Lt. Commander
Hey all,

I usually fly and assault cruiser and I was just wondering if putting 2 quantum torpedo launchers on both bow and stern. Will I be able to fire more torpedoes more quickly that way or will the shared cool down last just as long as the recharge?

Right now I have 2 phaser beam arrays, one tetryon turret and a quantum torp launcher on the bow, with the same setup aft.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-21-2011, 02:58 PM
You might consider replacing that frontal turret with a single cannon. I'd also recommend sticking with just one type of energy weapon, preferably the one you've put skill points into already. The torp launcher fore and aft is a must. I'd even go so far as to suggest replacing one of the single frontal beam arrays with a dual beam array, dependent on your playstyle.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-21-2011, 03:12 PM
A torpedo launcher has a useage cooldown, and a global cooldown.

All torpedoes, when fired, put all other torpedo system on a 3 seconds cooldown.

In addition, each launcher has its own cooldown. Photon torpedoes take 6 seconds, Quantum torpedoes take 8.

When going for two torpedo launcher on a facing, it's usually more efficient to go for two photon launchers, since the 3 second cooldown will mesh very well with the 6 second weapon cooldown. Basically, whenever your 3s global cooldown will expire, a new torpedo will be ready to fire. You can even put your torpedoes on autofire this way.

With quantum, it's good, but not quite as effective. You fire the first quantum, wait 3 seconds and fire the second. At that point, you've got another global cooldown going, but your first quantum launcher will still need 2 more seconds before being able to fire again.

You're comparing...

Photon torpedo launchers:
First photon fires - goes on 6 second cooldown. 3 second global cooldown applies.*
3 seconds later, second launcher fires. First quantum still has 3 seconds to go. 3 second global cooldown applies.
3 seconds later, first launcher fires. Second launcher still has 3 seconds to go. Global cooldown again engages.*

to...

Quantum torpedo launchers:
First quantum fire - goes on 8 second cooldown. 3 second global cooldown applies.
3 seconds later, second launcher fires. First quantum still has 5 seconds to go. 3 second global cooldown applies.*
Global cooldown expires. First launcher still needs 2 seconds, the second still needs 5 more.
2 seconds later, first quantum launcher fires again. 3 second global cooldown applies. Second launcher cooldown still has 3 seconds to go.
3 seconds later, second launcher fires. First launcher has 5 seconds to go. Global cooldown again engages.*

So, as you can see, the firing cycle of Photons is higher. Dual quantum still works, if you want them, though.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-21-2011, 06:56 PM
The previous post covered this in good detail, but one torp forward and one aft of any type works well. If you are going to do dual fore or aft then only use photons due to cooldowns and sustained dps.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-21-2011, 07:56 PM
I only use quantum torpedoes so, I only equip my ships with one fore launcher and one aft launcher. The rest of the weapon slots are all phaser arrays. It also depends on the type of ship you are using. I am using a Sovereign-class, so its all phaser arrays.