Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 61
07-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPHAOMEGA1500
You are unwilling to let them have the time or have the peace of mind to do the need work to fic this mess. Boy oh boy you gamer/players can really be a piece of work..
Give them time to fix something is one thing. From what I'm hearing the foundry is the only thing keeping some people logging in at all. We are at the end of the month. This is when people are going to start thinking about taking their money elsewhere because I large part of their game is broken.

It's not our fault they had people build the foundry in STO and then shipped them off to go work on another game. I applaud the effort they are taking to manually restore all the missions from back ups so the authors don't lose missions they have already made. But that time you say the need is time they are expecting people to pay money for a broken game. They are going to lose subs over this and that's just paying for the internal mistakes that led to the foundry being broken by season 4.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 62
07-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
Give them time to fix something is one thing. From what I'm hearing the foundry is the only thing keeping some people logging in at all. We are at the end of the month. This is when people are going to start thinking about taking their money elsewhere because I large part of their game is broken.

It's not our fault they had people build the foundry in STO and then shipped them off to go work on another game. I applaud the effort they are taking to manually restore all the missions from back ups so the authors don't lose missions they have already made. But that time you say the need is time they are expecting people to pay money for a broken game. They are going to lose subs over this and that's just paying for the internal mistakes that led to the foundry being broken by season 4.
^^^
I'm sure they are indeed aware of all this. The probelem is - the Foundry is broken, and they are doing what is needed to fix it. I kind of doubt it's all restored and fixed, and they're keeping it offline just to **** players off. They THOUGHT it was working okay, and that they had fully tested it prior to doing nthe Season republish. Obviously, they missed something major and are working as fa=st as they can to resolve said problem. In fact, I'd say overall many people behind the scenes are more upset about this then we are, as it DOES cost them subs (and money) in the long run, and they know this.

All that said, turning it back on is a broken state isn't going to do anyone any good. In the end, they'll turn it on when they believe they have fixed the issues it developed after the launch of the Season 4 update. there's really nothing more they can do.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 63
07-30-2011, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPHAOMEGA1500

You are unwilling to let them have the time or have the peace of mind to do the need work to fic this mess.

Boy oh boy you gamer/players can really be a piece of work.

If I was working on the foundry. I would take all the time in the world to fix it and let you blow hards keep yelling in the wind.
Do you know, the more I read your posts all over, the more I think your really wanting STO to fail? Do you pay for STO or have they given you a free pass or something? Gamer/player can really be a piece of work? Yep, when I pay for something and I am not getting it then yes I can be a peice of work.

If you went to Pizza hut and they only gave you half a pizza,but said the problem is that a part of their stove is not working so you cannot have a full one, would you complain or accept it if they said it will be working tomorrow?

I am not willing to let them have time for anything, as they have had way too much time but they are still playing on the people like yourself who accept anything that Cryptic does.

I don't even like the Foundry, but I read that plenty do and plenty like to write them and produce them. The foundry forums are alight with missions that people love or hate, so to tell them to wait or to tell them they are a peice of work is... Well I am sure you can work it out.

I take it your feeling the same about those who want more Klingon stuff, PVP, Content, they are all a peice of work?

When you put it all together you realise just how big the problem is for Cryptic and that they may have bitten off more than they can chew.

I truely think they didn't understand the ST IP and it's fanbase and instead made a, well what we have now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 64
07-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
Do you know, the more I read your posts all over, the more I think your really wanting STO to fail? Do you pay for STO or have they given you a free pass or something? Gamer/player can really be a piece of work? Yep, when I pay for something and I am not getting it then yes I can be a peice of work.

If you went to Pizza hut and they only gave you half a pizza,but said the problem is that a part of their stove is not working so you cannot have a full one, would you complain or accept it if they said it will be working tomorrow?

I am not willing to let them have time for anything, as they have had way too much time but they are still playing on the people like yourself who accept anything that Cryptic does.

I don't even like the Foundry, but I read that plenty do and plenty like to write them and produce them. The foundry forums are alight with missions that people love or hate, so to tell them to wait or to tell them they are a peice of work is... Well I am sure you can work it out.

I take it your feeling the same about those who want more Klingon stuff, PVP, Content, they are all a peice of work?

When you put it all together you realise just how big the problem is for Cryptic and that they may have bitten off more than they can chew.

I truely think they didn't understand the ST IP and it's fanbase and instead made a, well what we have now.
What exactly are you paying for that you're not getting? The game is up and running and they continue to add content free of any extra charge, which is uncommon for companies that make MMOs. The Foundry isn't the game, it's an extra that Cryptic came up with to add a different element to the whole experience. They didn't have to create the Foundry at all and frankly they have no obligation to keep it. It's an extra that they've added to make the experience of STO that much richer and fuller.

To borrow your Pizza Hut analogy, the Foundry is like free wings that they decided to throw in with the pizza. They may not be the greatest wings ever, but they were thrown in free as a nice little surprise, so I don't see how that means that everyone gets to complain. It wasn't part of STO when the game came out and the fact that it's down doesn't effect the rest of the game.

Also, if you don't even care about the Foundry, why are you bothering to post in this thread and rail against Cryptic. That just doesn't make sense to me. Unless you could produce a better game than STO flawlessly, completely bug free and with full Federation and Klingon content from day one than I really think you should ease up a little and realize what a difficult job the people at Cryptic have.

The Star Trek universe is absolutely massive and encompasses a ridiculous amount of lore. Trying to pack it all into a game, getting every little detail right so people like you won't bite their heads off, while still innovating and trying to continue the story forward is not an easy job. Occasionally things will go wrong, especially when dealing with the sheer volumes of content and information not to mention coding work that Cryptic is having to deal with here, and when things do go wrong I don't think saying "Cryptic don't understand what they're doing" and "They're letting the fans down" is really the way to go. If you really felt that way I doubt you'd be paying for STO and unless you could do better I think you need to just relax and enjoy all the content that Cryptic has provided you with and is continuing to provide you with, despite the fact that you seem to think what they have done so far is a disappointment.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 65
07-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
^^^
I'm sure they are indeed aware of all this. The probelem is - the Foundry is broken, and they are doing what is needed to fix it. I kind of doubt it's all restored and fixed, and they're keeping it offline just to **** players off. They THOUGHT it was working okay, and that they had fully tested it prior to doing nthe Season republish. Obviously, they missed something major and are working as fa=st as they can to resolve said problem. In fact, I'd say overall many people behind the scenes are more upset about this then we are, as it DOES cost them subs (and money) in the long run, and they know this.

All that said, turning it back on is a broken state isn't going to do anyone any good. In the end, they'll turn it on when they believe they have fixed the issues it developed after the launch of the Season 4 update. there's really nothing more they can do.
Well from what Dstahl said in his interview with that annoy british guy, the foundry is fixed right now. The problem is if they turned it on now all the author's missions would be lost, so they are doing a manual restore from the back ups of all the missions everyone already made.

I don't blame them for wanting to wait until every mission is restored. The fault I find is that I had to seek out a poorly done podcast to find that information out when they could have just explained the situation in the forums.

Also Stahl admits they did not fully test it on tribble they knew there was a problem, they had a guess of the cause and thought they could have a fix in place shortly after going live with season 4. It was only after applying that fix they realized that losing the whole foundry development team to Neverwinter was a bad thing as no one left really knew as much as they thought about how the foundry worked.

Really I'm just saying you they would have less rage on here if they made it clear with a simple forum post that the foundry fix is top priority and that they are working hard and taking time to make sure every author's mission will be intact. It's just a bad idea to make people have to hunt for information that might keep them from canceling their subscription.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 66
07-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XerosArmera
What exactly are you paying for that you're not getting? The game is up and running and they continue to add content free of any extra charge, which is uncommon for companies that make MMOs. The Foundry isn't the game, it's an extra that Cryptic came up with to add a different element to the whole experience. They didn't have to create the Foundry at all and frankly they have no obligation to keep it. It's an extra that they've added to make the experience of STO that much richer and fuller.
You could single out any bug in the game and use this as an excuse. Kerat isn't the game so the fact that it has been broken for a year and a half is not something you are allowed to complain about. There has been no new end game content in 15 months, but end game isn't the whole game so be quite. The thing is once you are done going down that list of broken of under developed things in the game you have listed the majority of the game. What percentage of the game has to be a disappointment before you call the whole game a disappointment. I like the game, I'm waiting for more content but I just think you had a flawed argument on this point.

Also it's a bit misleading saying the Foundry is just an extra. Really it's a stop gap measure to keep people happy because they knew there was going to be a content drought and so they used the player base making missions to keep the complaints down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XerosArmera
To borrow your Pizza Hut analogy, the Foundry is like free wings that they decided to throw in with the pizza. They may not be the greatest wings ever, but they were thrown in free as a nice little surprise, so I don't see how that means that everyone gets to complain. It wasn't part of STO when the game came out and the fact that it's down doesn't effect the rest of the game.
To beat a dead horse and keep this analogy going....You are dismissing the people who are only coming back for the wings yet still paying full price. The foundry is the only source for people to do anything new in a game that has been short on content since launch and hasn't done much to change that fact. There are many who don't see a reason to keep paying a sub if they have nothing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XerosArmera
.... and unless you could do better I think you need to just relax and enjoy all the content that Cryptic has provided you with and is continuing to provide you with, despite the fact that you seem to think what they have done so far is a disappointment.
To suggest you are not allowed to complain about a product you pay for because you can't make a better product on your own is the worst argument I have ever heard. We don't owe cryptic money. The money they get from us is in exchange for a service. When we are not happy with that service we have a right to complain.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 67
07-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
You could single out any bug in the game and use this as an excuse. Kerat isn't the game so the fact that it has been broken for a year and a half is not something you are allowed to complain about. There has been no new end game content in 15 months, but end game isn't the whole game so be quite. The thing is once you are done going down that list of broken of under developed things in the game you have listed the majority of the game. What percentage of the game has to be a disappointment before you call the whole game a disappointment. I like the game, I'm waiting for more content but I just think you had a flawed argument on this point.

Also it's a bit misleading saying the Foundry is just an extra. Really it's a stop gap measure to keep people happy because they knew there was going to be a content drought and so they used the player base making missions to keep the complaints down.



To beat a dead horse and keep this analogy going....You are dismissing the people who are only coming back for the wings yet still paying full price. The foundry is the only source for people to do anything new in a game that has been short on content since launch and hasn't done much to change that fact. There are many who don't see a reason to keep paying a sub if they have nothing to do.



To suggest you are not allowed to complain about a product you pay for because you can't make a better product on your own is the worst argument I have ever heard. We don't owe cryptic money. The money they get from us is in exchange for a service. When we are not happy with that service we have a right to complain.
Err, I know you didn't do it for me, but thanks. I couldn't have articulated it better.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 68
07-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Assistance.....is futile.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 69
07-31-2011, 04:57 PM
Question: Can't development of new missions be done on Tribble while the foundry on Holodeck is disabled?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 70
07-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Question: Can't development of new missions be done on Tribble while the foundry on Holodeck is disabled?
Yes, but missions made on Tribble, Stay on Tribble. The only way they can be moved over successfully, is if the author takes the time to recreate said missions on Holodeck. There is no import tool to import missions from the Tribble server, to the Holodeck server.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:58 PM.