Lt. Commander
# 1 Regarding the Galaxy X
07-23-2011, 01:56 AM
After I got past the tedious Galaxy at Captain level, I was thrilled to buy the Excelsior retroift. While a Galaxy X had a certain attraction, the turn rate of the first Galaxy made it an experience I wasn't anxious to reproduce. Getting that Excelsior was like taking off a pair of tight shoes. Freedom!

Something changed my mind!

I leveled my first KDF science officer to Major General, and discovered the fun of flying a carrier. The Vo'Quv has a worse turn rate than a Galaxy, but with BoPs to launch, and more science powers, I felt as a grand conductor in a symphony of utter carnage! My turn rate became irrelevant.

Enter this weekend's 20% all C Store Purchases offer.

I started thinking about that wicked look, that hull, and that cloak. I knew the phaser lance didn't hit that often, but it seemed like a fun challenge to master.

The price was unbeatable, I had the C's, and I gave in. I bought that flying Rhino! And you know what? It's pretty sweet!!!! I slide my RA engineering officer in the Captain's chair, I cloak, move in, blow a phaser lance, and start wreaking havoc. So what if I can't turn? All the mobs can do is suck my warp plasma. And life in the Alpha Quadrant is good!
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickpa
After I got past the tedious Galaxy at Captain level, I was thrilled to buy the Excelsior retroift. While a Galaxy X had a certain attraction, the turn rate of the first Galaxy made it an experience I wasn't anxious to reproduce. Getting that Excelsior was like taking off a pair of tight shoes. Freedom!

Something changed my mind!

I leveled my first KDF science officer to Major General, and discovered the fun of flying a carrier. The Vo'Quv has a worse turn rate than a Galaxy, but with BoPs to launch, and more science powers, I felt as a grand conductor in a symphony of utter carnage! My turn rate became irrelevant.

Enter this weekend's 20% all C Store Purchases offer.

I started thinking about that wicked look, that hull, and that cloak. I knew the phaser lance didn't hit that often, but it seemed like a fun challenge to master.

The price was unbeatable, I had the C's, and I gave in. I bought that flying Rhino! And you know what? It's pretty sweet!!!! I slide my RA engineering officer in the Captain's chair, I cloak, move in, blow a phaser lance, and start wreaking havoc. So what if I can't turn? All the mobs can do is suck my warp plasma. And life in the Alpha Quadrant is good!
Grats! The ship takes a little getting used to but if played right, it can be quite a beast.

It took a while to warm up to at first but several respecs and various loadouts later, I've come to love the ship. Not to mention the love she got from the Devs a few patches back when they upped the Lance base dmg and tossed in a 4th Aft Weapons slot.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-23-2011, 03:40 PM
I was a little reluctant when I saw a lot of the negative reviews of the Gal-X but I eventually cracked and purchased one from the C-store about 2 months back. Takes a little getting used to, but now I absolutely love it and once you get the hang of it you can dish out some pretty amazing punishment!
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-23-2011, 04:00 PM
I always liked that ship (no matter how ugly everyone says it is ). I'm just not sure it's offers the style of game play that I'm looking for. And I'm actually not very impressed with the price at all. I have seen some really great pilots in that thing, though they are few and far between.

Congrats on finding something you enjoy!
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-23-2011, 05:16 PM
For 1,600 Cryptic Points, the price this weekend is pretty impressive.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
I have seen some really great pilots in that thing, though they are few and far between.
Yeah, even though the Gal-X had a buff to bring it into line with T5 ships, I still have a desire to go for it first. Not helped byt the amount of lousy pilots who blow up in seconds.

That said, the Galaxy-X is a fine ship. If I was ever forced to go back to flying Fed cruisers again, I'd pick either the Gal-X or the Excelsior.
Lt. Commander
# 7 me and gal-x
07-25-2011, 03:15 PM
i have it too, i like to do 3 hull heals a sci team hazard emmiters a eps 1 and another power i dont remember i use 4 ap beam arrays 2 quantums a tricolbalt mine and harpengs i have FAW 1 hyt 2 and overload 1 i can really take it but the lance is useless in half the situations as it takes to long to cooldown but i can dish out 15k with my hyt however i almost wish i hadd a excelcior and its lt commander tactical.. and assult cruiser gets another tac console! CRYPTIC!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I love my Gal-X.

I like a nice, big beefy looking ship She's a brute alright. Flies like brick, but hits hard and is a very tough nut to crack. Excelsior looks nicer in a lot of ways, but its too ugly for me to ever fly... and way to small. Dinky little thing. Beh, give me my big fat Galaxy-X anyday. I personally love the dual cannons on it, but I don't make the mistake of relying on them If the guys in front of me, then good. If not, well, I got other guns to shoot at him with.

The cloak is nice in PvP, because you can return to your buddies without getting waylaid on the way. I'm an engineer so the alpha strike aspect of it isn't as useful to me, but its free extra damage now and then.

Its a great ship, just as long as your not in a hurry to go anywhere