Lt. Commander
Can we get the U.S.S. removed from the Vulcan Science vessels and replaced with V.S.S. or somthing just don't seem like they should have the U.S.S. name.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-26-2011, 01:43 PM
i second this it should be V.S. Starshipname
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Why? I just don't get that. It is a UFP StarShip. USS doesn't have anything to do with being an earth-style starship, just one belonging to the United Federation of Planets - USS wasn't used by Earth or Vulcan starships before the Federation. It makes perfect sense for a UFP ship of Vulcan design to use the same designation system as those of Earth design.

My Joined Trill character who flys a D'Kyr class vessel works for the Federation Starfleet, not a Vulcan organization. He has been to Vulcan maybe three times, and has no Vulcan bridge officers. The USS Merlin has no more special allegiance to Vulcan than it does to Risa.

Basically, I just don't see why. We're not role-playing pre-Federation Vulcans or anything.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Wait wasn’t there a thread about this and the dev said they were going to be V.S instead of the USS.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-26-2011, 01:54 PM
All Federation ships are U.S.S, what differs is the Prefix.

The Raven is a civilian ship with a U.S.S registry but has the Prefix NAR
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Raven
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix316 View Post
Why? I just don't get that. It is a UFP StarShip. USS doesn't have anything to do with being an earth-style starship, just one belonging to the United Federation of Planets - USS wasn't used by Earth or Vulcan ships before the Federation. It makes perfect sense for a UFP ship of Vulcan design to use the same designation system as those of Earth design.

My Joined Trill character who flys a D'Kyr class vessel works for the Federation Starfleet, not a Vulcan organization. He has been to Vulcan maybe three times, and has no Vulcan bridge officers. The USS Merlin has no more special allegiance to Vulcan than it does to Risa.

Basically, I just don't see why. We're not role-playing pre-Federation Vulcans or anything.
The U.S. Navy currently uses U.S.S. (United States Ship).
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-26-2011, 01:58 PM
USS has nothing to do with the USA (our ship designation). All ships in the UFP are prefixed with USS. Vulcan is part of the UFP.

/not-signed
Lt. Commander
# 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterArmaEnimSilentLeges View Post
The U.S. Navy currently uses U.S.S. (United States Ship).
I mean starships, not ships. Sorry for the ambiguity.
Lt. Commander
# 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix316 View Post
I mean starships, not ships. Sorry for the ambiguity.
Ah well that clears things up.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-26-2011, 04:12 PM
And we want to be careful not to imply that the Vulcan ships are part of Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic fleet, don't we? After all, their flagship commercial suborbital is to be the V.S.S. Enterprise--a "Virgin Space Ship"--followed by the V.S.S. Voyager.