Lt. Commander
# 631
08-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
If I was Kim I'd be somewhat bummed. 7 years exploring the Delta Quadrant and 20 years later all they give me is command of a little Rhode Island? You'd think he'd be in command of his own Intrepid. He must have really screwed up in those intervening years somewhere.
Well, considering that a regular Nova with a skeleton crew and damaged to all get out gave Janeway's bunch a run for thier money, I'd consider the R.I. an upgrade.
Lt. Commander
# 632
08-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
Regarding the Rhode Island in Endgame, it took on two Negh'vars, nobody said it had a snowball's chance in hell of winning. If I went out and took on Mike Tyson, would I by default become as tough as Mike Tyson, or would I perhaps just be... stupid? The Enterprise C "took on" rather a lot of warbirds. Nobody'd ever suggest the Ambasssador class was actually up to that task though, but those were the odds they had and the orders they were given. This does not equate to capability. In fact, all it shows is the braveness of the Captain and their crew in taking on really long odds.

Quick question, is there any downside to the Rhode Island over the regular Nova to pay for the ability so to speak?
So basically you saying that ship in the that episode was on suicide run ? having server in the military I know of no officer or non-commissioned officer that would would so blindly sacrifice those under there command and follow such an order the UCMJ even has provisions against such orders. it be more likely that the ship was doing a Delaying tactic till help came. or they had some type of advantage in speed and handling to use hit run tactics.
Lt. Commander
# 633
08-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STO_Mac
So basically you saying that ship in the that episode was on suicide run ? having server in the military I know of no officer or non-commissioned officer that would would so blindly sacrifice those under there command and follow such an order the UCMJ even has provisions against such orders. it be more likely that the ship was doing a Delaying tactic till help came. or they had some type of advantage in speed and handling to use hit run tactics.
Thermopolae, Rorke's Drift, The Alamo, and Kamikaze pilots all spring to mind. People in history have taken on really, really long odds sometimes. Some longer than others admittedly, but on occasion it happens. That's why medals like the Victoria Cross and Medal of Honour exist. But that level of bravery sometimes does happen. As for wether or not that sort of thing could happen in Star Trek, "Yesterday's Enterprise" would seem to answer that. Though I think we're going a bit off topic now, I still don't see how the Rhode Island could go up against a pair of Negh'vars and expect to come out on top.
Lt. Commander
# 634
08-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Not exactly sure how a ship that is on screen about 1 minute in 32,000 Star Trek episode minutes became such a huge "fan favorite." People must have liked Kim more then anyone thought.
It's nothing about the ships abilities for me, I just love the aesthetics of this specific type of ship. Though most of the parts I prefer the original Nova looks for.

Though planetary landing is a handy ability... >.>
Lt. Commander
# 635
08-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremor
The Rhode Island should stay at Tier 2...

because Tier 5 is reserved for the Rhode Island-X Class Science Dreadnought!

Boasting epic 6 nacelle design!

Battle Cloak, Spinal Phaser Lance, MVAM and many more desired features!

*giggles* :p
You forgot about the part that it will cost 10,000 AT or to get 5 buddies to upgrade to LTS.
Lt. Commander
# 636
08-09-2011, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
Well I've just had a look at it, and boy is it time to feedback.
Put your feedback here as well: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=227149
That's the thread the devs are primarily looking at.

Quote:
As for the console itself, this isn't so bad as I thought, although a 2 minute cooldown does seem a bit small. The ammount of time you're decoyed for would basicly allow a ship to be back at full health by the time it was undecoyed in PVP. This every 2 minutes would be unbalancing.
I think it is actually a 3 minute cooldown, but the way the cooldown displays works is that it starts to "round" the cooldown, so you usually only see 2, while it's actually 2:59 or something like that. (It stops rounding the remaining cooldown at some point, but I don't know when exactly. I think it is even before 1:00).

Quote:
Especially if several ships on the opposing side had it. To say nothing of it being yet another Fed exlusive advantage.
Of course, the promise is, at some point, the KDF will get this item as well. And there will be more ships like this (with extra BO slots). And there will be an in-game method of acquiring them! Soon (TM). Not sure if that's before or after new PvP content, the Duty Officer system, Exploration Revamp, Andorian Ship or the KLingon Flagship. So it's just unbalanced and Pay-To-Win for a few weeks, months or something like that. So if we just unsubscribe for the meantime, we should be fine.
Lt. Commander
# 637
08-09-2011, 02:29 AM
Quote:
If I was Kim I'd be somewhat bummed. 7 years exploring the Delta Quadrant and 20 years later all they give me is command of a little Rhode Island? You'd think he'd be in command of his own Intrepid. He must have really screwed up in those intervening years somewhere.
I wouldnt be "bummed" since the Nova isnt a worst ship then the Intrepit.
Remember that the Nova was designed to BE the Enterprise E originally!!

Quote:
Well actually that happens now and then, just look at the Enterprise C. But even that circumstances... remember that Harrys crew didnt even KNOW whats going on. Kim would be a very bad Captain if he sacreficed his whole Crew under that circumstances.
And still... The whole point was to keep the Negh'Vas busy so they couldnt attack Janeways shulte, and they actually had success with it. So that battle OBVIOUSLY took longer than this 2 shots we saw.
Tell me ANY t5 STO ship that could do that = protecting a shutlecraft against 2 Klingon Cruisers.
Lt. Commander
# 638
08-09-2011, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Being aware that his current form of existence was to be wiped out by a temporal "reset button" has let Harry Kim commit "suicide" on at least one occasion before in "Timeless".
So he did not do it blindly because he knew what was going to happen as a result would undo it.
Lt. Commander
# 639
08-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
I wouldnt be "bummed" since the Nova isnt a worst ship then the Intrepit.
Remember that the Nova was designed to BE the Enterprise E originally!!
Not exactly accurate. It was a design the production crew thought about using for the new E but then decided to shrink it and make it more Intrepid-like. That has nothing to do with Starfleet's intentions: there was no way they'd consider making an 80-person ship the new Flagship of the Federation.
Lt. Commander
# 640
08-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Quick....look at the Calender!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!