Lt. Commander
# 1 Seriously? Facebook?
07-28-2011, 03:23 PM
There's a pretty awesome prize drawing on the first page for DVDs of every series and movie. But its on Facebook. I don't have a Facebook account (or any other "social site" account; no, I"m not going to risk Facebook or anybody else trying their damnedest to subversively datamine me), and won't get one.

Also, Star Trek is even on Face Book? Is CBS *trying* to pander to the lowest common denominator that the general population is?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
There's a pretty awesome prize drawing on the first page for DVDs of every series and movie. But its on Facebook. I don't have a Facebook account (or any other "social site" account; no, I"m not going to risk Facebook or anybody else trying their damnedest to subversively datamine me), and won't get one.

Also, Star Trek is even on Face Book? Is CBS *trying* to pander to the lowest common denominator that the general population is?
I am not on facebook either, for the same reasons. But if Star trek is going to advertise themselves on there, I dont see the problem, anymore then I see a problem with them advertising on channel 1 or channel 4, none of my business, especially the contest.

I fail to see your problem. Who cares where they advetise, or what opinion you have of facebook (or as your put it 'lowest common demoninator' - which is pretty elitist if you ask me)

None of my business, and none of yours, if you have no interest in facebook.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-28-2011, 03:29 PM
No loss to anyone if they don't want to enter or don't win since Star Trek episodes are all over the web anyway if you look around.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperLimited View Post
No loss to anyone if they don't want to enter or don't win since Star Trek episodes are all over the web anyway if you look around.
I fail to see how a rollseyes face makes stealing ok. Unless you referring to crappy off the air recordings, which are fine to make copies of, AFAIK.

To the other post; my problem is that I want to see more of the spirit of TNG and DS9, not more of the recent Star Trek movie which went the route of Generic Space Action movie with a brand name. One is selling to actual Star Trek fans, the other is selling to the lowest common denominator.

Edit: Lowest common denominator may sound bad, I know, but it puts a specific point across: A company is willing to water down something it has so it can make a boat load of money by being able to sell to a crap load of people. I dont want watered down products.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
I fail to see how a rollseyes face makes stealing ok. Unless you referring to crappy off the air recordings, which are fine to make copies of, AFAIK.
I'm not saying stealing is okay, I'm only stating that this kind of media is everywhere on the web for people to steal. It's the sad truth.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Welcome to Capitalism. If you don't like it, there are places you can go to avoid that "nasty business".
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
Welcome to Capitalism. If you don't like it, there are places you can go to avoid that "nasty business".
Your use of capitalism does not invalidate my point (I whole heartedly support capitalism. I wouldn't want to live in those "other places). There's a difference between a quality product, which costs more, and a crappy, watered down product, which costs less. Both methods generate money. I'm willing to go with the former method in regards to Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-28-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm afraid you won't win this argument. Facebook is a great resource actually, its helped me gain commission jobs for graphic art, it's put me in touch with long lost Army buddies, and friends. It's not unwise for them to use FB for big things as big companies even my college do.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Ofcourse they use Facebook, its a 'huge' resource for marketing, infact almost 1.4 million people are following the Star Trek Facebook page. As much as some people hate social media, it 'is' the way the internet is moving, more so with Web 2.0, you'd be crazy as a company not to use social medias like Facebook and Youtube (and to some extent Twitter), more so when using Facebook gives you the potential to expose your product to its 750 million active users.....

I'd hardly say that facebook is only used by "lowest common denominator that the general population is?" either, infact it's quite insulting to imply that anyone that uses Facebook falls into such a pidgeon hole.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-28-2011, 04:41 PM
To be fair, I can understand your skepticism, but Facebook isn't like Myspace. It is being used for professional interactions, lead hunting, talent hunting, among other things. In fact a hollywood movie being filmed used Facebook to open cast call through FB video's, the roles.