Lt. Commander
# 31
07-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
You people need to calm down.

First, the editor was still turned off anyway, so they only disabled PLAYING missions.

Second, look who wrote that: 2Crypticops, that is the generic "dev account" that the nightime guys who monitor things use sometimes to post notices.

Third, look at the time: thats 4AM Cryptic time.

Obviously, during the maintenance/patch something was botched in relation to the Foundry and the maintenance guys had to turn if off emergency-like. They are NOT devs and thus can't tell you specific thinga.

Once the guys get in and discover the issue, they'll give us the info.

Relax yourselves.

Edit: Also a crash bug on Holodeck as well, so, you know, priorities.
No, you just don't get it. Many missions are currently broken (disabled again as of today) and the editor has been offline for almost three weeks. It's not as if they have been "out of the office" for three weeks. They've had plenty of time to fill us in - unless they've left the Foundry issue for three weeks. While I do appreciate that you're correct (To an extent), this isn't a new problem anymore - it's been three weeks.
Lt. Commander
# 32
07-28-2011, 10:29 AM
They've said plenty, and opened a thread to get a list of missions that must be manually rolled back. Have you SEEN how large the list is?

And nevermind that the Foundry is still IN BETA. Its easy to forget that since its worked so well for so long, but they're hardly done with it, and being a BETA you can expect things like this to happen.
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
They've said plenty, and opened a thread to get a list of missions that must be manually rolled back. Have you SEEN how large the list is?

And nevermind that the Foundry is still IN BETA. Its easy to forget that since its worked so well for so long, but they're hardly done with it, and being a BETA you can expect things like this to happen.
While it is very much true that the Foundry is still in Beta, it is now an important part of Star Trek Online. The Devs don't seem to have said much pertaining to the issues with the Foundry. We have been told a) that it is broken and b) that they are trying to fix the Foundry. We have recieved no estimate of the Foundry's return or information regarding the extent to which it is broken. The extent of the list of missions which are broken only goes to show how important the UGC is to STO.

It is also true that features which are still in Beta are expected to have serious flaws and downtimes - information and frequent updates are also expected of the game developers, alongside the downtime and flaws.
Lt. Commander
# 34
07-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Here's the catch 22. If Cryptic did as you asked and gave details on whats happening, how they are fixing it, status reports, etc, they would never get done fixing it. They've stated this many times over; adding all this detail just adds way to much overhead for their devs.

So do you want to get more detail and double (or more) the time it takes to repair/fix the issue or would you like the issue to be fixed as quickly as possible?
Lt. Commander
# 35
07-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix
Here's the catch 22. If Cryptic did as you asked and gave details on whats happening, how they are fixing it, status reports, etc, they would never get done fixing it. They've stated this many times over; adding all this detail just adds way to much overhead for their devs.

So do you want to get more detail and double (or more) the time it takes to repair/fix the issue or would you like the issue to be fixed as quickly as possible?
No... To make a forum post with a few sentences is not a particularly strenuous or time-consuming task in my eyes. They've had three weeks to do it...
Lt. Commander
# 36
07-28-2011, 10:51 AM
/facepalm

'Nuff said.
Lt. Commander
# 37
07-28-2011, 11:21 AM
so, if the foundry is down, why can i still see and play missions?
Lt. Commander
# 38
07-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Last time I checked in the Foundry was humming along perfectly. Wha happa?
Lt. Commander
# 39
07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
I wonder if Cryptic would be as closed lipped about this if it was a different system that was broken. I wonder if we would just be getting these ASAP messages for 3 weeks if the featured episodes were turned off. Or if the entire Romulan sector missions were messed up.
Lt. Commander
# 40
07-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
unless a statement like that is coming out thinking on such terms is speculation and not common. nice try to give this company a pass. Their lack of communication and clear understanding of how to communicate with paying customers is their main problem
Of course what I said was speculation... I have no idea what they are doing and neither does anyone else. I said it COULD be because they are rolling things back the way they said they would on Saturday.

But I'm not giving them a pass. Frankly I think 3 weeks is an unacceptable turnaround time for something like this.

On the communication front, its not that Cryptic doesn't communicate. How many new entries are there in the dev tracker each day? a dozen on average? CapnLogan posts constantly (cause he's awesome!) The problem is that they don't communicate well on Foundry issues. We get few if any dev responses in the Foundry forums. We aren't told what is going on in any detail. Timelines for fixes fall by the wayside routinely. When updates are made half the time they aren't even announced or put in patch notes ("props" update anyone?)

I don't know how the other authors feel, but I LOVE this tool, it basically lets me write my own Star Trek episodes for everyone to enjoy. And I want to like Cryptic, I really do, but right now I feel ignored.