Lt. Commander
# 11
08-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
#1: Phaser battles at warp speed

The episode "Bounty" features two ships at warp exchanging phaser fire. Phasers are completely ineffective at superluminal speeds because the firing ship and it's target are both traveling faster than the light which forms the phaser beam. Photon torpedos were invented for faster-than-light combat.

Feel free to add more but let's keep it jovial. Nobody likes a flame war.
So then TOS has no credibility either, I take it?
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Enterprise failed because the writers didn't write characters but some sort of weird, brain sick people.

We have t'pol. as much a vulcan as my foot is a car.

Archer, that guy had virtualy no coherent character. raging MADMAN in one episode and actually compelling in another episode. it goes back and force like some sort of mad pendulum.

The redneck ****** chief engineer. The weapons guy, whohas about 0.5 dimensions.

Lets not forget that archer LET A WHOLE SPECIES DIE INTENTIONALLY and then had the GULL to whine to the organians about them doing the same to him and his people....

Oh yes. and alien space nazis.

hah. that series is not part of star trek. i refuse. its some weird fake historical holo program for fat commanders in crisis of conscience.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
Enterprise failed because the writers didn't write characters but some sort of weird, brain sick people.

Oh yes. and alien space nazis.

hah. that series is not part of star trek. i refuse. its some weird fake historical holo program for fat commanders in crisis of conscience.
You know that alien space nazi's first appeared in Star Trek in the original series right? :p

To be honest, I actually quite enjoyed ENT, although season 3 dragged on a bit, would of much rather seen the sphere builder arc reduced to perhaps a 6 episode arc. Season 4's triple episode arcs were really great and to be honest, I really think the show was coming along nicely before it got canceled (especially if we forgot the very last episode that was an insult to the fans!).

Most of the series had bad episodes, some of Voyagers and DS9's episodes my me cringe, but overall, I wouldn't consider ENT on a lower level than any of the other series. I think many people forget that many directors/producers/writers worked acrross TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT, they didn't have completely different crews working on them and lets face it, all of the series were 'wobbly' in thie first few seasons as the characters were developed, sadly ENT got canceled just as the series was getting to the point where most Trek series get really good.

For the record, I used to hate ENT and refused to watch it because of all the negative hype about how it wasn't Trek, it wasn't until I bought the boxset (to complete my Trek collection) that I actually watched it and realised how warped my opinions of ENT had been just from people ranting online and just because the ship looked similar to the Akira, lol
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I agree with Suricata. I rather enjoyed the series. Yes, the first two seasons were a bit wobbly, but not nearly as wobbly as TNG's first two seasons. Season 3 was terrific, and Season 4 was outstanding television.

The "why it failed" discussion would be long and complicated, and likely not satisfy the nerdrage around here so there's probably not much point in going into it. But overall I'd argue that ENT's hit/miss ratio was better than Voyager's.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-01-2011, 03:11 PM
I would have to agree with clayer a bit on this. The reason Enterprise has almost no credibility among Star Trek fans is because of the very thin characterization of every character in it. Not to mention breaches of cannon an example of this is the borg incident on the show. To me the inconsistencies in the writing made most these episodes terrible.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_E_D_Allen89
I would have to agree with clayer a bit on this. The reason Enterprise has almost no credibility among Star Trek fans is because of the very thin characterization of every character in it. Not to mention breaches of cannon an example of this is the borg incident on the show. To me the inconsistencies in the writing made most these episodes terrible.
The borg episode was very well done I felt, it was a really good way of using the events of First Contact and tieing them in with the show. It wasn't like the Borg just strolled into the Alpha quadrant, the events of First Contact are what put Borg into an earlier timeframe (theres a reason temporal paradoxes give people headaches) :-P

If you want to mock Enterprise, use 'These are the Voyages' as an example :-)

It does have credibilty amongst Star Trek fans, just some fans don't like it, just like some fans refues to recognise Voyager, hell, i've met some hardcore TOS fans that don't like to even recognise TNG as Star Trek, lol
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
The borg episode was very well done I felt, it was a really good way of using the events of First Contact and tieing them in with the show. It wasn't like the Borg just strolled into the Alpha quadrant, the events of First Contact are what put Borg into an earlier timeframe (theres a reason temporal paradoxes give people headaches) :-P

If you want to mock Enterprise, use 'These are the Voyages' as an example :-)

It does have credibilty amongst Star Trek fans, just some fans don't like it, just like some fans refues to recognise Voyager, hell, i've met some hardcore TOS fans that don't like to even recognise TNG as Star Trek, lol
Funny thing was the only thing I especially mock is the characterization of the characters. The finale is certainly on that list but it has been argued so many times and generally disliked anyways. The final characterization I really have to say was improving but they killed off the wrong member of the cast.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-01-2011, 04:02 PM
I havn't seen this one complaint yet... In the intro of the show they never show the words Star Trek, only Enterprise. And what is up with the song? It has a Dawson's Creek feel to it, not Trek. That's a main reason why I am having a hard time staying into the show
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislove View Post
I havn't seen this one complaint yet... In the intro of the show they never show the words Star Trek, only Enterprise. And what is up with the song? It has a Dawson's Creek feel to it, not Trek. That's a main reason why I am having a hard time staying into the show
They wanted to break away from classical themes, while I enjoyed the song myself because it was a homage to the franchise itself.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I still say if UPN hadn't failed miserably as a network and could have afforded to properly budget the show, or allowed another network to pick up the show....We might see something very different.

IMO, Enterprise was improving by leaps and bounds during the final season...mostly due to Manny Coto coming in as an Exec Producer and writer in 2003.....

*IF* Manny had gotten another season out of UPN...I think ENT may have lasted for a total of 7 seasons...No one allowed the cast to really develop until S3...and they really didn't get that much development until then...which really is sad....There was a LOT of potential there.