Lt. Commander
# 11
07-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegir View Post
It was $14.99
No. It was not. Your sub did not go up this month. The game cost $14.99 last month and it cost the same this month the only difference is there was stuff added for free.

If you like to collect ships the b'tran cluster awaits. I'm grinding right now for the Nebula refit. I would not pay real money for any of these ships. That's the thing that's ignored when people make these complaints. The ships are free.

This argument has been going around in circles for a year now and it's the same old thing.

These ships should be free!

They are free you can get them for 500 emblems

That's not free enough! I want my new shiny now! Why make me play the game to get it?!

Well if you want it now, you could just go buy the thing from the C-Store.

These ships should be free!
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-26-2011, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegir View Post
It was $14.99
This was your sub, your sub is your part to keep the servers running. Don't forget this is a business, the developers don't work for free. S4 was in fact free.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-26-2011, 02:13 AM
im in agreement that the c-store is and have gone out of hand for a long while now.

season 4, aint much to cheer about atm.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-26-2011, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-child View Post
im in agreement that the c-store is and have gone out of hand for a long while now.

season 4, aint much to cheer about atm.
Name one MMO without an game store? I can't think of one myself.

This is nothing new, even console games have DLC that cost money.

Granted S4 is buggy and didn't release with the Doff systems, regardless though it was all free. I'm actually shocked we weren't charged for the Featured Series.
Lt. Commander
# 15 It will happen
07-26-2011, 02:33 AM
Every agrees it will happen. It is not a if but when
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-26-2011, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Blade
Name one MMO without an game store? I can't think of one myself.
Rift. No game store, more content, more population, far and way more successful than STO has any hope of ever being.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-26-2011, 02:57 AM
STO is my first and most played sub MMO, so put me in check if I'm wrong here...

But the content we get from all the major updates (FE missions, shooter mode, SFA, access to every map possible, alternate ways to get certain ships etc.) is basically like an expansion for other MMOs correct?

So basically we pay for just a sub while getting content to the equivelant of other game's expansions(which from what I know can be a hefty price) and yet people want to complain about having to pay for small things like uniforms?

I wonder how much you'd have to pay if all the updates and c-store fluff was combined as expansion packs.

Maybe I'm too uneducated about sub MMOs but I don't think we're getting a bad deal at all.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-26-2011, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_484
But the content we get from all the major updates (FE missions, shooter mode, SFA, access to every map possible, alternate ways to get certain ships etc.) is basically like an expansion for other MMOs correct?

So basically we pay for just a sub while getting content to the equivelant of other game's expansions(which from what I know can be a hefty price) and yet people want to complain about having to pay for small things like uniforms?
Incorrect. Typically most full fledged expansion packs has more content and more stuff to do in a single zone than all the content we've had combined since launch in STO.

Dollar for dollar the C-Store is a huge rip off compared to any xpac you can name. The last time I did the math on it (was a few months ago), you could buy the base game of WoW, plus all of its expansions four times over for the same cost as everything in the C-Store. Let me reiterate. That's the game, and all of its expansions four times. And you'd have staggeringly more content.

Just on a smaller scale, the current x-pac for WoW is Cataclysm, which is about 29.99. That's only two T5 ships on the C-Store, and no actual content. You'd just have two new ships and the same boring missions to do with them, heck you don't even get ships slots to go with them. Those are sold separately.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-26-2011, 03:45 AM
There's a guy in my fleet who has never bought a single item from the c-store and some how still has fun playing the game. He flies around in his Excelsior refit and blows up other people in PvP just fine even though he has not paid a dime into the game since his LTS. It's almost like you don't need anything out of the C-Store at all.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-26-2011, 03:56 AM
Looking at the models used by LOTRO, COH, DDO or Champions Online in their F2P structures, I assure you this is not a F2P game.

When you find your energy credits capped at 300 until you pay a premium subscription fee, then you'll know you're playing a F2P game.

When you find grab bags of random 'rare particle traces' for sale in the Cash Shop you'll know you're playing a F2P game.

When you find those rare particle traces are now the only way to obtain blue or purple level gear and the act of crafting them has a 65% chance of failing, but not to fear, the cash shop lets you buy "Replicator Insurance" at a very reasonable rate, you're playing a F2P game.

When you find the next set of Featured Episodes available in the Cash Shop, you'll know you're playing a F2P game.

When your character obtains a "belt buckle" gear slot capable of being equipped with game changing or power granting gadgets and gizmos, but the only place to find such gizmos is the cash shop, you'll know you're playing a F2P game.