Lt. Commander
# 21
07-26-2011, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
There's a guy in my fleet who has never bought a single item from the c-store and some how still has fun playing the game. He flies around in his Excelsior refit and blows up other people in PvP just fine even though he has not paid a dime into the game since his LTS. It's almost like you don't need anything out of the C-Store at all.
And yet, its almost like I care more about the glacial pace of content. Its almost like I kind of expect this extra income stream (I can't think of any pay to play games that pushes a MT store this hard) to provide me more things to do. After all, more money should mean more people doing things to improve the game, right? Only it doesn't.
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-26-2011, 04:45 AM
Not a f2p, yet. Sounds like good news in the future
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-26-2011, 05:22 AM
I think the paid sub model will stay on STO. I have read the tons of F2P speculative threads, but I believe that STO will stay a paid subscription game. Cryptic takes in a nice amount from monthly subs and lifers and it gets translated to development. I doubt that they will cut off their own revenue stream.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-26-2011, 05:43 AM
I see no reason why this isn't a F2P game.

I used to play guildwars. You buy the game, you don't pay monthly subscription to it. Everytime a new major update comes out you have the choice to buy that also (very nice collectors boxed sets with the install DVD). Each major update is a whole new game, as an example it would be the equivalent of doubling the size of all the sector space of STO and include all new missions i.e. doubling the amount of missions for each character level. And all this came to the cost of about £20-£30, again with no subscription. Oh yes you could buy additional character slots, but for each new expansion you buy you got loads more anyway. Oh yes, also NO BUGS. Let me repeast that NO BUGS, everything is fully tested before release and it' a huge press release with loads of new content, collectors boxed sets the lot. As opposed to STO that updates on the fly and fixes by the seat of its pants (this is not the way to run any kind of software development program).

If STO ran like this, it would be the best game out there. As it is at the minute there is not a great deal of content other than replaying the same old missions again and again.

The last big update 'season 4' i was expecting something on the scale of Guildwars (which does it for free subscription.

I love this game, i love the missions, the universe, the space combat, everything about it. There's just not much content.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-26-2011, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Blade
Really? How much C-points was Season 4?
You have a good point.
It was $00.00 dollars.
Also foundry and episodes...oh...oh...and the new Enterprise F.
And Iím sure the list goes on.
Poor Cryptic always getting slack, just because someoneís see's something they want...but donít want to pay for it.

So what do they scream?
Nickel and Dimed!
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
When you find the next set of Featured Episodes available in the Cash Shop, you'll know you're playing a F2P game.
This point hit's the nail on the head.
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-26-2011, 06:45 AM
I recall someone running a tally of what has been added to the game both free and through the C-Store. Unsuprisingly the C-Store has a significant lead.

For those arguing that Season 4 was free. You neglect to acknowledge that Season 4 is, so far, a background update that has only replaced systems and locations that already existed, it actually added very, very little. To a degree, all season 4 has achieved so far is to replace parts of the game that have been substandard since launch.
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk_DemonKnight
You have a good point.
It was $00.00 dollars.
Also foundry and episodes...oh...oh...and the new Enterprise F.
And Iím sure the list goes on.
Poor Cryptic always getting slack, just because someoneís see's something they want...but donít want to pay for it.

So what do they scream?
Nickel and Dimed!

Is this your first MMO? If not, stop lying to your self.
Foundry is an genius pice of crowdsourcing.

Every p2p MMO has contentpatches for free. Only addons cost some money.
And FE, season 4 and every thing what cryptic released since beta are nothing other than a contentpatch. An addon (wich cost extra money) in other mmoīs are more content then hole STO.

At the start of STO i had no porblem with the C-store, but this has changed. At first there are only some cosmetic things and some rename- or respecctokens. But in the moment when the caitian and aenar BOīs are in the store, cryptic crossed a line. Itīs like you have to pay for your skills in an other mmo and look at the inventory and bank slots. something like that i only see in f2p games not in p2p.

For me the store gone out of hand, i already cancelld my subscription and only would come back if the game goes f2p or the concept of the store getting changed.
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-26-2011, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinerchen View Post
For me the store gone out of hand, i already cancelld my subscription and only would come back if the game goes f2p or the concept of the store getting changed.
Can I have your stuff?
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-26-2011, 07:47 AM
I'm really surprised that so many people are griping about this.

You are Trekkies... do you not understand the concept of Ferengi economics?

Like most other companies on the planet, Cryptic is out to make a buck. They've got a halfway decent game and are apparently satisfied with the number of people paying the monthly fee to play. But if you want the really good stuff you are going to have to pony up some more dough.

The 80th Rule of Acquisition. "If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique."

The 166th Rule of Acquisition. "Never give away what can be sold."

I hope you get the point.