Lt. Commander
# 11
07-29-2011, 11:22 AM
well i respect the Op's position. at least he said it in a polite manner, even if i dont share his opinion.

i personally am dying for some new content, bit ive been pretty happy with the updates we have had. i love the ground combat update. if you said you were taking it away and giving me 5 new FE in its place im not sure id personally take it. I think the ground combat makes things so much better that i can accept a content gap.

the doff system should also be up my street, so again i can forgive them for a big content drought because the updates they are giving us are things i and others have asked for.

clearly the gap has annoyed people and perhaps they should have crammed one more FE series in and just pushed S4 back by a month or so, but whats done is done. the bugs have been annoying but they are getting squashed, so again i can live with them.

and devs some of us still love you, but now is the time to crank that content out. chop chop.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Lord Jesus, the tone of this post. Seriously? I mean dang, lumping together a whole group of people like that. STO has some issues but...give them SOME credit, dang. Do you realize this game could be Battlestar Galactica Online (i.e. ridiculously epic fail)?

In before the lock because...girl no
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
i just get the feeling they have a very small team of very talented people who can't put out content at anyware near the rate we want. well not if they want to sleep and see their families
Then I guess its time to find another mmo that has a bigger staff and give these guys a couple years to finally kick something out.

Pre orders have started for another huge staffed mmo too. The collectors edition has already sold out but 2 other versions are still avaible.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-29-2011, 11:40 AM
I've waited a couple of months, I can wait a few more weeks.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahless2001 View Post
I've waited a couple of months, I can wait a few more weeks.
What are you, in cryo. I's been 15 months!!!
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
It's no mere feeling; that's what dstahl has said time and time again.

MMOs never meet player demands (not even WoW) but it's even worse when a game is both bugged and has no new content in so long.
You know the one thing that's mileading - we DID get new content:

- New animations, graphics and a complete revamp of Gound combat <-- Ground is basiocally a new game.
- many new an reworked zones (all of which was requested by the playerbase at large.)

Again, as for 'content drought' - we did get 5 new missions from the start of February to the start of Marh (March 5th was the last); and after that two more remastered missions - one of which The Doomsday Device is honestly a new mission front to back as 99% or it was changed, front to back.

5 months in any MMO cycle is about average. EVE Online rerlases new content twice a year (every 6 months.) WoW does it's major client upgrades in a similar fashion. City of Heroes (under paragon) averages 4 - 7 months between updates.

All in all, I don't think Cryptic (or STO) is 'behind the curve' when it comes to new content developpment.

They did hit a BIG bump in te fact that the Doff system is delayed about a month, and the unexpected Foundry issues that the QA team missed at te laaunch of season 4; but it's not like they haven't beeen very upfront with what they're working on, or sitting back doing nothing for the game. They are working constantly.

If they can maintain their proposed FE release schedule once itb starts up again in a couple of months, I suspect the 'lack of new content' will be a non issue for most playrs fairly quickly; BUT, again, even o date, Crytic has been as fast (if not a bit faster then the majoprity of other MMO developers in this regard.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-29-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm not even sure what everyone's mad about. You guys are mad that the new FE didn't start yet? Let's be realistic here. The FE is 10-30 minutes of something to do once a week. It's certainly not going to fill up 3 hours a day of gaming. You're wanting a few new Daily Missions? They're going to seem just as grindy as the current Daily Missions after you've done them a few times. What big mad-rush of content were people expecting for Season 4? Cryptic never promised us even 10 new missions let alone enough to keep anyone busy for weeks or months.

They promised us some new FEs, with minimal breaks in between. They promised us some changed to the current STFs and maybe a new one. They promised us some new Dailies and some new Crafting sets. They promised us a change to DSEs. None of those promises were about a flood of content that would keep even a 1-hour casual player busy let alone a 3+ hour-a-day power-gamer.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
the stuff cryptic puts in this game is (almost) always awesome (or an accidental bug or 2... twenty... they'll be fixed)

i just get the feeling they have a very small team of very talented people who can't put out content at anyware near the rate we want. well not if they want to sleep and see their families
We players would be happy with new content every single day. But we're pretty reasonable in that we don't expect that.

Where the frustration comes from is the new content isn't even meeting the dev team's own projected schedule very well this year.

"Weekly" episodes that are nowhere near that.

When I first heard this idea I thought, you know, it could work out really well if they just keep to a television show schedule. So like 18 to 25 "episodes" per year. And the rest downtime between "seasons" of episodes.

But they did it differently. They do 5 weekly episodes per story arc. Then downtime between those.

But take too much downtime between the arcs. But we were told that was changing and starting with the next one, there'll be limited downtime between arcs.

But ... well ... I'm wondering if that's possible. Especially with how the Champions version of the same style of content generation seems to be undergoing the same problem of too much downtime between new comic "series."

New content is what being "online" is all about. And yeah, it gets consumed rabidly. And I still think the featured episode concept is genius. I just don't know if it's being done properly in 2011. Heh.
Lt. Commander
# 19 hahah anyone remember
07-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Quote:
the stuff cryptic puts in this game is (almost) always awesome (or an accidental bug or 2... twenty... they'll be fixed)

would any of you be shocked if i told you its not that they have a small team its that the team is working on multiple projects so you have champions, STO and never winter. this is the reason STO is buggy because they are using sto as a platform to get never winter right. this was leaked by the company executive last year when he said oh we knew we frack up on sto but its okay we have this other game that will be better.

players would be happy with quality content, just haveing new content is not the answer but content that is gear towards the mission and in your respective field can be done different ways. players want depth and function in content. not just go to a sector do some pew pew pew with a few donzon ships then go down to a planet and do some more pew pew pew then warp out after your done pewing.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-29-2011, 12:03 PM
The thing is FE's arnt end game content. I can finish the whole FE series in a day easily. Did it on a few of my maxed toons to get the race specific BO.

STF's on the other hand require cooperation and coordination and may take a week to complete. Some may NEVER complete them. Its something challenging that might be attempted for a month or more to try different stratagies.

FE's are a pacifier but these babies want their bottle!!!