Lt. Commander
# 1 Klingon Symbols
05-02-2012, 03:06 PM
I was wondering if it would be possible to have it to where you can put Klingon symbols on your ships. We've seen Klingons mark the hulls of their battle cruisers with words of some kind. I think that would be cool if we could put some of the symbols on the ships in whatever order.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Yep. I'd like this as well. Typically, the D7's and K't'inga sported a three-letter nomenclature of some kind along the nacelle strut. I assumed it was Klingon for KDF (Klingon Defense Force) or IKS (Imperial Klingon Ship). I'd be happy with a static version of either one.

I recall Gorkon's flaghsip in Star Trek VI sported more text. But I can't find the good screenshot of that angle that is easily linked.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-04-2012, 09:15 PM
That's assuming that they have abbreviations at all. In the Klingon language, I have yet to see one. Also, the hull markings on each cruiser tended to be different from each other to my recollection, so if the symbols meant the same thing on each ship, there had to be several dialects in use. While I know the three symbol pattern likely wasn't intended to mirror it, the vast majority of words in the Klingon language are three letters long (which corresponds with the number of symbols most often seen on cruiser hulls). The second most common would be six letters long. Klingons have a thing for three's, or something. But you're right, it has been established that Klingons mark the hulls of at least their cruisers with some kind of identifier, whether it be ship/house name or some variation of words pertaining to the Empire or its military, so accordingly we should have some ability to likewise mark our ships (the cruisers at least, as I don't remember words on any other Klingon ships until the crew of a bird of prey painted HMS Bounty on its hull, but this crew weren't Imperials, per se).
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-05-2012, 03:07 AM
I don't know of any Houses with only three letters in the name. But you're right. Qo'noS (Kronos) One displayed a longer set of letters and a House emblem on it's nacelle strut. Gorkon is six letters. So that's likely. There is an official Klingon font. But its anyone's guess as to weather the movie model makers followed it to the letter. Or just chose random characters and then pushed the model out.

The first Klingon Bird of Prey model was originally built to be Romulan. With the red bird wings on the bottom. Then the script was revised with Kliingons as the adversary. When I look at it more closely there is a single symbol on that models strut (the one connecting the wing guns). But it doesn't appear as any Klingon symbol that I'm familiar with. Suggesting that the model wasn't adapted to fit the script change. Klingon Houses weren't thought of when that movie was first released.

I recall from TNG onward that the Negh'var and Vor'cha had the Klingon tri-foil emblem on both top and bottom of that hull section. But these models only displayed them on the port side. I don't recall seeing any lettering on those models. The screenscaps I find only show the models as they faced the camera.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-08-2012, 04:35 PM
There are plenty of house names with only three letters: Kor, Kang, Mogh; those are a few (in Klingon, ng and gh are both one letter and not two; for example: the Klingon word for "Klingon" is tlhIngan, and that is five Klingon letters [tlh-I-ng-a-n]). We have no idea how many letters are in the Klingon name Gorkon, but it is likely six as I would render it as ghorqan. However, we've been fooled before with the name K'mpec, which was rendered as qI'empeq instead of the expected qImpeq.