Lt. Commander
# 11
07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
This was asked about even before Beta and the Dev's said "no", so nice as it would be... *shrugs*
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-30-2011, 09:58 AM
I run maps and web browser in the second monitor its not perfect but its close enough to get the effect.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipher
I run maps and web browser in the second monitor its not perfect but its close enough to get the effect.
I personally have my gaming PC plugged into both of my 24" monitors, then another PC I use as a browser/media player plugged into the second of the two. I usually have it up with a browser or movie while playing on the first monitor.

Another possibility, outside of the client supporting a second monitor for utility, would be for them to have the ability to slave a second client (a different one entirely) to the main game client. This would then run seperately to the first, but send/receive information from the actual game client allowing the display of maps and chat etc. An old game called Uplink had a similar feature, although it was limited to a seperate PC showing the second screen.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-11-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm hoping for a game client, software solution. It can and has been done. It has been done. I can name a few games that do it all ready. I don't know if naming them is a volition of the rules. I'll error on the side of causal for now.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-11-2011, 06:20 PM
If you put the game into window mode you can drag it to increase the width into the second monitor. Unfortunately since your character/ship is always set in the center then it won't look too good, but its close enough for now lol
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-11-2011, 07:42 PM
I would so be up for some viewporting options to dictate the "center" of the screen, just for this! I used to do this in World of ******** on my two monitors. I'd have some of the hud elemts displayed on the left monitor while the game play screen was viewported on my main monitor.

I have an old SS somewhere... ah here it is. (note, this was years ago when I had two small 19" monitors and my guy was a newb. I do not play WoW anymore, thank the gods.).

I would absolutely love to be able to do this again, just with STO.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-11-2011, 10:26 PM
I run STO across three monitors at a resolution of 6010 by 1080 using nvidia surround. To be honest STO dosnt realy suffer all that much for doing so. To make the experiance perfect all we need is for the devs to give us an unlock interface button in the menu so we can drag everything to where we want it, then lock it again and some more flexable fov settings.

Honestly though in its current state STO isnt just playable on three monitors, but better on three, unlike many games which you can boot up at an extra wide resolution but wouldnt want to play that way.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcc42 View Post
I run STO across three monitors at a resolution of 6010 by 1080 using nvidia surround. To be honest STO dosnt realy suffer all that much for doing so. To make the experiance perfect all we need is for the devs to give us an unlock interface button in the menu so we can drag everything to where we want it, then lock it again and some more flexable fov settings.

Honestly though in its current state STO isnt just playable on three monitors, but better on three, unlike many games which you can boot up at an extra wide resolution but wouldnt want to play that way.
Do you need a special video card to do this? I have ATI but I remember seeing that this was also possible with ATI's. I just couldn't find how to do it and whether a specific type of video card was needed.

Update: Eyefinity is what the ati 3-display set up is called. I guess i would at least need a video card with 3 ports. Mine only has 2. Scratch that, I see I do have 3, VGA, DVI and HMDI.

Browsing the eyefinity site now, looks like they have updated it with more information since I was here last. Assimilating... Looks like I need an adapter for the HDMI port to hook up a 3rd monitor.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcc42 View Post

Ok, as it happens we actualy have a rearange hud button already... all this time ive been straining my neck looking left and right when i could have used that... Oh and I have thought of one other problem with three monitors, in character select it places your character directly behind a bazel... but that only affects you for the 10 seconds it takes to chose your character and log in so no real problem there.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zebular
Do you need a special video card to do this? I have ATI but I remember seeing that this was also possible with ATI's. I just couldn't find how to do it and whether a specific type of video card was needed.
Running three monitors isnt too dificult any more, either with nVidia or AMD/ATI. But I wouldnt recomend doing it with a card more then a couple of generations old as running on three screens means rendering and filtering 3 times as many pixels, which can be hard work for your gpu if you dont want to drop your graphics settings.

If you use the AMD/ATI solution its posible to run three monitors off one card, but you need a card with two DVI out ports and one HDMI out, and a small adaptor to turn that into another DVI for the third monitor.

If you go with nVidia you need to use two cards running in SLI. But to be honest i would recomend two cards with AMD/ATI as well just because your going to need the extra hourspower to run games on high settings at a decent resolution.

Personaly I use three Geforce 580 3GB cards, but you could get performance thats almost as good with two mid level cards of the current generation at far less cost. One thing to remember though when selecting a card for three monitors is that your going to need more v-ram then you would normaly, so when choosing between on card ram and clockspeed go with the RAM.