Lt. Commander
# 1 Sticking it out in PVP
07-25-2011, 05:29 AM
Yesterday I was in a ground PVP, it started with 4v4, but since the Feds (I was playing my cute Orion girl :p) outgunned us, we were dying left and right then the # little Indian scenario began with the other Klingons just leaving.

Eventually I found myself soloing 4 Feds, at first they just cut me down but after a while (and some talking) we fought a little more honorably and I actually got some kill; especially when we went 1v1 with melee weapons.

They won, but I had fun; but the I guess the reason I am posting this is why do people leave when the going gets tough?

I would have much preferred the whole team stay and we might have had a chance if we worked together, instead they left leaving us no chance to win.

The Feds earned their win because they stayed, I lost but still I had fun and if I had left the Feds would not have won or would have waited until the time was up. I won't do that to them, they deserve a honest fight and I tried to give them one even though I knew that it was also a hopeless fight.

Here is to all those who stay even when the situation is darkest. ~_^
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-25-2011, 05:46 AM
There really are very few situations where I could imagine leaving to be an option and those are mostly related to an issue in real life. I think it's most an ego problem. Some people don't like being bested and take things way too seriously. If it's an open zone like Otha or Ker'rat then it's not that big of a deal. Most times people, myself included, go there to kill and be killed while waiting on the queue to pop.

All that being said, just this morning I was all excited to get a match in before I leave town. It wasn't until I got to the Arena that I realized, about a week earlier I had swapped ships but hadn't traded equipment to the one I was in. I didn't even have an engine so I had to leave. Once I got that squared away, the next match a person on the opposing team left when he got rolled hard (he seemed to have engines and shields, at least for a few seconds).

I don't know, I suppose anyone can come up with any kind of excuse to justify doing something like logging out. People just need to remember that they aren't playing this game alone. What they do has an impact on everyone around them. It would be nice if people would try to be fair, just play the game, and let everyone enjoy it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-25-2011, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
There really are very few situations where I could imagine leaving to be an option and those are mostly related to an issue in real life. I think it's most an ego problem. Some people don't like being bested and take things way too seriously. If it's an open zone like Otha or Ker'rat then it's not that big of a deal. Most times people, myself included, go there to kill and be killed while waiting on the queue to pop.

All that being said, just this morning I was all excited to get a match in before I leave town. It wasn't until I got to the Arena that I realized, about a week earlier I had swapped ships but hadn't traded equipment to the one I was in. I didn't even have an engine so I had to leave. Once I got that squared away, the next match a person on the opposing team left when he got rolled hard (he seemed to have engines and shields, at least for a few seconds).

I don't know, I suppose anyone can come up with any kind of excuse to justify doing something like logging out. People just need to remember that they aren't playing this game alone. What they do has an impact on everyone around them. It would be nice if people would try to be fair, just play the game, and let everyone enjoy it.
That could be turned around you know

There are and were a lot of abilities that wasnt "fair" and enjoyable for everyone.. Broken FAW, Multipengs, SS3, Broken CSV3, prenerf PSW/VM/SNB etc etc.

Ive seen more than one person that stated that leaving the match was *so* bad and lame, yet they themselved looks back with fondness to the time they could blow up an entire Fedball in one pass.

Talk about being hypocritical
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-25-2011, 07:40 AM
sticking it out is the only way to go sir. my fleet and i can only get together to q up a few times a week, and even then we get our rears handed to us by better players.

frustrating when people wont allow you to regroup/fight back or they spawncamp....or they are just a kickbutt premade and your pugmates are bailing.

then again, its a war, or wargames. either way victory is everyones goal. just so you know, there are lots of us that have gone in lone after being ditched...we buff out to max defense, get a good angle and go into the frey.

if the opposing team has any couthe ( a few do not ) you may even get a friend invite, thats how i got a few of mine.

see you on the battlefield
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-25-2011, 07:55 AM
Unless a r/l personal situation where I have to quick log comes up, I never quit out on the team even if we're getting stomped. Sure, losing badly isn't fun, but just bailing on your team doesn't make it any better. I'm always for staying until the round ends.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphya
I guess the reason I am posting this is why do people leave when the going gets tough?
Because fragile egos sometimes override any sense of honor. I have no respect for people who bail in PvP, and TBH, it's happened to me more with Fed teams than with Klingons.

Quote:
if I had left the Feds would not have won or would have waited until the time was up. I won't do that to them, they deserve a honest fight and I tried to give them one even though I knew that it was also a hopeless fight.

Here is to all those who stay even when the situation is darkest. ~_^
Cheers! If the PvP player base was more like you, it'd be much stronger than it is, and I think the veteran PVP'ers appreciate and respect people with guts. I know I do.

Lt. Commander
# 7
07-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphya
They won, but I had fun; but the I guess the reason I am posting this is why do people leave when the going gets tough?
Because leaving without bruised ego / consequence IS an option. Easiest one at that. Maybe it's just simple like that.

But I know exactly what you mean. Standing all alone against the odds, does have it's charm (but you have to be that type of person)

Respect to you sir, I always appreciate the sportsmanship!
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-25-2011, 08:50 AM
There are very few occasions when I think I would ever consider logging out of a match. The only instance I can really think of (that wasn't related to RL sneaking up on me with a club) was when the other team remained cloaked for 15 mins without attacking and we got fed up waiting. Luckily, I haven't seen a fleet like that one in a long while.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-26-2011, 08:35 AM
I've yet to leave a match, but I can understand the desire to. With the small GPvP community, it gets frustrating to get stomped by the same people every single time, over and over again, hardly ever getting any kills, even if your PUG is kind of organized. I mean, if you're getting stomped for the umpteenth time, even if you've stuck it our before, it just sucks. It might be an ego thing, but then again, it could just be a "I'm fed up with getting destroyed, this is ZERO FUN, I'm outta here" type of thing. *shrug* I don't know. I stick it out when outnumbered for whatever reason (yesterday some Feds apparently went to a private match right before the queue match was starting) but it really isn't any fun. I play the game for fun, and if something isn't fun... well, it gets tempting to leave.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-27-2011, 04:12 AM
I hate people who drop matches, it is so cheap. I have to be honest too, I see it a lot in lower tier klinks. Yes I do see it Fed side, mostly at higher tiers, but I felt it a point worth making. Anyway, sometimes it is really worth sticking around, you can have some real fun, like this match

Abandoned by my team right at the start. Fail. Took on the other team in a rolling 1v1 (for the most part, they took a few liberties at the end hence their share of 3 kills) and spanked em silly. I bet it was more fun than the 5v5 I would have had. This leads me to another point, I like to be courteous, if a game is unbalanced, people should be fair enough to self balance by imposing such restrictions as my enemies were kind enough to above. I was in an uneven CnH the other day, and until the match equalised I announced I would not fire on anyone, and stood by my word.

This is not a level of courtesy or fair play I see often, it is a shame.