Lt. Commander
I'm a tactical VALH-5, currently navigating the stars in a Sovereign class assault cruiser. I'm finally getting the time/nerve to really dive into the nitty gritty details of this MMO world, specifically ship loadouts, power management, etc. I've spent a decent amount of time reading the stickies here, as well as toying around with console changes. I've also picked up a Borg BO and a Trill BO to replace some of my old BOs that I've had since day one.

BUT, at this point, I'd like some advice from the many uber-experienced people here, re: my ship layout. So, here goes:

Ship: USS Pulsar (Assault Cruiser)

Fore Weapons
Dual Phaser Beam Bank Mk 10 (two of these)
Quantum Torpedo Mk 9
H'Peng Torpedo Mk 4

Aft Weapons
Plasma Beam Array Mk 9
Polaron Beam Array Mk 9
Transphasic Cluster Torpedo
Tricobalt Torpedo Mk 10

Deflector: Tachyon Deflector Array Mk 10 (DefF)
Engine: Impulse Eng Mk 10 (Aux, Full, Turn)
Shield: Covariant Shield Array Mk 9 (Cap x2)
Devices: Subspace Field Modulator, Aux Batt, Shield Batt, Weapon Batt

Eng Console
RCS Accelerator Mk 10
Plasma Dist. Manifold Mk 9
Shield Emmitter Amplifier Mk 8
Tetraburnium Armor Mk 9

Sci Console
Induction Stabalizer Mk 9
Biofunction Monitor Mk 10

Tac Console
Warhead Yield Chamber Mk 8
Directed Energy Dist. Manifold Mk 10
Polaron Phase Mod. Mk 9

So, with that said, feel free to tell me what I'm doing wrong, or why I'm setup for failure at every turn (b/c I likely am in one way or another, lol). Feedback/suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand_Moff_Joseph
I'm a tactical VALH-5, currently navigating the stars in a Sovereign class assault cruiser. I'm finally getting the time/nerve to really dive into the nitty gritty details of this MMO world, specifically ship loadouts, power management, etc. I've spent a decent amount of time reading the stickies here, as well as toying around with console changes. I've also picked up a Borg BO and a Trill BO to replace some of my old BOs that I've had since day one.

BUT, at this point, I'd like some advice from the many uber-experienced people here, re: my ship layout. So, here goes:

Fore Weapons
Quantum Torpedo Mk 9
H'Peng Torpedo Mk 4

Aft Weapons
Plasma Beam Array Mk 9
Polaron Beam Array Mk 9
Tricobalt Torpedo Mk 10

Eng Console
RCS Accelerator Mk 10
Tetraburnium Armor Mk 9

Sci Console

Tac Console
Polaron Phase Mod. Mk 9

So, with that said, feel free to tell me what I'm doing wrong, or why I'm setup for failure at every turn (b/c I likely am in one way or another, lol). Feedback/suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks!
well first of all you are using a lot of different energy weapon types, it's best to skill into one and just use that type so your tac consoles can all be the same to boost your damage, you should also make yourself an aegis set. The bio function monitor is a bit meh since your crew really doesn't do anything, you should fit stuff that helps whatever sci powers you are using. Your torps are also all over the place, and for the most part energy weapons are much better so I wouldn't fit more than one on the front and rear, use broadsides to do a lot of damage, a 6-8 beam broadside can do a lot of damage and you can use the EPS engineering consoles to keep your weapon power up high to keep it up for a while.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Quote:

Fore Weapons]
Quantum Torpedo Mk 9
H'Peng Torpedo Mk 4

Aft Weapons
Plasma Beam Array Mk 9
Polaron Beam Array Mk 9
Tricobalt Torpedo Mk 10

Eng Console
RCS Accelerator Mk 10
Tetraburnium Armor Mk 9

Sci Console

Tac Console
Polaron Phase Mod. Mk 9

Thanks!
What I would change:

Fore Weapons
Dual Phaser Beam Bank Mk 10+ x2
Quantum Torpedo Mk 10+
Phaser Beam Array Mk 10+

Aft Weapons
Phaser Beam Array Mk 10+ x3
Mk 10+ Torpedo of choice

Deflector: Tachyon Deflector Array Mk 10 (DefF) / Aegis Deflector when possible
Engine: Impulse Eng Mk 10 (Aux, Full, Turn) / Borg Engines when possible
Shield: Covariant Shield Array Mk 10+ (Cap x2) / Aegis Shield when possible

Eng Console
Neutronium Armor Mk 10+ x2
Plasma Dist. Manifold Mk 10+
Shield Emitter Amplifier Mk 10+

Sci Console - Use consoles that boost Sci powers you use
Halon System Mk 10+ for Polarize Hull / Hazard Emitters
Borg Console

Tac Console
Directed Energy Dist. Manifold Mk 10+ x3 or Phaser Relay Mk 10+ x3

Notes:
  • I'm assuming this is for PvE only. If you want PvP build advice check out the PvP section. Good stuff there.
  • Use the highest Mk gear you can get (Mk XI).
  • Use the same energy weapon type to minimize spreading skills too thin.
  • I wasn't impressed with the H'Peng torpedo. Used it on my Lt. Cmr and it was underwhelming. Maybe if you had four up front...
  • Run with 'Attack' power preset (100 weapon power).
  • Crafting is a great way to get good Mk X and Mk XI gear.
  • Keep moving. Always.

I'm not an expert but I run an Assault Cruiser with the above layout and it does well. Of course, your BOff abilities should complement the way your ship is outfitted, or is it the other way around? Either way, have fun.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the help/advice so far! I've been told that there is a test server - Tribble I believe - where you can try setups out without too much hassle. How does one log on to that server?

Also, a few other points/questions:

-I'm about to start the Borg missions, so I assume I'll pickup a Borg console and engines from those. Right?
-I noticed the Aegis items during a recent attempt to jumpstart my crafting skills. I'm thinking that crafting the whole Aegis set would be a good long term bet.
-I know the bigger cruisers aren't the most nimble, and some of the stickies suggest that the RCS consoles are fairly useless on such big ships. Should I ditch it or keep it?
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the help/advice so far! I've been told that there is a test server - Tribble I believe - where you can try setups out without too much hassle. How does one log on to that server?

Also, a few other points/questions:

-I'm about to start the Borg missions, so I assume I'll pickup a Borg console and engines from those. Right?
-I noticed the Aegis items during a recent attempt to jumpstart my crafting skills. I'm thinking that crafting the whole Aegis set would be a good long term bet.
-I know the bigger cruisers aren't the most nimble, and some of the stickies suggest that the RCS consoles are fairly useless on such big ships. Should I ditch it or keep it?
The Tribble Public Test Server FAQ should answer any questions you have about Tribble.

- The Borg console is from the mission Assimilation and is playable by one person. The other Borg gear is from the STF (Special Task Force) missions and require a team to complete.
- Crafting the Aegis set shouldn't take too much time. If you have the mats you can go from 0 crafting skill to max in a day. If you don't want to mess with crafting you can either buy the Aegis set from the Exchange or see if someone will craft it for you if you have the materials.
- Ditch it. It's basically increasing a low number by a percentage. RCS consoles really pay off when the ship they're on can already turn well. If you want a fairly nimble cruiser try the Excelsior-Refit. EDIT: If you want to stick with an Assault Cruiser but want a better turning rate try Aux to Inertial Dampeners.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-26-2011, 09:54 AM
I've still not gotten the hang of using multiple torp launchers either front or rear. The cooldowns are shared so it's not like you can fire two at the same time.

Obviously a lower level than you, but on my Galaxy I'm running a full tachyon build... eats through shields much faster enabling the torps to be more useful.

Forward:
Dual Tachyon Beam Bank
Tachyon Array x2
Chroniton Torp

Aft:
Tachyon Array x2
Har'peng torp.

I use the one set of dual beams up front so when I go for a forward attack there are 4 beams hitting and I get 4 beams on broadside too. The stronger torp is in the rear as a lot of smaller ships love to try and stick to my tail... that makes them think twice about staying back there.