'T march into the office of the president and give some great speach on how it's the wrong way for the federation. we can just click through the dialogue and maybe chose a line of text to say at best.

haveing a president whose on stupid pills is just annoying, by all means dramatic tension would be good but it needs to be over something real, not a fake position that no rational person could support.

which is the differance between your ideas and every example you cited,

in every example you cited the Federation Presidents acted as they must and as the law dictated.
Lt. Commander
# 34
07-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosov
Why not allow people who have reached the 'Ambassador' rank in the diplomacy system vote for the president in-game, it'd give them something to do.
not a bad idea but I'd consider it not the President of the UFP, I'd have implications if only ambassadors could vote for the federation leadership
Lt. Commander
# 35
07-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleX View Post
I vote for myself, I think I'd make a good dictator... er, president.
The new economic order was a form of dictatorship if you think about it. It's a really interesting, post-Marxist, fascinating concept.

Can you imagine, in today's society, plastic surgeons not being paid but instead being given credits for how useful to sociaty they are? lol...
Lt. Commander
# 36
07-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocusato View Post
The new economic order was a form of dictatorship if you think about it. It's a really interesting, post-Marxist, fascinating concept.

Can you imagine, in today's society, plastic surgeons not being paid but instead being given credits for how useful to sociaty they are? lol...
the problem with that is defineing their use to society. I'm sure someone out there for example thinks plastic surgeons are more important to society then school teachers.
Lt. Commander
# 37
07-19-2011, 03:28 PM
William Shatner for president!

No not Kirk. The Shat.

He can scare Klingons off with his spoken word albums.
Lt. Commander
# 38
07-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synaptic_Firefly
William Shatner for president!

No not Kirk. The Shat.

He can scare Klingons off with his spoken word albums.
"dear. Chancellor. J'Pock. We. Can. Have. Peace. or. I. Can. Sing. for. you. Lucy. in. the. sky. with. diamonds"
Lt. Commander
# 39
07-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Since we started to insert bad jokes here:
I vote for Peter Griffin! Because he will bring the Federation the good word...
Lt. Commander
# 40
07-22-2011, 08:16 PM
The idea has merit from the OP.

And mo, a ton of resources need not be used in vast quamtity.

A simple 'Newsletter' or a daily Holo reporter given out ongoing updates to the Political scene. Once or twice a week will suffice. 3 paragraphs of info will do.

And then, only then when the Devs have time to devote to an arc on the suppose 'Elections', then it can get crazy.

But on one condition, the person(s) writing it, will have to be impartial and fair on all views, with a spark of creavity.