Lt. Commander
# 51
07-28-2011, 06:13 PM
I may be wrong, but it was my understanding that STO was Cryptics first attempt at an MMO, as well as the only attempt at a Star Trek MMO that even made it out of the gate, so to be honest I'm not going to get all annoyed about there being bugs when they patch or add a new season. I'm really just happy that there is finally a Star Trek MMO in existence at all. I'll admit I'm not happy that the Foundry is down, since I resubbed mainly to try it out, but having started playing again I remember why I bought the game in the first place and why I love it. The fact that Cryptic doesn't charge extra for every new season's content is even more reason not to complain every time a bug pops up. I played WoW for years and finally quit because I was tired of having to pay an arm and a leg every time they added something new to the game. STO isn't perfect, but Cryptic has done a damn good job on it and when you think about it STO is a very complicated game and the only one (only MMO, that is) I know of that has 3rd person "hack and slash/shooter" elements, a ship to ship space battle system AND a built in mission editor. I find it a lot of fun and even though I am disappointed the Foundry is down at the moment, they're working to resolve the issues and the down time gives mission creators time to think up more plots and dialogue. Personally, I don't think the guys at Cryptic get even half the credit they deserve, try to focus on the amazing things they have managed to do and not on the bugs that happen to crop up as they're doing them. That said, hopefully they will have the Foundry issues resolved soon.

Wow...that was a lot more long winded than I intended it to be...
Lt. Commander
# 52
07-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post

Are the Devs remaining completely silent on the situation in the last three weeks? Hardly.
You do realize you have done more to consolidated this information in one place to make it make it simple for the customer to find in one post than Cryptic has three weeks?
Lt. Commander
# 53
07-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
You do realize you have done more to consolidated this information in one place to make it make it simple for the customer to find in one post than Cryptic has three weeks?
Honestly, it took me less than 10 minutes (The Dev Tracker can be your friend). Personally, I'd rather have the Devs actually fixing issues then trying to consolidate all posts on a subjet in one post. Again, the Dev tracker is there, and hell, click on the Devs name - click "Find all Posts" and you can see every post a Dev has made in a nice date ordered list (Newest posts on top.)

But, the Dev tracker works. and can give you a lot of 'from the horses mouth' info, of you take a littke time to use it.
Lt. Commander
# 54
07-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XerosArmera
I may be wrong, but it was my understanding that STO was Cryptics first attempt at an MMO, as well as the only attempt at a Star Trek MMO that even made it out of the gate, so to be honest I'm not going to get all annoyed about there being bugs when they patch or add a new season. I'm really just happy that there is finally a Star Trek MMO in existence at all. I'll admit I'm not happy that the Foundry is down, since I resubbed mainly to try it out, but having started playing again I remember why I bought the game in the first place and why I love it. The fact that Cryptic doesn't charge extra for every new season's content is even more reason not to complain every time a bug pops up. I played WoW for years and finally quit because I was tired of having to pay an arm and a leg every time they added something new to the game. STO isn't perfect, but Cryptic has done a damn good job on it and when you think about it STO is a very complicated game and the only one (only MMO, that is) I know of that has 3rd person "hack and slash/shooter" elements, a ship to ship space battle system AND a built in mission editor. I find it a lot of fun and even though I am disappointed the Foundry is down at the moment, they're working to resolve the issues and the down time gives mission creators time to think up more plots and dialogue. Personally, I don't think the guys at Cryptic get even half the credit they deserve, try to focus on the amazing things they have managed to do and not on the bugs that happen to crop up as they're doing them. That said, hopefully they will have the Foundry issues resolved soon.

Wow...that was a lot more long winded than I intended it to be...
Actually, Cryptic has been making MMO's for a very long time. I think this is where most peoples irritation comes from. STO is there third MMO, to be exact, preceded by City of Heroes/Villains (which they no longer own) and Champions Online, which is still up and running. Because they have this much experience in the field of MMO's, it is a bit ridiculous that they can't manage to release a single piece of content without it being bugged half way to hell.

Yes, the fact that they release the content for free is amazing. It's not something you see very much anymore. They offset that by having the micro transaction system, which I think is genius because they way it's designed, none of the content is required to play well in the game. That way people don't feel like they are being forced to buy anything and in the end, end up buying more.

But in the end, the problem is this: With so many years of experience in the field, a company should be able to release content without it screwing up everything else. And if something does get messed up, it shouldn't take them a month (quite literally, in this case) to get it back up and running. I feel a little cheated out of my money, to be honest. Oh, and it wouldn't even be a problem if it was a bug here and there. It's the fact that it's every single patch. Season 4 hasn't released a single bit of content that has worked correctly from the start, or if it has worked, hasn't screwed up something else that WAS working correctly.

So there's my two bits on the subject. Cryptic needs to get there stuff figured out, because this IS getting ridiculous.
Lt. Commander
# 55
07-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Honestly, it took me less than 10 minutes (The Dev Tracker can be your friend). Personally, I'd rather have the Devs actually fixing issues then trying to consolidate all posts on a subjet in one post. Again, the Dev tracker is there, and hell, click on the Devs name - click "Find all Posts" and you can see every post a Dev has made in a nice date ordered list (Newest posts on top.)

But, the Dev tracker works. and can give you a lot of 'from the horses mouth' info, of you take a littke time to use it.
My mistake, I thought these people worked for us.

And my point was it took you less then ten minutes, but they can't have an intern do that? Or the real big thing Stahl goes out and does an interview where he explains the ins and out of the problem with the foundry in about a minute. Clear and to the point. But they can't put a sticky up in the foundry sub forum saying the same thing. Yes this info is all out there, but I think when this many people feel Cryptic isn't saying enough about what is going on then it is obvious they could be doing better at getting this information to the player base.

This line about Devs wasting time with forum posts rather then fixing the problem is a hollow argument. Stahl can take five minutes out of his day and dictate to a receptionist the overall issue and why it's taking so long to fix, she can email that to a forum rep, who can then post it in the foundry thread. Then they would have put out two thirds of the complaints right there.
Lt. Commander
# 56
07-29-2011, 12:57 AM
Keep in mind, not veryone who plays visits the forums regularly or is forum-savvy. Many won't go through the trouble of looking through pages of threads to find an answer to an issue they're having. I've seen, if not responded to, at least 4 new threads in the past 2 days everywhere from the SFA threads to the Foundry threads from players returning to the game that had no idea what was going on. And they noted, part of the reason they were returning-was the foundry.
The community has been great about giving each other a heads-up on what's going on, from day one. And that's awesome. But when I get a tweet from StarbaseUGC about how the editor might be live tomorrow, my first thought is-whopeee! And my 2nd is-why isn't a dev tweeting this? Who am I not following?
We live in the age of drive-through liqouor stores and Netflix, convenience is king and we as a society are use to having things handed to us in a nice, neat package-espescially information.
Don't get me wrong, this is a 2way street, it's just as easy for a subscriber to follow devs on twitter and use the dev tracker and search threads, but at the end of the day most people expect the company to take the responsibility of making certain information easily accessible to all (not just forum-goers, we also have a shiny new in-game bulletin system).
It's like if your roofer didn't nail all the shingles down-you'd expect him to tell you, you probably would think less of him if you had to inspect the roof and find out yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 57
07-29-2011, 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galtrovan View Post
Same here, although my main feature is Fleet Actions. I hate Season 4 with a passion. Everything is broken, bugged, and/or imbalanced and recent patches, although I've not tried the latest, have only made things worse. I really want to get back to playing, but with everything as it is, and following the feedback and bug forums, I refuse to even log into the game. I really don't know what to do at this point, other than wait, and pray things change.
Your not alone...
Lt. Commander
# 58
07-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwize1701 View Post
I hate season 4 also. I haven't logged in to STO in...2 weeks? 3? Something like that.

I'm just like you, I continue browsing the forums to see what's going on, and it honestly appears that nothing has gotten better. It took until yesterday (or the day before) for Cryptic to fix the UI power changing bug that's been out since S4 released. You'd think that would have come out the very next day, right?

Both my wife and I have LTS, so we'll (probably) be back in the future sometime, but we just bought the Rift box set and subbed there for now. STO is floundering around like a fish out of water, and Cryptic doesn't seem to know quite what to do. Their game continues to lie in a broken state while they're doing things like the E-F. Don't get me wrong, the E-F looks awesome, but if only Cryptic could put that much energy into, oh I don't know, making sure their game worked properly, then we could have a real powerhouse here.

But what we got was an inherently broken game with a few shiny thingies instead. And it makes me sad.
Stop telling the truth...thats against the rules Now fork over another payment and deal with it!!
Lt. Commander
# 59
07-29-2011, 09:12 AM
and what if this last pulling of the foundry was to input all the fixes they have planned for the foundry and trhey didn't want anyone messing with it until all of the patches were in place and tested.

It MMO is only 17 months old and is already 100% better that when it was first released and season 4 was the biggest add-on to STO they ever tried.

Which was to fix ground combat. Which you have been complaining about for months on end.

But, no it is still not enough for you and that they didn't find all the bugs and that miscommunicatons between the NW foundry programers and the STO foundry programmers added to this mess and caused this Foundry mess.

You are unwilling to let them have the time or have the peace of mind to do the need work to fic this mess.

Boy oh boy you gamer/players can really be a piece of work.

If I was working on the foundry. I would take all the time in the world to fix it and let you blow hards keep yelling in the wind.
Lt. Commander
# 60
07-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPHAOMEGA1500
and what if this last pulling of the foundry was to input all the fixes they have planned for the foundry and trhey didn't want anyone messing with it until all of the patches were in place and tested.

It MMO is only 17 months old and is already 100% better that when it was first released and season 4 was the biggest add-on to STO they ever tried.

Which was to fix ground combat. Which you have been complaining about for months on end.

But, no it is still not enough for you and that they didn't find all the bugs and that miscommunicatons between the NW foundry programers and the STO foundry programmers added to this mess and caused this Foundry mess.

You are unwilling to let them have the time or have the peace of mind to do the need work to fic this mess.

Boy oh boy you gamer/players can really be a piece of work.

If I was working on the foundry. I would take all the time in the world to fix it and let you blow hards keep yelling in the wind.

Holier than thou, eh?

Some of us have been paying for the last 17 months...so what? spending 250$ on a game that isn't functioning properly, that renegs on content for higher-level players, tries to pass the foundry off as content replacement and even THAT doesn't work..... Yeah your right....as paying customers we have absolutely no right to complain in a thread where the devs probably aren't listening to us anyway.

Good Day