Lt. Commander
# 1 GPVP reconstruction thread
07-12-2011, 07:55 AM
So, like many of us, I was REALLY looking forward to playing GPVP with the new system, but am sadly thinking of not bothering with it anymore because of its current state. So, as a response I thought it might be a good idea to start up a thread where we can help the devs get an idea of what we want out of a GPVP experience, and how we want the maps to work. I'm going to be drawing on other games and using them as examples here. Not because I would like to turn STO into them, but because they are successful, and we could learn from them. AND, one more thing before we get going... please no being rude and no "this game sucks!" posts. This thread is about constructive feedback!!

So, with that being said, lets start!
The maps. One game I think we can safely look at for inspiration and guidance here is team fortress. Arguably one of the most successful class based fps games out there. One of the things that makes it a success is the awesomeness of the provided maps. So, what do they have that we can learn from? Two big things stand out for me. First is safe spawn points. TFC and TF2 both had spawn rooms for each team that were defended against the other team by auto turrets. The auto turrets ensure that the spawn room is safe so that anyone experiencing a bit of lag when re spawning is safe until they step outside. The spawn rooms also ensure that the team has a safe gathering place, so that they are able to buff up and move out in force. Right now, we do not have this. Most times, as soon as one player dies in Arena, that team is screwed for the rest of the match. The dead player will re spawn either somewhere else on the map, or right back into the fight with spawning sickness. In either case, they are easy pickings for the other team. And once that player dies, the other team has the advantage, and is able to overpower and separate the entire first team. So, I propose that the maps be augmented to include these rooms so that spawn camping, team splitting, and early advantage can be limited or removed. This way even newer players will stand a chance, because right now, they don't!!

Second thing I feel would be an asset to the maps are small shield and health pickups. Right now, we rely on powers with timers and sci officers, who for the most part, will heal only themselves (more on that later) . So, what I suggest is that small health and shield charges that are activated by running over them are added to the maps. Not all over the place, and not in random spots. These will be items to fight for, and to protect if your team has control of the area, so they should be placed in the main combat spots around the maps.

Next, the previously mentioned medic sci powers. I propose that these be changed to cast on others only. I also propose the same change be made to the engineers shield heal. Right now I do see a bit of an every man for himself mentality during PVP matches, which drives me bonkers, so this change would force people to work more as a team.

So, that's it for now. Comment and expand please!! Lets help fix GPVP!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-12-2011, 09:24 AM
I forgot to mention keybinds!

I use a G13, and with the new shooter mode, I bound all my ground powers and abilities to it, and its awesome. The only thing is that when I press a button to activate a ctrl or alt ability, it will not always register the ctrl or alt, and just activate the ability assigned to that number key. I know im not the only one with this issue, and it drives me nuts. And im assuming it probably drives others loopy as well. Im not sure what could be done to fix this, but if it can be fixed, please do so! Using these mini game keyboards with multibutton gaming mice adds a whole new level of amazing to the new shooter mode, most of the time
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I agree that the Ground PvP maps need safe spots. That's always been a plague since Beta. These rooms can be protected by shields that respond only to players so that if someone tries to spawn camp, they would be repealed by the shields, which the protected players could shoot through.

BTW we do have Health Pickups in Ground PvP maps (except Ohta). Free Hypos and Shield Recharges.

For me personally, I would like to see some negative modifiers like accuracy debuffs when you are walking and expecially charging. STO Ground PvP heavily favors aggressive combat, so the team that charges first, is very likely the winner.

Oh and with Ground NPCs and Deployables, should have range limits that if they get a certain distance from the spawner, they would despawn. That way we don't see Security Teams or Drones running off by themselves on the other side of the map, or the map becoming cluttered with deployables.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Oh and with Ground NPCs and Deployables, should have range limits that if they get a certain distance from the spawner, they would despawn. That way we don't see Security Teams or Drones running off by themselves on the other side of the map, or the map becoming cluttered with deployables.
Agreed in full sir
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Good post. I'm no good at fps, but now that one is in trek, I will want to be AT LEAST as decent as I have become in space. I will watch this thread and hopefully we can get some good feedback fom experienced fps players.

But I will want to be decent in both. Which means enough skill points for both. Which means I think we still need to urge the split on points for ground and space. Dammit I'm a federation tactical officer, I should kick tail on the ground and kick nacelles in space.

See you on the battlefield.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHorizon
Good post. I'm no good at fps, but now that one is in trek, I will want to be AT LEAST as decent as I have become in space. I will watch this thread and hopefully we can get some good feedback fom experienced fps players.
You don't need to use FPS mode - you can still use the old tab-targeting, if that's easier for you.

As for improving GPvP... I don't know. I had a bunch of fun with the new system in Otha the other night - because there were so many people actually doing GPvP. Whatever happens, there needs to be something that encourages more people to play Ground - and then makes them stay.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
You don't need to use FPS mode - you can still use the old tab-targeting, if that's easier for you.

As for improving GPvP... I don't know. I had a bunch of fun with the new system in Otha the other night - because there were so many people actually doing GPvP. Whatever happens, there needs to be something that encourages more people to play Ground - and then makes them stay.
Glad you had fun in Otha! I admit, every so often there is a good match, but for the most part its rather disheartening. Especially in Arena missions >.< At the very least, I would like for the maps to be touched up to include some of the changes from my OP!
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godimas View Post
Glad you had fun in Otha! I admit, every so often there is a good match, but for the most part its rather disheartening. Especially in Arena missions >.< At the very least, I would like for the maps to be touched up to include some of the changes from my OP!
Hoepfully they have already begun on talks, since some of the Devs were on the receieving end of that chaos.

Felt good to run into the Devs in these matches. It relieved so much built up frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHorizon

But I will want to be decent in both. Which means enough skill points for both. Which means I think we still need to urge the split on points for ground and space. Dammit I'm a federation tactical officer, I should kick tail on the ground and kick nacelles in space.

See you on the battlefield.
You should talk to one of the Fista Sisters, they give some good advice.

But from experience you probably should start off with the Operative Kit, where you could use the Stealth abiilty to gain some time to get use to things. Later you could graduate to other kits and find the one you're use to.

Consumables - get lots of them. Large Shield Charges, Large Hypos, and Power Cells (most use large for the more power to weapons, but you need them to counter weapon malfunctions).

Shields and Armor - probably want to go with the Cap 3 and the Energy Armor with HPs from crafting.

Weapons - depends on your cup of tea. Right now the shotgun is pretty much the mainstay weapon. The second probably go with the TOS Phaser Rifle or a DPS weapon like a Compression pistol (those are the best DPS weapons).
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-14-2011, 01:01 AM
1-more exterior maps ( like the one at the end of the last roman FE mission
2-player's ship bridges as playable interior maps
3-let players pick their respawn points
4-objective based games, cap the flag, king of the hill, 'zombies' & the like
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran_Mak_Morrn View Post
1-more exterior maps ( like the one at the end of the last roman FE mission
2-player's ship bridges as playable interior maps
3-let players pick their respawn points
4-objective based games, cap the flag, king of the hill, 'zombies' & the like
These are great ideas. It would be great if you could select ANY PvE map via a dropdown menu, especially for private challenge matches. Also I agree please bring back the ability to fight Klingons on your bridges.

"Zombies" --- are we talking about the zombies game from Call of Duty? That would be awesome for STO. Borg could be fighting to break into your bridge!!! And you would have to keep repairing your bridge or your ship or whatever and running around while the borg keep trying to break into your ship. Haha!!