Lt. Commander
# 11
08-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spond View Post
I appreciate the topic but it is starting to bother me the more I think about this issue. When you get a new ship, you receive more weapon slots, better engine performance, and better shield performance. You also receive a hull boost; pending the type of ship.

So, in essence, you get a higher performing “warp core” every time you level up and get a higher tier ship. At most, maybe, you should be able to have a “universal” tier warp core to place in lower level ships. Why one would do that with all the other performance gaps handicapping said lower tier ship is difficult to answer.

I guess what I’m saying is; you get a better warp core as you level. Just because it is not in a specific slot doesn’t mean it’s not happening.
Well, this aspect could be removed. Instead of just getting the existing improvements for free, you need to get the equipment (but of course, your ship comes pre-equipped with something useful when you buy it).

This could have even been a way to make lower tier ships longer viable. If more stats where derived from "Mark" equipment, a Nova Class Science Vessel might still be somewhat comparable to a Long Range Science Vessel Retrofit - certainly not as strong, but strong enough to feel comfortable with it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-05-2011, 03:45 PM
K, but plunking in a Sovereign or Galaxy warp core into a Miranda, Nova, Defiant….. would be ridicules. That was what I was trying to get across. This idea works until you need to engineer the restrictive logic to place it in a game.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Quote:
I appreciate the topic but it is starting to bother me the more I think about this issue. When you get a new ship, you receive more weapon slots, better engine performance, and better shield performance. You also receive a hull boost; pending the type of ship.

So, in essence, you get a higher performing “warp core” every time you level up and get a higher tier ship. At most, maybe, you should be able to have a “universal” tier warp core to place in lower level ships. Why one would do that with all the other performance gaps handicapping said lower tier ship is difficult to answer.

I guess what I’m saying is; you get a better warp core as you level. Just because it is not in a specific slot doesn’t mean it’s not happening.
New ships also come with a MK of equipment of the tier they belong to, so they could just provide a white MK # warp core as well.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-08-2011, 02:31 PM
as equipment that woulsd be a cool idea and i alos liek the idea of warp core eject you could verry posibly win a battle with that of course it would severely cripple your ship but thats an awesome idea.....i know voyager had an "organic warp core' or somthing like that as apposed to the standard so there is difernt types just liek sheilds and engines
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Flying through space without a Warp Core. seems kind of strange to me.

Besides what is a starship without a Warp core?
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Quote:
K, but plunking in a Sovereign or Galaxy warp core into a Miranda, Nova, Defiant….. would be ridicules. That was what I was trying to get across. This idea works until you need to engineer the restrictive logic to place it in a game.
So plunking a galaxy class size warp core in a tiny ship with lots of weapons wouldnt be riduclous? Pretty sure its called a defiant. Id rather see the warp cores remove the penalties on lower tiered ships as a benfit.

If you put a MK X shield in a T5 ship it gets full benfit but if you put it in a T1 it gets seriously nerfed. Same with boff powers a EptS1 on a T5 is far stronger then same thing on a T1. I think if you put a Mk X warp core into a NX class it should negate those penalties. Wont make the T1 much more useable at endgame but it might do wonders for some other ships.

Toss in a + to power levels and i think that would make the warpcores rather good equipment. Sadly even if a warp core gave 4/4 weapon slots T1 ships dont have enough hardpoints to use those. We badly need a hull armor slot instead of consoles.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-09-2011, 03:24 PM
There has been a suggestion for a process by which lower tiers can be upgraded to a higher tier which involved a Warp Core. In a nutshell, as your Warp Core provided you with more power, you could trade out some of your crew and recovery abilities for more weapons and shielding, within the limitations of the space available on your ship.

The thing about it is, as other have mentioned, that since Tiers are related to your level, you'll really just in essense get two Warp Cores per Tier. You won't ever have a MK 1 Warp Core in a Galaxy, and a Mk X Warp Core won't do you much good in a TOS Connie.

Tier 1 = Mk I & II
Tier 2 = Mk III & IV
Tier 3 = Mk V & VI
Tier 4 = Mk VII & VIII
Tier 5 = Mk IX, X, XI & XII

While you can carry your weapons and other equipment over from your last ship, what is really the point of carrying over the Warp Core? Technically speaking, it shouldn't even FIT, the Warp Core should be specific to a class of starship. So at best you'd be able to get one upgrade to your "ship's power", whatever that means, when you can get hold of the "even" level core instead of the "odd" one your ship comes with.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JToney3449 View Post
If you put a MK X shield in a T5 ship it gets full benfit but if you put it in a T1 it gets seriously nerfed.
This is a common misperception, but it is not true. Put simply, the problem is not that the Mk X shield is nerfed on a Tier 1, it is that the Tier 1 ship CAN'T MAKE FULL USE of the Mk X shiield.

The problem is that all ships over Tier 2 make use of three levels of skills. Starship Command, <Ship Class> Captain, and a skill specific to that ship. Plus 50% of all skills between Tier 2 and the ship's actual Tier. So a Tier 1 or Tier 2 ship is severely crippled when it comes to Command skill. At best it is only 48% of what you can get at Tier 3 or higher.

This effects your ship systems because all ship systems are effected by your Command skill. Shield strength, hull points, manueverability and I think even weapon damage are effected. So it's actually not that Mk X systems are nerfed, it's that you are no longer getting the bonus you are entitled to as a VA, because the ship won't give it to you.

Quote:
Same with boff powers a EptS1 on a T5 is far stronger then same thing on a T1. I think if you put a Mk X warp core into a NX class it should negate those penalties. Wont make the T1 much more useable at endgame but it might do wonders for some other ships.
Again, as far as I know, this isn't the case. An Ensign level BO power on a T1 ship will do exactly the same thing a BO power on a T5 ship will do. It's just the T1 ship gets 3 BO powers, all of them Ensign level, while the T5 ship gets 12 BO powers, at Commander, Lt. Commander, Lieutenant AND Ensign levels.

Again, it's not that having a low Tier ship weakens those abilities, it is that in a low Tier ship, you are not allowed to use all of the abilities that you are "entitled" to as a VA. Honestly speaking, while a higher power Warp Core might make sense in boosting your ship's systems, due to your higher skills, I can't explain how having a better Warp Core will let you use MORE of your Bridge Officers' abilities. But perhaps that could be related to a similar Mark system for your bridge module. (So you would put a Mk X bridge module in a ship to get a Tier 5 BO layout)
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-09-2011, 04:28 PM
personally i love the idea. but why not let them autoscale but give them different abilities. Say a bonus to science
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayyde
This is a common misperception, but it is not true. Put simply, the problem is not that the Mk X shield is nerfed on a Tier 1, it is that the Tier 1 ship CAN'T MAKE FULL USE of the Mk X shiield.

The problem is that all ships over Tier 2 make use of three levels of skills. Starship Command, <Ship Class> Captain, and a skill specific to that ship. Plus 50% of all skills between Tier 2 and the ship's actual Tier. So a Tier 1 or Tier 2 ship is severely crippled when it comes to Command skill. At best it is only 48% of what you can get at Tier 3 or higher.

This effects your ship systems because all ship systems are effected by your Command skill. Shield strength, hull points, manueverability and I think even weapon damage are effected. So it's actually not that Mk X systems are nerfed, it's that you are no longer getting the bonus you are entitled to as a VA, because the ship won't give it to you.

Again, as far as I know, this isn't the case. An Ensign level BO power on a T1 ship will do exactly the same thing a BO power on a T5 ship will do. It's just the T1 ship gets 3 BO powers, all of them Ensign level, while the T5 ship gets 12 BO powers, at Commander, Lt. Commander, Lieutenant AND Ensign levels.

Again, it's not that having a low Tier ship weakens those abilities, it is that in a low Tier ship, you are not allowed to use all of the abilities that you are "entitled" to as a VA. Honestly speaking, while a higher power Warp Core might make sense in boosting your ship's systems, due to your higher skills, I can't explain how having a better Warp Core will let you use MORE of your Bridge Officers' abilities. But perhaps that could be related to a similar Mark system for your bridge module. (So you would put a Mk X bridge module in a ship to get a Tier 5 BO layout)
*sigh* ya i know all that, i just dont feel like typing all that junk out. And having a more powerful warp core would allow a ship to in all likelyhood make better use of the boff skills and subsystems as it would have more power.

Its easier to understand that a NX class warp core simply cant produce enough power to charge the shield emitters to full but a MK X warp core in an NX class wouldnt have that problem. And a higher warp core would probibly allow for channeling of power faster so Boff abilities like emergancy power to shields would be more effective then with the normal NX core.