Lt. Commander
# 1 Shooting Range
07-29-2011, 11:37 AM
I just had an idea. How about adding a shooting range of some sort where we can try out our weapons before or after we buy them.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-29-2011, 01:50 PM
In SWG they have a target dummy item, that you can place where ever you have permission to place items.
It has settable difficult level corresponding to NPCs and slecteable statistics.
Then you can shot, kick, punch etc it and any time you want it generates a detailed statistic of the attacks, misses, hits, criticals, elemental effects etc.

Very very useful.

A shooting range should have at least such a wide range of options to gather data from it. Its after all the function of a shooting range for training.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idali
In SWG they have a target dummy item, that you can place where ever you have permission to place items.
It has settable difficult level corresponding to NPCs and slecteable statistics.
Then you can shot, kick, punch etc it and any time you want it generates a detailed statistic of the attacks, misses, hits, criticals, elemental effects etc.

Very very useful.

A shooting range should have at least such a wide range of options to gather data from it. Its after all the function of a shooting range for training.
They also have a firing range in CO where you can test power damage. Why isn't that here, in STO, with all the holodecks?
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-29-2011, 02:02 PM
For ship weapons try a DSE. For ground, the Breen mission (Emancipation?) works well for me.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookssga View Post
I just had an idea. How about adding a shooting range of some sort where we can try out our weapons before or after we buy them.
umm hate to brake it to you but the folks over at Stoked already had this idea,for the New Academy
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-29-2011, 02:35 PM
I vote for the phaser range in TNG: A matter of hono(u)r

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/FilehaserRange.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-30-2011, 05:35 AM
Since this is the Third or Fourth Thread of this Title I have seen in the Year I have been on board, I would think the Developers already have this on the To-Do-List.

More to the Question: This would be a Great Component to place in the Holodeck they have placed in the Academy. They might add this in addition to the Mission Re-Play that they have there. Problem, as I see it, would be to get from the Weapons Purchase to the Holodeck without committing to the weapons first.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-30-2011, 06:57 AM
I created a firing range in the Foundry back when it went live on Tribble, but it's down right now. :-(
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_Glory
I created a firing range in the Foundry back when it went live on Tribble, but it's down right now. :-(
I was going to say foundry missions seems a very good interim option and can give you experience.

Thank you for building one. Any ETA on restoring it?

My curiosity is if you have enough tools to make it similar to the target ranges we've seen in the shows with the glowy light targets. It was an excellent format, provides opportunities for competition now that we have the shooter mode, and so on.

This highlights by the way another point that seriously needs address I should raise elsewhere.

The Foundry system needs ways to classify mission types, for things like simulation/testing, actual field missions, social spaces, and so on. We've already started classifying these in titles but title searching is far too dilute to intelligently find what we are looking for most times unless we already KNOW the title in foundry.

Just a thought.