Lt. Commander
#1: Phaser battles at warp speed

The episode "Bounty" features two ships at warp exchanging phaser fire. Phasers are completely ineffective at superluminal speeds because the firing ship and it's target are both traveling faster than the light which forms the phaser beam. Photon torpedos were invented for faster-than-light combat.

Feel free to add more but let's keep it jovial. Nobody likes a flame war.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-30-2011, 04:39 AM
We've also seen phasers fired in DS9 and Voyager whilst at warp, Kirk tried to fire them in the first star Trek film as well, but couldn't because the power for the phasers ran though the warp core (not because the ship was traveling at warp speed).....

The best reason I've seen to describe why its possabile is that the phaser is existing within the ships warpbubble, thus it's abiltiy to be fired between ships that are very close in warp (with warp fields overlapping).
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-30-2011, 04:43 AM
Yeah, I could feasibly buy that if I didn't know from reading ST technical manuals that torpedoes were added to ships' arsenals to overcome the inability to fight at warp speed due to the reason mentioned above. I can imagine it being disastrous to fire a forward phaser array at warp speed, and a complete waste of time to fire an aft array.

#2: All those pockets and never a thing in them.

Those blue jumpsuits come with about 6 or 7 pockets and I've never seen any of the crew have so much as a pen or a screwdriver in one. Trip should always have some kind of tool at hand (you could argue that Malcolm fits that bill lol)
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-30-2011, 04:47 AM
Tech manuals are soft canon at best. Also, aren't we forgetting that the ship weapons in ENT were 'Phase Cannons"? Who knows, they could work totally differently.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Well, it was alien ships, not the NX that was battling at warp, but I doubt you'll get much support for calling the Okudas' tech manuals "soft canon". The limitations of light-based weaponry at FTL speeds should be obvious.

They're running an Enterprise marathon on Sky Atlantic today, and the final episode is about to start, so at least I'll get to see how this whole, sorry saga ends.. (I mean it has it's moments, but it's never really grabbed me). I think I'm just too much of a Roddenberry purist.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-30-2011, 05:51 AM
Phasers are not light based weapons though, they are focused beams of phased energy. The tech manual are soft canon though. I don't recall Roddenberry ever going on record and saying that Photon Torpedos were generated solely for warp battles.

I always considered torpedos a dangerous weapon to use, because of the subpsace shockwaves and the like generated by thier explosions, surely this wouŽld be risky as it could destabilise the warp field (good if you disable the enemies warpfield, bad if your's gets destabilsed though!).

Eitherway, battles at warp using phasers have happened in almost all the series, so not really a reason to mark ENT down on it ;-)
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-30-2011, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo

The episode "Bounty" features two ships at warp exchanging phaser fire. Phasers are completely ineffective at superluminal speeds because the firing ship and it's target are both traveling faster than the light which forms the phaser beam. Photon torpedos were invented for faster-than-light combat.

lol

in that case no Star Trek Series EVER had any credibility.

I think this is some sort of running gag by now... and the authors are just screwing with us.

it doesn't matter if it's TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT.

In some episode someone allways will bring the line and the explanation why Phasers can NEVER be fired at Warp.... and allways just a few episodes after that statement you will see them shooting beams at each other at Warpspeed and nobody cares.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-30-2011, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
Phasers are not light based weapons though, they are focused beams of phased energy. The tech manual are soft canon though. I don't recall Roddenberry ever going on record and saying that Photon Torpedos were generated solely for warp battles.
Quoting for emphasis.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-30-2011, 07:55 AM
The only Canon thing about Trek...honestly is contradiction anyway.

I wish people would stop trying to bash ENT....It's like the argument with TAS...Quit beating a dead horse.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo

So long story short:

This is one of those 1 sided threads that the OP will never change his/her opinion on?

----------

Enterprise is canon, deal with it