Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Seriously, why haven't there been?

No new game types, no new maps, nothing. Only now, 17 MONTHS after launch, are we getting news that there will be a new PvP map with the new FE - and likely, it will be a ground map. By far, most of the PvP community plays Space. And July's Engineering Report places more maps at Season 5 "and beyond"... we've been on the "Long Term Goals" forever now.

Ignoring new game types, PvP would be much better off if we got new maps. We've been playing the same 3 Arena maps and the singular Cap N Hold map for well over a year. Needless to say, it's gotten stale. All that needs to be done for new maps is to slap spawn points on them, throw them into the queues, and call it a day. Such maps already exist. Many of the current PvE maps could easily be adapted for PvP by literally slapping spawn points on them and voila. Yet, we haven't seen that.

Open PvP is to be added, yes. However, it was pulled down from Season 4 due to bugs... and seeing how broken Ker'rat still is (people spawning on the wrong side of the map, people spawning with the wrong faction allegiance, NPCs getting stuck in geometry, NPCs shooting at you but you can't hit them, etc), I'm not so sure how well that will work.

Instead, we get relatively useless content like Starfleet Academy. Yes, some people really wanted to see it. However, I feel like they could have waited a tad bit longer if real content were to be added. But, instead, we get every whim and desire of the PvE community pandered to. "I want new costumes! I want a new ESD! I want moar sightseeing!" These are all fulfilled, while all we ask for is for already existing maps to have spawn points thrown onto them (come on, how long does that really take?) and added to the queues.

For this reason, I ask if there is actually a real reason the PvP community has been left to largely dry up and die, or if there is a legitimate reason as to why we've been ignored. Maybe there's some horribly massive technical issue, as unlikely as it seems. Some communication from the Devs expressing this would go a long way as for community relations. If there is no reason, and it was just an oversight or something, I'd like to call attention to the fact that we've been left high and dry.

EDIT: In the interest of fairness, I should point on that Shanty Town was added some time ago to Ground PvP - however, Space PvP lost a map and an entire game type (for utterly unknown reasons), so at best, these even out.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-25-2011, 07:06 AM
I am personally a fan that my missing moon and skirt issues got fixed! And what would I do without more skirts!?!?!

I think it's kind of bologna that they still haven't added anything for PVP. We're one of the largest communities in the game who actually uses everything to it's fullest potential and still we get no love. I'd be happy with even just another map! I don't think we're looking for some major "overhaul" (unless we are, please call me out on it ), just a little more intimacy. I am NO ONE'S bad dog, don't yell at me and not give me a treat!

And Praxis, don't dis Starfleet Academy, it haz teh ub3r scenery
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-25-2011, 07:12 AM
I rather they focus more on the exploration aspect of startrek instead of instanced PvP.

We want to explore and boldy go where noman has gone before. I wanna fly in a huge space and get hailed by some unknown lifeform and the game picks it up from there...
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-25-2011, 07:14 AM
yeah there are about dual digit numbers of pvpers on at a time at most for most of the day.
I think some names have already burned into my retina.

There is no audience left for pvp stuff, the lack of anything new has made sure of that. so why start now.

its a business, not an art.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-25-2011, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
yeah there are about dual digit numbers of pvpers on at a time at most for most of the day.

There is no audience left for pvp stuff, the lack of anything new has made sure of that. so why start now.

^ that. Cryptic's thrown pvp off to the side a long time ago.

Sometimes the most spontaneous pvp comes from opvp chat, where hilarity ensues from random nerdrages.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post

Quite the contrary. While we have lost quite a few people, there are a significant number of us left. We organize tournaments and pick up events all the time. There was one tournament in July alone that had around 8 full teams sign up for it. The OrganizedPvP channel, which not even everyone that routinely PvPs is a part of, currently has 1258 people subscribed to it (I just checked in game).

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorlord View Post
I rather they focus more on the exploration aspect of startrek instead of instanced PvP.

We want to explore and boldy go where noman has gone before. I wanna fly in a huge space and get hailed by some unknown lifeform and the game picks it up from there...
Understandable. You do have that to an extent. However, straight up ignoring a significant amount of the community isn't just unfair to those of us who are paying customers, it's rather insulting.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-25-2011, 07:24 AM
PvE content draws in the casual players that pay the bills and without them, STO doesn't exist. It's that simple.

The Academy was brought in so players can explore it and learn while the devs continue to ready the new tutorial which will take place at the Academy. You have to add in maps before you can create content to use those maps.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701 View Post
We're one of the largest communities in the game who actually uses everything to it's fullest potential and still we get no love.
Uber powerful aux2bat rainbow turret builds. ... I also change my costumes five time during each arena, depending on the opponents.

I heard of pvpers who use the game to its fullest soooo much that they refuse to get borg gear, because boy is there potential in this game.

Short version. PvP ain't the majority of anything in STO, besides QQ, leetism and forum banns. Its a PvE game, lets face it. KDF as pvp faction is a myth. The question is still a good one imv. Why is STO so hellbent on griefing PvP players?

I have no idea
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-25-2011, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
PvE content draws in the casual players that pay the bills and without them, STO doesn't exist. It's that simple.

The Academy was brought in so players can explore it and learn while the devs continue to ready the new tutorial which will take place at the Academy. You have to add in maps before you can create content to use those maps.
No doubt, it does. And there is a majority of PvEers, no questioning that.

However, we DO still pay. It's an absolute insult that we have gotten nothing at all. I'm not asking for them to drop everything they're doing for PvE and start funneling all of their time into PvP, but what we're asking for would take no longer than day, tops. Why can't we, as equally paying customers, get even an ounce of development time?
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-25-2011, 07:41 AM
i am at a loss and somewhat disappointed that pvp has been ignored for so long, but i can only assume its a numbers game. adding a handful of pvp maps does not seem that hard, but perhaps its more complex than it sounds. i dont know.

just for clarification since launch they have added one ground map, and taken away one space map (no one knows where that map went). they have improved the queue system and every buff and nerf to ships and powers was almost certainly as a result of the pvp crowed calls for balance rather than the pve crowed (honestly have you ever heard one person say a ship or skill is too powerful for pve?). so i would not say its been 100% ignored, but its been pretty close.

starfleet academy (which will be more than just a social zone as they do plan to add content there) screams pvp to me. i think they would be fantastic maps to add to pvp. as would the first city on qo'nos.

perhaps it really is just more time consuming than we imagine, because if it was that easy i cant think why they would not have added a few maps, even if its just for cosmetics.