Lt. Commander
# 1 A thought
07-31-2011, 02:11 AM
I like the idea of the Dreadnought, my problem is its age, meaning Galaxy class ships are out of date. At this time pariod it would be the same as constitution class in 24 century, when the Galaxy class was new. So now i come to my point, and question.

Would it be possible to get a new skin on the Dreadnoughts. I had the thought of using the Nobal class texture on it, but keeping the same structure as a Galaxy class starship. I think that would present a really good modern version of Federation Dreadnought.

Maybe its more complicated then that i dont know, but i think it would be cool, just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-03-2011, 12:59 AM
First off, sorry if this gets a tad off-topic or gets a little preachy, but this has been building up for a while

How I see it when it comes to some of the older ship designs, is it has never been stated that they ever actually QUIT building new ships from those designs. So for me, I assume that what has happened is that they pulled out the blueprints, updated the designs with new systems and proceeded to crank out new ships. Definatly would be a shorter development and build cycle than constantly designing, testing, redesigning and retesting new designs every decade or so.

And I'm not just making stuff up at random here either. I did a little digging and found at least two examples of current aircraft that have been in continuous production since the 1960's. The C-130 Hercules and the CH-47 Chinook were first designed over 50 years ago and they are still updating the designs and building new planes and helicopters even today.

Same principle would apply for starships. Designs such as the Constitution, Miranda and Excelsior are old designs, but they were proven, reliable workhorses that were tough as nails. Why go through designing an entirely new class and spend years ironing out the bugs when you have perfectly good classes that you can update and quickly start cranking 'em out of the shipyards? Especially with a war on, you don't have the time to spend a few years designing a new ship just for the war, you dust off the old plans and start up production again.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-03-2011, 05:07 AM
I see both points but since those are old reliable models why not design something new and something our enemies have NO IDEA what it is capable of. Heck like actual Corbonite or something. Trust me wartime we need new things that are based on combat data, field data, and data from research. Heck the Odyssey class is a step forward, and would enjoy seeing new ships. Since we are also fighting the borg why not adapt to that .
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Even better is to use older designs that the enemy assumes to know the capabilities of. That's when you unleash on them the new updates that they don't expect.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Wasn't the Galaxy designed to have a 100 year service life with upgrades and refits?
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Funny that you mention Connies to be active in the 24'th century.

The connie was present at the battle of Wolf 359...
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haglahay
Even better is to use older designs that the enemy assumes to the capabilities of. That's when you unleash on them the new updates that they don't expect.
Also a great tactic. Still wouldn't hurt to have new ships though. I do agree they need a new dreadnought one with perhaps 2-3k in crew, 3-4 degrees in turning, massive hull, 8 total weapon slots, 4 of each console type, a better power system than some might suggest but still would need EPS relays, as far as weapons type beam arrays cannons and the usual, as far as a special ability nope that would be the sacrifice for the console slots and maybe BO slots.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadebalran View Post
. . . So for me, I assume that what has happened is that they pulled out the blueprints, updated the designs with new systems and proceeded to crank out new ships. Definatly would be a shorter development and build cycle than constantly designing, testing, redesigning and retesting new designs every decade or so . . .
Respectfully, I don't think this is how it can work. Take the example of naval ships: those evolve according to design needs. E.g., once they started throwing bombs on aircraft carriers, their decks needed to be armored, which made them heavier, which meant they needed to be broader so they wouldn't become top-heavy; the new destroyers don't look so sleek to be sexy, but because it reflects new stealth technology.

Accordingly, I imagine Starfleet vessels don't get new designs because the guys at Utopia Planitia are trying to win art awards, but because they design new systems and then throw a skin/hull around it. (Just our luck that they all happen to look great.)
In fact, there are background facts to support this (though I'm afraid I can't source them): I read somewhere that the way the Intrepid- and Sovereign-Class nacelles are angled is due to a new engine design, and that the placement of the nacelles in respect to the primary hull (= saucer section) has to do with the functionality of the buzzard collectors.

Which means, while you can update designs you can't replace them with new ones. E.g. the Defiants design of drawing phaser power directly from the engines is so dependent upon the design of the whole ship that you can't just put it into an existing ship design (though you can design a new ship so it will incorporate new technologies).
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-03-2011, 03:04 PM
A Galaxy class starship would still be a formidable opponent in the current timeline, and many times the Enterprise-D was asked back for computer or engine upgrades.

Many current warmachines are decades old designs, but are built or refitted with the latest technology. The majority of the US military are things designed in the late 60s to early 70s. The F-22 is already a 20 year old design but they have upgraded its software a few times.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadebalran View Post

The C-130 Hercules and the CH-47 Chinook were first designed over 50 years ago and they are still updating the designs and building new planes and helicopters even today.
The B-52, while no longer in production, has continued to receive retrofits since the last one rolled off the line in 1962. It's still the most formidable bomber in the USAF's fleet.