07-26-2011, 08:31 AM
I never ever used this ability...
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marctraider View Post
The first thing I do when I get this power is to remove it from my power tray.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Danger
The first thing I do when I get this power is to remove it from my power tray.
I tend to hid it on row four or otherwise bury it.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Same here, mainly because by the time im able to press the button to activate it, im dead anyway lol

When this first came out one could activate it at will and blow yourself up, the only problem was, it allowed the griefers to blow everyone up for their own amusement!

Now, I do agree that we should be able to self destruct at will. The only way this could happen is if it was deactivated when entering esd, ds9 etc space to stop the griefers...
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-26-2011, 11:25 AM
I got Abandon Ship on my KDF recently.

I immediately threw it off of my power tray.

Completely useless. It exists because it was seen in Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-26-2011, 03:03 PM
What really offends me about this power is not that it is useless, but that it is a useless Captain ability.

If anything, it should be a freebie that every ship gets, like Distribute Shield Power. Then I wouldn't mind.

Instead, it represents an ability that we should be getting that actually helps us in the game.

If it was a "Go Out In A Blaze Of Glory" kind of power, maybe it could be justified as a Captain ability. But giving us a "ritual suicide" ability is just wrong.

The abilities we get should either relate to our specialties or be a cool ability drawn out of canon sources.

Replace "Abandon Ship" with "Execute Picard Manuver"!!! Preferably not with "Execute Troi Manuver".
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
What really offends me about this power is not that it is useless, but that it is a useless Captain ability.

If anything, it should be a freebie that every ship gets, like Distribute Shield Power. Then I wouldn't mind.

Instead, it represents an ability that we should be getting that actually helps us in the game.

If it was a "Go Out In A Blaze Of Glory" kind of power, maybe it could be justified as a Captain ability. But giving us a "ritual suicide" ability is just wrong.

The abilities we get should either relate to our specialties or be a cool ability drawn out of canon sources.

Replace "Abandon Ship" with "Execute Picard Manuver"!!! Preferably not with "Execute Troi Manuver".
Like you totally lack the authority to save the lives of your crew until you are promoted. As an Ensign in command of the starship you can only "suggest" that everyone get off the melting ship.

"Hey guys, so I was thinking, this ship is really getting pounded so how about we joy ride some escape pods. Anyone else in? Ok, show of hands, who wants to not die in thirty seconds?"
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Quote:
I have used it intentionally ONCE.

I spawned in a PvE map, late in a mission, and appeared halfway inside of an asteroid. Couldn't get out, and didn't want to relog. So, abandoned ship.
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-26-2011, 05:13 PM
When you abandon ship, it should launch you in your shuttle or fighter to fight on.
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post

I completely agree. They fixed Orbital Strike (finally), and now they need to address this lame ability. I mean come-on! You finally get to the Captain rank (Hooray!) and the ability you receive for this accomplishment is to destroy your ship and probably much of your crew??!! That makes no sense at all. Give us something to get excited over that will help us win the respect of our crew and our foes.

That being said I wouldn't remove the ability all together, I would just make it one of the standard abilities (like balance shields) that everyone gets with their first ship command. I would also tweak it so that it can't be activated unless your hull is below 25%. That would help to avoid annoying griefers, and also give the ability the proper context.