Lt. Commander
# 21
08-01-2011, 11:06 PM
The thing that gets me about the borg episode is that after meeting a species as dangerous as the borg, the Enterprise crew didn't bother mentioning it to anybody, as evidenced by the federation having absolutely nothing on them in the TNG era.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-01-2011, 11:23 PM
I liked Malcolm Reed... he felt like the one character on the show that was mentally challenged or a sociopath, and I thank him for it.

Really, Enterprise's failings were the writing. Yes, it picked up very nicely towards the end... but too little, too late. There's very little that's "wow, that was stupid" verbally enducing in any of the first two seasons of any of the other series... and often they were quickly erased from memory thanks to excellent episodes. All ENT had early was mostly terrible writing and then a handful of decent episodes... by the time they got the quality stuff rolling, too much damage had be done. A shame, too, there were some legitimately great stories and ideas starting to come out of it.

However, when I think about Enterprise I still mostly think about:

1. Archer and Phlox committing genocide because either the writers dont' understand evolution or they want us to believe the characters don't... either way it hurts my brain to think about.

2. Trip getting ***** and we're supposed to find it funny

3. How ridiculously lame the Suliban were, and how thankful I was they didn't stick around too much.

4. Trip, the chief engineer of the ship, lamenting "I was never any good at math". You can't have a Southerner, give him one of the most intellectually demanding jobs on the ship, and then go "well, he's from the South... so let's play up the ol' dumb hillbilly stereotype". Thank god Trip died.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertwin View Post
The thing that gets me about the borg episode is that after meeting a species as dangerous as the borg, the Enterprise crew didn't bother mentioning it to anybody, as evidenced by the federation having absolutely nothing on them in the TNG era.
Also a good point. I'm cool with them messing with established canon a bit, especially if the result is something awesome... but it wasn't an awesome episode, and it really, really toyed with a lot of established stuff. It's poor writing no matter how you shake it, and it mostly just makes the ENT crew look (once again) like a bunch of bumbling morons.

However, I did like their attempt to rectify the Klingon issue. Maybe it helped cause the idea of Uncle Phil as a Klingon is an awesome one.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertwin View Post
Could just be that the info was deemed 'super duper top secret' as the threat wasn't super immediate and they didn't want rash actions to cause and then during the formation of the Federation it was lost in paperwork? lol
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislove View Post
[...]And what is up with the song?[...]
*shudders* That song is the real reason why the series is shunned so much.

I give you two more tid bits to think about.

First: ENT wasn't cancelled, the network running it was cancelled.

Second: If you only had the first season of each series to compare....

Enjoy
Lt. Commander
# 26 Try a real warp theory paper?
08-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
#1: Phaser battles at warp speed

The episode "Bounty" features two ships at warp exchanging phaser fire. Phasers are completely ineffective at superluminal speeds because the firing ship and it's target are both traveling faster than the light which forms the phaser beam. Photon torpedos were invented for faster-than-light combat.

[COLOR=warp bubble around the object so in theory you are not moving faster then light"Wheat"]Feel free to add more but let's keep it jovial. Nobody likes a flame war.[/color]
Well to make something as big as a ship or as small as a atom travel from one place in our universe to another faster then light from the same point as the light source you speak of you need to extend a warp bubble around the object. So in theory you are not moving faster then light. Come on I know ST is fun and all but people have been working on this for real for a very long time now.
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedom View Post
*shudders* That song is the real reason why the series is shunned so much.

I give you two more tid bits to think about.

First: ENT wasn't cancelled, the network running it was cancelled.

Second: If you only had the first season of each series to compare....

Enjoy
Actually, it WAS canceled: UPN announced they were ending it before they merged with WB. UPN ending had little to do with it, as a number of their shows (like Everybody Hates Chris and Veronic Mars) continued on the CW following the merger. Maybe if it had better ratings it would've survived, but that wasn't the case.

So yes, Enterprise WAS canceled, and very well probably would've been regardless if UPN had continued or not. Meanwhile, the only show to still survive from UPN... America's Next Top Model!!! And only One Tree Hill and Supernatural remain from the WB... here's to hoping Supernatural is the last one going, as its reward for being the only ones of those three to not suck.
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-02-2011, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel-Hyena
stuff
Shush! I liked ENT. There. Happy now?

I also would have liked a second season of Space: Above and Beyond.
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-02-2011, 01:49 AM
One reason your thread is wrong: Enterprise has been declared Canon by the IP owner.
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel-Hyena
Actually, it WAS canceled: UPN announced they were ending it before they merged with WB. UPN ending had little to do with it, as a number of their shows (like Everybody Hates Chris and Veronic Mars) continued on the CW following the merger. Maybe if it had better ratings it would've survived, but that wasn't the case.

So yes, Enterprise WAS canceled, and very well probably would've been regardless if UPN had continued or not. Meanwhile, the only show to still survive from UPN... America's Next Top Model!!! And only One Tree Hill and Supernatural remain from the WB... here's to hoping Supernatural is the last one going, as its reward for being the only ones of those three to not suck.
Actually...Enterprise was the most expensive show on the network. That was the primary reason for cancellation. They couldn't afford the show. Cancelling didn't save UPN....ENT's ratings were improving during the final season...but the money just wasn't there.